INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 (Windows) - New Registration Questions  (Read 3549 times)

Lunna

• Recent member
MC20 (Windows) - New Registration Questions
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:18:24 am »

I had the trial MC and just bought, for the first time, a license for MC.  The license is for MC20.  It says it downloaded my registration code right away, I'm guessing, integrating it into my trial MC?  Does that mean I have to do nothing anymore and I now have a permanent MC20 license?   Or do I have MC19 for now or a beta form of MC20?  I would rather have a 'stable' MC19 and wait until there's a non-beta version of MC20 out there.  If and when the stable MC20 comes out, do I already have a license for it and don't have to pay anything more?

One other question - I know I have to get a separate license for Mac.  I'm thinking of tanking one of my old computers and buying a Mac in the next month or so.  Does it make any sense for me to purchase a license for Mac now (that is, will I be able to take advantage of the upgrade offer) or should I just wait until I buy the Mac?  

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC20 (Windows) - New Registration Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 06:48:27 am »

I had the trial MC and just bought, for the first time, a license for MC.  The license is for MC20.  Price was 39.99.   It says it downloaded my registration code right away, I'm guessing, integrating it into my trial MC?  Does that mean I have to do nothing anymore and I now have a permanent MC20 license?
That's' correct.  You're all set.  When MC20 is available, just download and install it.
I would rather have a 'stable' MC19 and wait until there's a non-beta version of MC20 out there.  If and when the stable MC20 comes out, do I already have a license for it and don't have to pay anything more?
Correct.
One other question - I know I have to get a separate license for Mac.  I'm thinking of tanking one of my old computers and buying a Mac in the next month or so.  Does it make any sense for me to purchase a license for Mac now (that is, will I be able to take advantage of the upgrade offer) or should I just wait until I buy the Mac?   
Unless you have an MC for Mac license, you will need a full new license, not an upgrade.  It's $39.98 today.  When the pre-order sale ends tomorrow night, it will be $49.98.

Lunna

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 07:22:18 am »

Thanks for the info, this is very good news.  So, does that mean I can buy the MC20 for Mac today at the 39 and change price and just sit on the registration code, and just use it sometime down the road (even a month or two, or a year, or whatever, later, whenever I finally get around to purchasing a mac)?  That is, 'bank' the MC20 code indefinitely?   And then, once I do use it, I have 14 days to put it on any other mac I might have?

I saw this somewhere already, I'm sure, but is there a limit to the number of other computers that I can load MC20 Windows on during the 14 day period? 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 08:10:10 am »

You can purchase a license now and use it any time.

You can use MC on all "your" computers, within reason.  Mac, Linux, and Windows are all separate licenses though.

Lunna

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 08:56:03 am »

Jim, thanks again!

Lunna

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 09:03:28 am »

Okay, just a couple more follow up questions (I hope!).  Since I don't yet own a mac, how would this work?  Would I purchase MC20 for Mac by first downloading it in my windows and then do a 'restore' later?  If so, how would I prevent the 14-day period from beginning after I do the download?  And how would I avoid using up one of my ten allowable 'restores' for Mac (if I can figure out how to purchase it in advance today).  Apropos, is there a way just to purchase MC20 for Mac at the 39.99 price today, and just get a registration code without downloading anything (or directly from my existing MC20 for Windows page)?

Related questions - I actually loaded MC20 Windows on my other laptop, using 'restore.'  Did I just waste one of my allotted ten restores for my JRiver MC20 for Windows per year?  If so, is there a way I can get it back, assuming there was another way to activate JRiver MC20 on my second laptop other than hitting 'restore?'

Lunna

• Recent member
Re: MC20 (Windows) - Installation - accidentally hit 'restore'
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 09:33:20 am »

Hello again - probably better to discuss via PM, but here goes:  This is the message I received when I loaded MC20 on to my other computer:  

"You have recently restored a licence for Media Center 20 Windows. There are 10 restores available in each 12 month period. There are 9 restores remaining at this time.

