INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 370763 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #650 on: April 20, 2015, 07:20:49 am »

Did you set up auto import?

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #651 on: April 20, 2015, 07:37:00 am »

Yes--but I expected the USB's Library would load a lot faster than it does--fast like my MC  for Windows which is seemingly instantaneous. I'm now OK with this. I'm impressed with Sound quality from Id when operating as standalone music player--it comparatively sounds better than running MC for Windows on a PC.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #652 on: April 20, 2015, 08:03:57 am »

Yes--but I expected the USB's Library would load a lot faster than it does--fast like my MC  for Windows which is seemingly instantaneous. I'm now OK with this. I'm impressed with Sound quality from Id when operating as standalone music player--it comparatively sounds better than running MC for Windows on a PC.

Correction:
Id doesn't save the Auto Import configuration and hence USB library. I still have to reload library upon Id startup. The Id does auto-import a different library however. It autoloads the library from when I use Id as renderer.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #653 on: April 20, 2015, 10:44:37 am »

I'm importing as you are, but MC is not saving the library.
Are you creating an alternate library or using the main library?

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #654 on: April 20, 2015, 10:59:32 am »

Are you creating an alternate library or using the main library?

I guess it's an alternate library. It's called "USB". I have multiple libraries on my PC running MC for Windows.  I thought could do the same with the Id.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #655 on: April 20, 2015, 11:54:36 am »

I guess it's an alternate library. It's called "USB". I have multiple libraries on my PC running MC for Windows.  I thought could do the same with the Id.
Yes you should be able to use multiple libraries on the Id.
Each library has it's own settings.
I'll do some testing...

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #656 on: April 20, 2015, 12:07:05 pm »

Yes you should be able to use multiple libraries on the Id.
Each library has it's own settings.
I'll do some testing...

Works for me.
Is your library stored on the removable media as well as the files themselves?

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #657 on: April 20, 2015, 12:39:22 pm »

Works for me.
Is your library stored on the removable media as well as the files themselves?

Apparently the the library isn't stored anywhere. All I see on the removable usb stick are the files themselves.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #658 on: April 20, 2015, 01:16:55 pm »

Apparently the the library isn't stored anywhere. All I see on the removable usb stick are the files themselves.
When you create the library, MC asks for a location to store it.
I usually choose something within the media directory, say creating a folder called testlib under documents.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #659 on: April 22, 2015, 08:02:45 am »

When you create the library, MC asks for a location to store it.
I usually choose something within the media directory, say creating a folder called testlib under documents.

I was adding the new library to the USB drive, the library would load but MC wouldn't save it upon shutdown. Even though I was in Read-write configuration. I'll try it your way.
While I currently prefer to use the Id as a renderer, it's also a very decent server/pc. I'm going to try it next as a server/pc pushing files to computeraudiophile.com's Beaglebone Black DLNA renderer. Sound- quality-wise, the BB is somewhat rough compared to the Id when running MC for Windows.

Hans Dampf

« Reply #660 on: April 30, 2015, 01:25:17 pm »

I'm quite pleased with the Id. After I had it assembled (your USB kit, my NUC) and got some help here (thanks again), it works fine. I had it run in a test mode for a couple of days with the GUI version and today for the first time got it running in headless mode. I have access to it from the MC version on my computer but can't control the sound output. MC only uses the computer's loudspeakers (as far as I could find out). Is it possible to switch to the NUC's USB outlet? This is possible with the WebGizmo remote which isn't very comfortable.

Thanks!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #661 on: April 30, 2015, 01:37:12 pm »

I'm quite pleased with the Id. After I had it assambled (your USB kit, my NUC) and got some help here (thanks again), it works fine. I had it run in a test mode for a couple of days with the GUI version and today for the first time got it running in headless mode. I have access to it from the MC version on my computer but can't control the sound output. MC only uses the computer's loudspeakers (as far as I cuold find out). Is it possible to switch to the NUC's USB outlet? This is possible with the WebGizmo remote which isn't very comfortable.

Thanks!
You can change the output device by connecting to it's web control port (replace 192.168.x.x with the address of your Id).

http://192.168.x.x:52199/WebRemote/
Choose the Audio Device tab

Hans Dampf

« Reply #662 on: May 01, 2015, 03:26:44 am »

You can change the output device by connecting to it's web control port (replace 192.168.x.x with the address of your Id).

http://192.168.x.x:52199/WebRemote/
Choose the Audio Device tab

Thanks again Bob, but that is not what I was looking for. Or I don't understand it. I would like to use the MC from my home computer to remote control the MC from the Id. This works with the library tools, but when I start playing a song, it is played over my home computer's monitor instead of the USB outlet of the NUC. For this, at the moment, I can only use the WebGizmo tool which to me is very uncomfortable.

