INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC copying files to a central database like iTunes?  (Read 2913 times)

TomBiel

MC copying files to a central database like iTunes?
« on: August 05, 2014, 02:45:22 pm »

Hello

I am considering switching from iTunes to MC. In iTunes there is an option for iTunes to manage its database (e.g titles i add to iTunes are being copied to the iTunes database, and not just linked to it).

I have not found a similar option in MC and presume, that MC only manages links to the files (so I have to manage the files and directories myself).

Is there an option to have MC manage a central database like iTunes does?

Thanks for your help
Tom

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC copying files to a central database like iTunes?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:56:42 pm »

I don't understand the question.  MC has a local database (library) of its own.  It can store metadata about the files in the database, in the files, or both.

Its Library Tools can manipulate the files.  The best way to learn is to use it with a few files.  Be careful with it until you understand it.

Hometownwesty

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 03:18:06 pm »

I think the question is more about the files themselves. If I have my library linked to folder A, but I'm copying a file from folder B into jriver the file stays where it is. Personally I'd like it to be transferred (or at least copied) into my library in folder A. And I think that's what TomBiel wants to do as well. I don't know of a way to do it.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 03:31:23 pm »

I don't think there is an option to do this.
You can manually rename/copy files, but not automatically.

But I don't consider this to be a good feature. It's a bad habit learned from using iTunes which most other media software avoids.

P.S. When you are talking about this, you are referring to the library (collection of files) rather than the database. (index of files in the library)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 03:38:43 pm »

The confusion is from terminology.

A Database is an organized collection of data.  MC is, itself, a database manager (as is iTunes).  It stores its data in its Library, which is a small set of files that MC uses to track where the files live on disk, and their attributes (tags, etc).  That's the database, not the files on disk.  iTunes has the same thing, stored in a small set of files (typically in your Music directory in your home directory).

iTunes also has a feature where it can automatically manage the files' locations themselves, moving them around and "hiding" them away from the user (buried deeply in that same Music directory).

MC does not have a direct corollary to this iTunes feature.  However, it has tools for you to manage them yourself, and it is much more flexible and powerful than what iTunes provides.

The core of MC's filesystem management system is found under Tools > Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy Files.  This system allows you to predefine profiles for how you'd like the files on your system to be stored.  In this way, you can choose when MC moves and renames the files, and how it does it, specifically, based on the file attributes themselves.  It isn't fully automated like the iTunes system, but it is much more flexible (and doesn't create duplicates everywhere like iTunes).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 03:50:54 pm »

I have not found a similar option in MC and presume, that MC only manages links to the files (so I have to manage the files and directories myself).

Is there an option to have MC manage a central database like iTunes does?

MC does not automatically move your files around.  Better to get the files in the right location with adequate file names before you import your files.

However, if you rip CDs with MC, you can specify location where the resulting files are stored.  (Tools/Options/File location.)  You can specify a base location, a rule for the folder name and a rule for the file name.  Those rules can use tag values and fixed text.

MC has powerful features for browsing your library using database fields mostly derived from  tags in the music files.  If you use those tools, you aren't relying on the file's location.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 09:20:21 pm »

MC does not automatically move your files around.  Better to get the files in the right location with adequate file names before you import your files.

However, if you rip CDs with MC, you can specify location where the resulting files are stored.  (Tools/Options/File location.)  You can specify a base location, a rule for the folder name and a rule for the file name.  Those rules can use tag values and fixed text.

MC has powerful features for browsing your library using database fields mostly derived from  tags in the music files.  If you use those tools, you aren't relying on the file's location.

Actually I prefer to "import" the files first then make all the tag corrections and then use my Rename / Move template to get them to the correct place.  (At least for my music files).  This way the Folder / File Naming structures are identical across all of my files.

Carl.

Louis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • It only looks like an optical illusion
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:41:51 pm »

Actually I prefer to "import" the files first then make all the tag corrections and then use my Rename / Move template to get them to the correct place.  (At least for my music files).  This way the Folder / File Naming structures are identical across all of my files.

Carl.

+1 for that.
Amongst MC's many fine attributes is its wonderful ability to bring order and consistency to file locations and names. I've dumped in terribly messed up file names lacking proper tags and brought order to them all very efficiently using MC.

MC gives you control over determining the logical directory structure you want to apply and keeps your playlists all pointed to the right place. The user interface for achieving this has been nicely refined and it shouldn't be too difficult for someone new to it getting a quick result, but one must be careful, it is powerful!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 10:40:22 am »

I also do exactly this.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alobar

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 10:49:50 am »

The confusion is from terminology.

A Database is an organized collection of data.  MC is, itself, a database manager (as is iTunes).  It stores its data in its Library, which is a small set of files that MC uses to track where the files live on disk, and their attributes (tags, etc).  That's the database, not the files on disk.  iTunes has the same thing, stored in a small set of files (typically in your Music directory in your home directory).

iTunes also has a feature where it can automatically manage the files' locations themselves, moving them around and "hiding" them away from the user (buried deeply in that same Music directory).

MC does not have a direct corollary to this iTunes feature.  However, it has tools for you to manage them yourself, and it is much more flexible and powerful than what iTunes provides.

The core of MC's filesystem management system is found under Tools > Library Tools > Rename, Move, and Copy Files.  This system allows you to predefine profiles for how you'd like the files on your system to be stored.  In this way, you can choose when MC moves and renames the files, and how it does it, specifically, based on the file attributes themselves.  It isn't fully automated like the iTunes system, but it is much more flexible (and doesn't create duplicates everywhere like iTunes).

Good thread! I was drawn to JRiver when I was trying to delete a ton of duplicate songs which Itunes seemed to create, or perhaps it was Amazon. It was a real PITA getting the duplicate songs off the hard drive as Itunes only seemed to remove it from the list so I would have to open up windows explorer to find the duplicate. I was searching for a better solution because not only was there duplicate mp3's of different file sizes (128kbps, 256, 320 etc) but I am in the process of getting rid of these files in favor of lossless files, mainly by buying CD's and ripping them thus creating even more duplicates. Using windows explorer meant I would have to look at the details of the files one at a time to make sure I was deleting the right duplicate(s). With JRiver I can pull up all the songs, sort them by file type, size, album, artist etc, select all the dup's and delete them from the hard drive easily with a couple clicks while preserving duplicates I want to keep such as live versions. I was sold after seeing that, then I started seeing just how robust this program actually is compared with Itunes or anything else I tried. So much there to learn as I am getting to the table late (MC19). I am finding solid new (to me) features, many of which I have never even considered, almost every time I open MC up and am really enjoying the discovery!
Pages: [1]   Go Up