The restore activates Media Center and installs the license automatically.

The Install Key is attached to this email. It is valid for 14 days. To install on another PC, transfer the Install Key to the PC, make sure the correct version of Media Center is installed, then execute the Install Key by double clicking on it."

Well, I must have accidentally, before getting this message, 'restored' the registration key on my second computer rather than doing a free install.  (I did click the "install" button after getting the above email, and I got the same message I received when I did a 'restore' - that MC was successfully loaded).  So, can you please arrange to credit me back a 'restore' as I didn't 'restore' but just installed MC20 on to my other computer?  Feel free to pm me if necessary.   Thanks!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 09:40:33 am »

When you enter the Registration Code, it'll use a restore. You can avoid that by using the Install Key you got in the mail.

If you should run out of restores, let us know.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Lunna

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 09:45:14 am »

Hi Hendrick - I will, but if you can do an adjustment now, that would be great.  There definitely is a learning curve here on JRiver :)

Julie56

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 12:58:06 pm »

Hi Hendrick,

I have desperately been trying to get my registration code to work so that I can buy an MC20 upgrade license. When I input my MC19 registration code into the space on the page where you can purchase MC20, it returns the response that this is not a valid registration code. I've tried the restore page but it says there is no code for that email address. I even tried the PayPal option, and that came back as unknown transaction. I posted 2 help requests on Questions about upgrading thread but got no response. I would really like to be able to purchase an upgrade to MC20 before the end of today, but I can't seem to get through. Can you please help me? Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 02:32:31 pm »

Hi Hendrick,

I have desperately been trying to get my registration code to work so that I can buy an MC20 upgrade license. When I input my MC19 registration code into the space on the page where you can purchase MC20, it returns the response that this is not a valid registration code. I've tried the restore page but it says there is no code for that email address. I even tried the PayPal option, and that came back as unknown transaction. I posted 2 help requests on Questions about upgrading thread but got no response. I would really like to be able to purchase an upgrade to MC20 before the end of today, but I can't seem to get through. Can you please help me? Thanks.
Read the instructions carefully.  You are probably on the Mac page but have a Windows license, or vice versa.

Julie56

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 02:53:25 pm »

Thanks for the response. I am using the link that was included in the email I received from JRiver. That link takes me to the JRiver page that clearly states "This page is for Windows updates only". I've clicked on the link there for those who already own an MC license which takes you to the page where one can input the registration code. That's when I get the error messages. I get similar error messages from the options on the restore page. I've checked and rechecked the code, and tried everything I know including the troubleshooting page. I even uninstalled and re-installed. No luck. Is there anything else that can be done to get my registration code working so that I can purchase an upgrade license. Thank you for your help.

Julie56

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »

Thanks for the response. I am using the link that was included in the email I received from JRiver. That link takes me to the JRiver page that clearly states "This page is for Windows updates only". I've clicked on the link there for those who already own an MC license which takes you to the page where one can input the registration code. That's when I get the error messages. I get similar error messages from the options on the restore page. I've checked and rechecked the code, and tried everything I know including the troubleshooting page. I even uninstalled and re-installed. No luck. Is there anything else that can be done to get my registration code working so that I can purchase an upgrade license. Thank you for your help.

Forgot to mention that I have a windows license running on windows 7 pro.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 04:05:11 pm »

Are you using copy and paste with the Registration Code?  Are you upgrading from Windows to Windows?

Julie56

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 04:57:18 pm »

I am upgrading from Windows to Windows. I cannot copy and paste as I only have the printed confirmation with the registration code.

Julie56

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 06:58:50 pm »

I am upgrading from Windows to Windows. I cannot copy and paste as I only have the printed confirmation with the registration code.

JimH - Thanks for your help. I have solved the issue and have successfully obtained an upgrade license.
Pages: [1]   Go Up