Speaking of the WebGizmo player: How can I change the setting from shuffling songs of a playlist to NOT shuffle songs of one album? I think I tried everything, but nothing helped...

Added later the day:
I still have problems saving ratings to music files on the library on the NUC with both the MC programs, the one on the NUC and the other one on my home PC. When I change ratings on the home PC's MC, this will be synced to the NUC's MC, which is great: the changed ratings are in both MCs. On the NUC's MC it says "Saving tag changes (xx remaining)". Some files work, some won't and I don't see a difference why some can be changed and some can't.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #663 on: May 01, 2015, 10:38:50 am »

Thanks again Bob, but that is not what I was looking for. Or I don't understand it. I would like to use the MC from my home computer to remote control the MC from the Id. This works with the library tools, but when I start playing a song, it is played over my home computer's monitor instead of the USB outlet of the NUC. For this, at the moment, I can only use the WebGizmo tool which to me is very uncomfortable.

Speaking of the WebGizmo player: How can I change the setting from shuffling songs of a playlist to NOT shuffle songs of one album? I think I tried everything, but nothing helped...

Added later the day:
I still have problems saving ratings to music files on the library on the NUC with both the MC programs, the one on the NUC and the other one on my home PC. When I change ratings on the home PC's MC, this will be synced to the NUC's MC, which is great: the changed ratings are in both MCs. On the NUC's MC it says "Saving tag changes (xx remaining)". Some files work, some won't and I don't see a difference why some can be changed and some can't.
Perhaps I'm not getting this.
You are using MC on the home computer to push files to the Id?
If so you just pick the Id as the current zone (single click on it) on the home computer and then your output will go to the Id.

As for the ratings, it's possible some flac file tags might not be getting updated with the current build.

Hans Dampf

« Reply #664 on: May 01, 2015, 11:01:46 am »

My files are stored on the NUC, as is the library. I have access to them and to the library there with MC from my home computer (Mac). I can do all kinds of library stuff there, but when I trigger a song to be played, meaning: I double click the song or activate it and start the play button, the sound comes out of the computer's loudspeaker. Doing the same in MC on the NUC, the sound is send through the USB outlet. I don't find any settings in the MC on my computer, where I can change this.

Tagging: A message just popped up: "Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by other programs". I can't see why some files can be tagged and others can't.  :-[

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #665 on: May 01, 2015, 11:18:08 am »

My files are stored on the NUC, as is the library. I have access to them and to the library there with MC from my home computer (Mac). I can do all kinds of library stuff there, but when I trigger a song to be played, meaning: I double click the song or activate it and start the play button, the sound comes out of the computer's loudspeaker. Doing the same in MC on the NUC, the sound is send through the USB outlet. I don't find any settings in the MC on my computer, where I can change this.
Thanks for clarifying your setup.
It's quite simple, just click on the "There" zone in MC on the home computer. "There" means the computer you are connected to.
You can also right-click on files or playlists and do Send To-> There.
Tagging: A message just popped up: "Media Center encountered errors while tagging or moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by other programs". I can't see why some files can be tagged and others can't.  :-[
If the problem is with flac files it should be fixed in the next update otherwise I'll need more info like the filepath.

Hans Dampf

« Reply #666 on: May 01, 2015, 12:11:01 pm »

Thanks for clarifying your setup.
It's quite simple, just click on the "There" zone in MC on the home computer. "There" means the computer you are connected to.
You can also right-click on files or playlists and do Send To-> There.

Ah, There it is  :) I knew it was me.
Will play around with it, but on a first test: Wouldn't it be easier to have the ability to chose the zone from the settings, so everything goes directly to the outtput, selected in the MC from the NUC?

If the problem is with flac files it should be fixed in the next update otherwise I'll need more info like the filepath.
Good to read. I didn't do anything with the files but copying them into the media folder in the InternalStorage folder. My system is (example with Nick Cave's album "Push the Sky Away"):
InternalStorage / media / N / Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds / 2013 - Push the Sky Away

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #667 on: May 01, 2015, 03:54:43 pm »

Ah, There it is  :) I knew it was me.
Will play around with it, but on a first test: Wouldn't it be easier to have the ability to chose the zone from the settings, so everything goes directly to the outtput, selected in the MC from the NUC?
Good to read. I didn't do anything with the files but copying them into the media folder in the InternalStorage folder. My system is (example with Nick Cave's album "Push the Sky Away"):
InternalStorage / media / N / Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds / 2013 - Push the Sky Away
When you connected to a library you are changing the frame of reference to the tree so we thought this approach made more sense.

