INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQ] UI scaled for high resolution monitors  (Read 3425 times)

koshia

• Recent member
[REQ] UI scaled for high resolution monitors
« on: July 31, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »

I have a dell m3800 with 3200x1800 resolution - while windows 8 scales most software, i think the software itself has to be compatible to be scaled.

Right now all options within JRiver client are tiny texts and buttons.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: [REQ] UI scaled for high resolution monitors
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:44:01 pm »

Under the View menu, try the Size option.

Also, try Theater View.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:45:35 pm »

Media Center already supports scaling if you are using the Noire skin, or any others which do.
View → Size should let you set up to 200% size.

There is a long-standing bug where the fonts would be scaled using your Windows DPI settings, and the rest of the UI would not, but you don't seem to be affected by that, since you are complaining that text is too small. (usually it results in large text but small buttons)

The program should really scale the entire UI based on the Windows DPI settings, rather than just the text. After all, the size options only go to 200% but the assets are designed for 400%. (which is possible on OS X with Retina Mode enabled)

koshia

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:40:01 pm »

Under the View menu, try the Size option.

Also, try Theater View.

Thanks guys.  For some reason I did not notice it the first go round in trying to find something suitable.  It will do for now, but it's still weird.

The minimize, restore, X buttons are still somewhat small for my taste in comparison with the rest of the text on the left navigation.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 05:51:33 am »

It looks like you are encountering this bug after all, where text is scaled using the Windows DPI settings, but the rest of the UI is not, as it causes the text to be much larger than the rest of the UI.

What happens is that if Windows was set to 200% size, selecting 150% size in Media Center displays the UI elements at 150%, but the text is now scaled to 300% size, as it is being scaled up twice.

As a temporary fix, go to Tools → Options → Tree & View → Select font… (last item on the list)
The standard font is 9pt SegoeUI.

Since you are saying that the UI elements are too small at 150% size, I am guessing that Windows is set to 200% size.

Since Windows is at 200% size, we need to halve the font setting in Media Center. (if it was at 150% size, it would be 9 ÷ 1.5 = 6pt)
Ideally it would be 4.5 but only integer values are supported. Enter either 4 or 5 for the text size.
Text will not display correctly until you restart Media Center - this DPI scaling bug only seems to apply when you launch the program, not when you make font changes.

Since you will be setting Media Center to 200% size, this results in:
4pt: 4x2 (DPI settings) x2 (Media Center size) = 16pt text
5pt: 5x2 (DPI settings) x2 (Media Center size) = 20pt text

So text will be scaled to being either slightly larger, or slightly smaller than the ideal size for 200%. (which would be 18pt, since the standard size at 100% is 9pt)

This really needs to be fixed.

Media Center should not be changing the font size based on Windows' DPI settings.
It should be changing the entire UI size, so that the "100%" setting in Media Center is equal to your DPI scale. (e.g. 150% or 200%)
Either that, or the size options need to be expanded to allow for the selection of up to 400% scale, and the size setting in Media Center would match the DPI scale.

koshia

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 01:41:08 am »

Thanks for this 6233638!  Sorry for the late response, but this is exactly the issue.  Glad you found the problem.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 03:03:46 am »

No problem, happy to hear that worked for you.

Hopefully this will be fixed in MC20.
Pages: [1]   Go Up