INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: * NEWBIE SETUP QUESTION * PLEASE HELP!!! I've looked everywhere....  (Read 2564 times)

jahriel12

• Recent member

Hello everyone,

I have been reading countless forums, on here, AVS Forums, and others as well.  I just cannot seem to find out how to configure my setup. 

I have JRiver on my laptop (MC19).  All of my media files are on a Synology DS1513+.  I want to be able to use JRiver to push media from the NAS to my A/V Receiver (Yamaha RX-A3020) where it will be distributed to whatever Zone I select. 

Seems pretty simple, but I must be an IDIOT  :o because I just don't understand how to do this. I'm currently in Afghanistan, but will be home in 2 weeks.  I'd like to understand the setup so I can hit the ground running when I get home.  However, it seems I might need a HTPC to handle this.  Or perhaps a mini-pc?   ?  Or I have thought of even using an Oppo BDP-105, but if I am just going to pass the signal thru with HDMI cords it seems silly to spend $1200.  And if I utilize the onboard DAC's of the Oppo (and the 7.1 and Stereo Outputs) then why have the Yamaha?  ?

I'm sure there is a logical solution to this.  Maybe I just need a mini-pc as I stated earlier, that will connect to the NAS, and can then connect to the AVR......

Is this logic correct -

Router => NAS => Mini-PC => AVR

If it is, I have even ore questions.  Because what sort of connections should I look for an the mini-PC?  I'd like to be able to stream simultaneous media from the NAS to the AVR and then be able to distribute it to any of the 4 Zones available thru my AVR.

I'm so sorry to be an absolute moron, but please help!!!  I'm totally lost.....

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: * NEWBIE SETUP QUESTION * PLEASE HELP!!! I've looked everywhere....
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:51:58 pm »

Hi,  I have a Yami as well and can offer a few ideas.  Firstly - Have a read of the Wiki

PS - are you after just Audio or Video as well in this setup?

Setup 1:  This is the most limited method (only supports 2ch Audio & no video files) and all devices need to be on the network.
- Renderer = Yami (must be in PC Mode)
- Control Point & Library = MC on your Laptop (MC will see the Yami and the files on the Synology and can then push the files to the Yami)
- File Server = Synology
- Optional Control Point = Gizmo etc on a phone.  There is also a Yami app on Playstore (I presume there is also one on itunes) where you can then control the Yami's Vol, Zones etc.

Setup 2:  This is a much more flexible setup and supports all video and audio formats.  The main difference is you need to connect your Laptop or a HTPC to the Yami itself over HDMI for example
- Renderer = MC Running on an HTPC connected to the Yami over HDMI (for amplification to the zones).
- Control Point & Library = Can be the same HTPC/Laptop
- File Server = Synology
- Optional Control Point = Gizmo etc on a phone.  There is also a Yami app on Playstore (I presume there is also one on itunes) where you can then control the Yami's Vol, Zones etc.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jahriel12

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 07:21:00 pm »

Nathan,

Thanks so much for your response!  I've been searching for a simple answer for a LONG time.  Finally, this seems to be what I was looking for. 

So it seems the BEST solution would be to have a dedicated HTPC, running JRiver MC, connected via HDMI to the Yamaha.  I'm assuming then that on the Yami I would select the AV# input that is connected to the HTPC?

Also, will Setup 2 allow me to view JRiver on my TV?  I'd like to be able to use Theater View to select music, movies, etc...  Or will I just be able to view it on tablet, smartphone, etc?

I'm sorry for such dumb questions.  I have read the wiki's, and tons of other stuff.  It gives general info, not specific configuration info.  Would be nice if there was such a thing.  I mean, there must be tons of people out there that want to use JRiver but keep and use their AVR, no? 

Thanks again!