With your flac file, I wonder if the & is the issue. It's a special character in linux. Are all of the files that won't update like that (or with other characters like backquotes, etc)?

Hans Dampf

« Reply #668 on: May 02, 2015, 01:37:28 am »

When you connected to a library you are changing the frame of reference to the tree so we thought this approach made more sense.
I not only "just" listen to music, I sometimes sit in front of the computer and the music managing software (which is now MC) and browse the albums and artists. I rip CDs or buy FLACS on the internet, tag them properly (very properly), scan in a cover. I often listen to new music which I propably will delete right after having listened to it, rate it, re-rate it, change some other file tags, listen to a special song over and over again, etc. So I do use the software. After they were able to sort albums by year, I really loved iTunes and the way it managed music files and playlists. But now Apple is more in selling stuff and iTunes is too much for what I like, as you can't ignore the parts of the software you won't need any more. And I switched to FLAC which is not supported (any more - there was a plug-in). MC, in the GUI, is not as comfortable as iTunes but has anything I need and much more than iTunes will ever offer and I can forget the video part, when I don't need it.
Well, what I'm trying to say is, that now it's complicated to access the media on the NUC, as it needs more clicks to play files and it's not quite clear why it is that way. I only do have one library, I play music from and that's the one on the NUC now. To me there's no need for an extra way.

With your flac file, I wonder if the & is the issue. It's a special character in linux. Are all of the files that won't update like that (or with other characters like backquotes, etc)?

I had no problems with all my files on my Synology NAS before with the "&" symbol. I know there are certain chracters that can make problems, but those I already avoid. But I can't check that any more. Now that I know how to remote the library on the NUC, I started it in headless mode and put it underneath the couch.  ;D

And: I'm quite happy with MC, although there is still place for improvements.

shang_2000

• Recent member
« Reply #669 on: May 02, 2015, 05:54:07 am »

I want my id (120g) Hard disk replacement into 1t, how to operate?

Hans Dampf

« Reply #670 on: May 03, 2015, 07:37:38 am »

I really like week-ends at home with something to work on (camera case) and some nice music  :)

The NUC still plays the music and headlessly sits underneath the couch. In some working pauses, I rip CDs, delete music I'm not listening to any more and change old files against new ones I just bought on the internet. Deleting and adding files I directly do on the file level, other things I do on my home PC's MC, having opened the NUC's library (i guess).

It seems as if the syncing of the library is somehow disturbed. I can choose music and listen to it over "There", or I can add songs to playlists. But changes adding and deleting files won't show up in the artist's list. Exchanged music then can't be played, as the library only shows the old entries and of course can't find the new file that came instead. I guess this has something to do with the headless mode? This wouldn't happen, when the GUI version of MC on the NUC would be activated?

After a while...
...in the next pause with my camera case project, I looked at the auto import function, cause I thought it might not be set up properly (it is confusing, two MCs sharing one library plus the possibilities to have much more libraries... plus the way this is implimented in MC). As no folder was listed, I chose the "media" folder of the NUC which came up in an "InternalStorage-1" directory instead of "InternalStorage". I picked it anyway and MC started working. After a short while the missing files were imported into the library - so were all the other files again, which I now have twice...

After another while:
Well, I thought I'd better create a new Library instead of deleting thousands of files, which took a while and which is gone after a re-start of MC. I hate it.

>:(  :P  :-X   ?  :(

Hans Dampf

« Reply #671 on: May 03, 2015, 12:32:35 pm »

I have just thought about the time I spent with the Id kit, the problems it has and made, the un-intuitive GUI, the skins (matter of taste) and the money it cost me (100 $ for the USB kit, 300$ for the NUC...) and I decided that it's not worth to spend more time than necessary with unfinished software. I do not want to use it any more and will switch to a different system, leaving MC behind. Is there a refund for the Id USB kit? How does this work?

Not even the web-based Gizmo player works properly...

Thanks.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #672 on: May 04, 2015, 03:49:56 am »

After another while:
Well, I thought I'd better create a new Library instead of deleting thousands of files, which took a while and which is gone after a re-start of MC. I hate it.

Did you create this new library on the Id (NUC)?

Hans Dampf

« Reply #673 on: May 04, 2015, 02:44:53 pm »

Did you create this new library on the Id (NUC)?

I created it on my home PC. I played music over the MC of my home PC from the NUC, which ran headless.

