INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic DAC setup??  (Read 2486 times)

JIMV

• World Citizen
Basic DAC setup??
« on: August 16, 2014, 06:45:38 pm »

I bought an iFi iDSD Nano DAC. This is my first DSD device and I have no idea how to set up the output format output encoding...What is the proper setting for this DAC in MC19. The system is simple, a windows 7 PC, MC19, iDSD, and Monsoon powered speakers.

So, what should the MC19 settings be?

mtwitch

Re: Basic DAC setup??
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 04:52:41 pm »

I've set up mine as follows: Under DSP studio, output settings, set all sample rates to no change.  2-channel stereo, of course.  Under Playback options, I set it to Wasapi.  Seems to work fairly well, no issues.  I've been very pleased with the ifi Nano Dac, especially through my headphones.

Mark T

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 01:48:53 pm »

I have no DSD DAC hence my guesswork is

In Playing Now select the audio device > Play back Options
In Playback options: Bit streaming > DSD

thediscman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:25:17 am »

Hopefully, the other responses have helped you get your system functioning.

To take things to another level, you have a DSD DAC and it is possible to set JRiver to convert all of your music to DSD in real-time as you play it. The basic theory is that there are some DAC's that operate at their best with a DSD signal.

The option can be found under: Tools | Options | Audio | DSP & Output Format | Output Encoding.

I have JRiver set to real-time encode all of my audio to DSD x 2 (the highest sample rate my DAC will accept) and am very pleased with the results. Your iDSD Nano will also accept that format. You may want to give it a try.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:21:32 am »

Thanks for the input. That is how I am set up now and it does sound pretty good on high rez and DSD files BUT, my few MP3 and some of my CD quality files have taken on a hard edge....Is there a way to play DSD as DSD and the rest of ones files in their recorded format?

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 12:25:53 pm »

Probably something like this
In Playing Now configure a second zone e.g. Nano PCM
Configure the audio for PCM

Enable zone switching and formulate a rule like If file type contains DSD > Nano DSD
else Nano PCM
Pages: [1]   Go Up