INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20 Faster?  (Read 5038 times)

TimberHo

• Recent member
MC 20 Faster?
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:54:13 pm »

Curious about how much faster MC20 will be compared to MC19?  I have a decent notebook today i5 proc, SSD....and often run into lag issues even with the prebuffering all the way up.  Any suggestions would be helpful too.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 20 Faster?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:13:50 pm »

While we always work to make new versions more efficient, its doubtful MC20 will see many significant gains, as MC today is already very optimized as it is.

It doesnt sound like your system should have big issues playing, so maybe something else is going wrong.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TimberHo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:11:19 pm »

Ok...got any pics of what the new interface looks like?

Duke2010

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:33:55 am »

+1 for both of these questions.

Since MC19 I get the odd stutter now and then, never used to happen before on older versions. I have an i7 with 16Gb, SSD blah blah, basically plenty fast enough, I use it for audio production and it hammers anything I throw at it.

It doesn't stutter very often but it does do it. Maybe its happening during a cheeky anti virus update or other random OS task. I don't know the full ins and outs of how it processes but it seems like the software is running on a bit of a knife edge. That cant be a good thing even for people running on a totally dedicated build. (I have it set at play from RAM)

Also I think MC is due a GUI refresh. Its starting to look real old and clunky. If you ask me its time to lay off squeezing in more  features and start tidying up whats already there. If it looks the part and is easy to use maybe I could actually get my girlfriend to enjoy it instead of her loading up itunes and Spotify! :'(  :'(

Anyway that's my two cents. I have been with MC for a long time now and usually get the advance upgrade deals but I don't think I will this time. Some teaser screenshots of the new version would be a big help. Otherwise Im going to see what actually gets released, see if its worth the upgrade or not.

rogervb

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 03:16:41 am »

+1

The GUI really needs an update, it looks very outdated while the features are not!

Maybe you should consider a new logo as well

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:11:32 am »

Whoa there tiger..  :o

Take it easy on the new interface request angle. I'd caution to not follow the M$ approach of change because the box may look "well loved". I still have issues with the changes in the Office GUI. I laugh painfully when I see it referred to as "productivity software".

I would hope a GUI change (when ... IF) it happens gets a clear transition plan that caters for the dinosaurs in the group who belong to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

ogs

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 05:01:40 am »

I still have issued with the changes in the Office GUI. I laugh painfully when I see it referred to as "productivity software".

And I feel pain when I see the Ribbon in the Office GUI. I really hope JRiver is not going in that direction *if* there is a change of looks in the pipe line..
Readynas Ultra 2 Plus - Audiolense 4.13XO - MC 21 DLNA & DSP - upmpdcli/MPD - UpTone Regen - Devialet 250

Duke2010

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 05:02:27 am »

Take it easy on the new interface request angle. I'd caution to not follow the M$ approach of change because the box may look "well loved". I still have issued with the changes in the Office GUI. I laugh painfully when I see it referred to as "productivity software".

I would hope a GUI change (when ... IF) it happens gets a clear transition plan that caters for the dinosaurs in the group who belong to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset.

You are right, it definitely needs to be done in a considered way.. Maybe the option to toggle between the new gui and oldskool gui same as we swap between theater and mini view. I would imagine a new gui would take a few versions to get right, so switching between them would be good.

It wouldn't be easy to revamp the GUI but that doesn't mean it should never happen. It has to be done eventually!

It becomes a problem with all software when the developer tries to please absolutely everyone. sometimes you just have to start again fresh and concentrate on the most important features. Look at how it helped Apple when they started from scratch with OSX. It upset people but it was the best thing in the long run.

You know Im looking at this from the point of view of the music production software I use. There is a new DAW on the block called Bitwig. I can see from using it that they have designed it from scratch to solve a lot of the problems that haunt older DAWs on the market. For example its optimized for 64bit and multi-core support. It has built in plug-in crash protection. The workflow has been thought out from scratch so its really easy and quick to use. Bitwig is still version 1 so doesn't have quite as many features as the oldskool DAWs but its very refreshing to use. Compared to the older FL Studio which is now on version 11, with loads of features shoe horned in but still on the same old core. They are stuck with legacy, stuck trying not to upset anyone. Its only a matter of time before Bitwig catches up on features too, then what?