~Jay

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 07:42:19 pm »

Hi Jay,
That is correct.  If you use an HTPC connected to your Yami, via HDMI to AV Input # (eg the same as if you have your DVD connected) but you get:
- MC's GUI including TheaterView (good for using a Universal Remote Control for on screen navigation)
- Support for all the Video and Audio formats you can poke a stick at (MC does the video and audio rendering to pass to the Yami that amplifies the sound and passes the Video onto the TV)
- You can then use the Yami's setup to play to zones etc (including All Zones "Party Mode")

I addition,
- You can remotely control MC from a phone (see the "Remotes" forum on various apps)
- You can remotely control the Yami from a phone (with the Yami app)
- If you also run an audio cable from your "analogue out" on the HTPC to one of the inputs on the Yami you can then have two different sources being played to two different Zones.  Eg, you could have the kids watching a Movie on the Main Zone while playing music to Zone 2.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »

Here is a crude pic that may help. 
1) Connect the HTPC, NAS, Yami etc up on using Ethernet if you can (most reliable)
2) Use the Wireless connection for your Remote Android/iPhone Apps
3) Use a universal IR RC to control the HTPC/Yami/TV
4) User HDMI between the HTPC >> Yami >> TV
5) Optionally add the Analoge Audio Cable
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:40:55 pm »

Also if your HTPC has a BD drive in it you will end up with better picture quality using the HTPC than the Oppo for also playing back physical discs.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
JRiver CEO Elect

jahriel12

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 03:03:48 pm »

;D

GUYS - THANK YOU!!

This is really all that I have been looking for, just some simple guidance on how to configure the components.  Most people here probably know this stuff already, but I was really  :o confused.  Not anymore!!! :D

So now I will begin my quest to assemble a kicka$$ HTPC.  I'll hop on over to that forum and read as much as I can.  I am half-tempted to just buy one - like the Assassin.  But the idea of building one just seems so much better - and cheaper!  lol.

Oh, one other quick question - does the Universal IR Remote connect to the HTPC, or to the Yamaha?  And is there one that you recommend and KNOW works?

Also if your HTPC has a BD drive in it you will end up with better picture quality using the HTPC than the Oppo for also playing back physical discs.

Jmone - so PC D players are better than the Oppo?  That surprises me.  Or is it just that MC does a better job with the video?  Or is it that there are video cards out there that are better than the Oppo?  If so, what do you recommend?  Ahhh....so many darn questions.....

Again, thanks so much guys.  Truly, this is one of the things that makes JRiver so great - feedback from people with more knowledge.  I'll be sure to share what I learn along the way with others that may face similar problems...

~Jay

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 05:44:36 pm »

You may want to post any HTPC Build Q over in the PC / and on the Video Card boards

Basically you need to think on what you want your HTPC to do (as it will have a very big impact on the specs), eg, Something like this little NUC gets you going.  But if you want the best possible Video Output to a big screen then you will need something that takes a modern (and relatively high end) GPU.  With the right GPU and settings, the Video Output will be better than the Oppo but it if then really depends if you care (eg I do, but my family does not see the difference).
JRiver CEO Elect

jahriel12

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:55:20 pm »

Ok, so I decided to take the plunge and build a HTPC....

I know this is off-topic, but I figured since you guys were so helpful I would share my solution...

Here's what I got:

5 x ($184.99) HGST Deskstar NAS H3IKNAS40003272SN(0S03664) 4TB
1 x ($339.99) Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA
1 x ($149.99) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s
1 x ($144.99) ASRock Z87 Extreme4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6
1 x ($139.99) Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
1 x ($139.99) SeaSonic SS-520FL2 520W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM
1 x ($97.99) ASUS PCE-AC68 Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Adapter IE
1 x ($85.99) Pioneer Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-R
1 x ($72.99) HyperX Fury Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 160

1 x ($133.00) SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum / Steel Grandia Series

1 x ($79.99) Lenovo Multimedia Remote Keyboard N5902

1 X Atech Flash Pro-77U USB 3.0 True SuperSpeed Internal Flash Memory Card Reader w/ Front 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub for 5.25 Inch Drive Bay

1 X Logitech Harmony One Advanced Touch Screen LCD Universal Remote Control

1 X HP USB MCE IR Infrared Wireless remote Receiver Windows 7

I guess we'll see how it all works when I get home and put it together!  I opted for an all-in-one solution, rather than a HTPC and a separate NAS.

Thanks again guys!!

~Jay

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 10:04:53 pm »

That will get you going for sure!  Pending your video quality preferences you may want to think about a seperate GPU at some stage but see how you go first.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up