So how does that relate to MC? The main reason I use MC is because it supports Asio. when I strip it down to the basics that is the number one reason I use it, because its the best player available that supports Asio. what happens if a new fresh, good looking, easy to use music player was to be released that also supports Asio? Food for thought!

My view is JRiver should step back, think about the most important stand out features of what makes MC great then build based around that. Hey maybe even fork the software in two! Im just thinking aloud here but the overall vision is the most important thing not an endless list of features.

Sesam

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 05:23:18 am »

Take it easy on the new interface request angle. I'd caution to not follow the M$ approach of change because the box may look "well loved". I still have issued with the changes in the Office GUI. I laugh painfully when I see it referred to as "productivity software".

Agreed, I have to make it clear that the reason why I bought MC in the first place and continue buying updates, is because I like the GUI. I dislike and avoid any software that has the Ribbon or Metro style GUI. And I have completely abandoned some software I had been using for years because of it (Cyberlinks applications for example). Also, the freedom to use any GUI I like is the main reason I'm gradually migrating to Linux.

Sure more themes/GUI choices would not hurt (I have never been a big fan of most of MC's Theater themes for example), but I just want to make a point that any drastic change to the GUI needs to be optional (as to not alienate the existing userbase).

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 06:11:24 am »

Since MC19 I get the odd stutter now and then, never used to happen before on older versions. I have an i7 with 16Gb, SSD blah blah, basically plenty fast enough, I use it for audio production and it hammers anything I throw at it.

It doesn't stutter very often but it does do it. Maybe its happening during a cheeky anti virus update or other random OS task. I don't know the full ins and outs of how it processes but it seems like the software is running on a bit of a knife edge. That cant be a good thing even for people running on a totally dedicated build. (I have it set at play from RAM)
It's probably because MC19 greatly increased the CPU requirements for smooth playback with Memory Playback enabled, and broke its immunity to slow disk/network access:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90665.0

I've been complaining about this since the changes were made. Hopefully MC20 will fix it.

Duke2010

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 06:28:14 am »

The revamp doesn't have to be drastic. I have never seen an audio player with a ribbon GUI anyway. the whole MC interface is looking really dated and some of the really important features are buried away. Its just about usability really. What are the most used features, features that JRiver consider the most important, put them at the forefront of the application not buried away so you have to Google to find them.

Then modernize the look so it compares to other software. The way playlists are displayed are really unappealing for example. If Im playing music and someone goes over to use MC, they literally don't know what they are looking at! Even the shuffle options are tucked away.

You shouldn't have to learn a media player, the main features should be intuitive. The most important features right there ready to go and then anything else out of the ordinary tucked away for the people that want get deep to play around with. I think that's what people expect from modern software these days (especially paid software).

Duke2010

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 06:36:46 am »

I've been complaining about this since the changes were made. Hopefully MC20 will fix it.

I hope so! But this time Im going to wait and find out, not just blindly pay for an upgrade. Hopefully JRiver will release some teaser  info and screenshots on what MC20 will bring us. The last versions to me have just been interim updates not worthy of a full new release number. Although the JRiver audio engine as an Asio driver was a really cool addition on MC19!

P.S. I really dont want to sound like a complete confrontational moaner. I still really like MC and use it all of the time. That's why Im making some effort to put my points across and maybe help towards improving the software!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 06:42:56 am »

It's probably because MC19 greatly increased the CPU requirements for smooth playback with Memory Playback enabled, and broke its immunity to slow disk/network access:

Noone even mentioned memory playback in this thread. We realize you are passionate about this feature, but please stop trying to blame every kind of playback problem on it to push your opinion.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 07:32:37 am »

Noone even mentioned memory playback in this thread. We realize you are passionate about this feature, but please stop trying to blame every kind of playback problem on it to push your opinion.
I have highlighted the relevant sections:

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 07:37:53 am »

Well then the recommendation should be to simply turn that option off. Anything else is not helpful.
We generally do not recommend using that option.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 07:41:34 am »

Nobody doubts that you have a problem.  Perhaps others do, too.  We just don't see the cause as clearly as you seem to do.

Factors like antivirus and NAS drives can account for some pretty strange behavior.

If it is an MC problem, as you believe, we will find it.

Meanwhile, it would be nice if you'd continue to use the thread you started on the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up