Anyway, I stopped experimenting with it now. I don't want to spend too much time in a system I payed money for. I honestly think that the JRiver guys did a terrific job with MC, but I also think it's something made from computer nerds for computer nerds. Sorry to say that, as I really appreciate all the efforts and work that went into the various MC projects and I was willing to spend time with it (and I did). But in the end (my end) I had the feeling to work with software from just some open source project in an early beta stadium. But it's not, MC is quite expensive. Somehow I got the feeling that it was all about to add one option after another to a very complex software system, losing trace. I do miss the "soul" in this complexity, the well thought GUI, the skin that is more than just another color scheme from one of the MS Windows versions. Good software makes one forget about working with a machine. With MC nothing is natural and one has to think like a software coder. So, for the moment, I'm out (don't want a refund for the Id kit any more). I'll try some of the open source projects I found in the internet.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #674 on: May 04, 2015, 04:49:18 pm »

If you want a simple interface, did you try Gizmo or JRemote as a remote control?

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #675 on: May 08, 2015, 12:18:37 pm »

Is there a specific driver (known) for the Cambridge Audio DAC MAGIC Plus device (Used as a headphone source).  I can get the DAC to fire occasionally using the JRiver Id sysdefault C2 WebRemote settings, but only on certain tracks. 

Id works like a champ on my Wyred4Sound DAC-2 (using Webremote Young setting) and Yamaha RX-A 3010 AVR.

Suggestions?  Thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #676 on: May 08, 2015, 01:40:18 pm »

Is there a specific driver (known) for the Cambridge Audio DAC MAGIC Plus device (Used as a headphone source).  I can get the DAC to fire occasionally using the JRiver Id sysdefault C2 WebRemote settings, but only on certain tracks. 

Id works like a champ on my Wyred4Sound DAC-2 (using Webremote Young setting) and Yamaha RX-A 3010 AVR.

Suggestions?  Thanks.

You probably need to configure DSP studio in the GUI mode to handle the sample rates your device doesn't support.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #677 on: May 09, 2015, 01:47:23 am »

You probably need to configure DSP studio in the GUI mode to handle the sample rates your device doesn't support.

Hello Bob.  Did that and selected another WebRemote driver IEC958.  Working now.  Thanks for the guidance.  Bob

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #678 on: May 11, 2015, 01:48:45 pm »

I have a hardware issue with the NUC I received last Tuesday. The lights around the Ethernet port on the back of the NUC are yellow and green, not green and green. Is this a problem? What should I do?

Otherwise, the unit is up and working.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #679 on: May 11, 2015, 03:17:47 pm »

I have a hardware issue with the NUC I received last Tuesday. The lights around the Ethernet port on the back of the NUC are yellow and green, not green and green. Is this a problem? What should I do?

Otherwise, the unit is up and working.
The yellowish light just means it's connected at gigabit speed.

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #680 on: May 11, 2015, 03:31:58 pm »

The yellowish light just means it's connected at gigabit speed.

Thanks. That was easy.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #681 on: May 12, 2015, 10:21:19 pm »

My music files are stored on Id USB drive and am running Read-Write configuration. So why am I getting the message "This database will be opened in Read Only mode. Any changes will be lost when program exits", when opening GUI mode? My library is lost each time I shutdown or  reboot.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #682 on: May 14, 2015, 10:05:58 am »

My music files are stored on Id USB drive and am running Read-Write configuration. So why am I getting the message "This database will be opened in Read Only mode. Any changes will be lost when program exits", when opening GUI mode? My library is lost each time I shutdown or  reboot.
Where is the library itself stored?
What is the filesystem format on the external drive?

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #683 on: May 18, 2015, 12:30:20 am »

Where is the library itself stored?
What is the filesystem format on the external drive?

My library was located in a folder "USB Id" under "Documents". File system format on external drive is FAT32.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #684 on: May 18, 2015, 11:04:54 am »

My library was located in a folder "USB Id" under "Documents". File system format on external drive is FAT32.
Can you update to the latest (activated Friday) and see if there is a change?

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #685 on: May 21, 2015, 12:16:56 pm »

I've run MC on a PC for a few years and I installed an Id Classic on my network a couple of weeks ago; I store my music files on a Synology NAS. One of my players is a Squeezebox Touch. I can send songs to the Touch using MC on the PC and they play. When I send the same songs to the Touch using MC on the Id, I get the message "Problem: Unable to Play File Type for: <song title>" and the song does not play. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #686 on: May 21, 2015, 12:24:56 pm »

Maybe a single file type won't play?  What are they?

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #687 on: May 21, 2015, 12:28:38 pm »

Maybe a single file type won't play?  What are they?

My file are FLAC (mostly 16/44.1).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #688 on: May 21, 2015, 03:20:59 pm »

My file are FLAC (mostly 16/44.1).
Check the DLNA server settings for the Id as compared to your PC. Make them the same (or change the Id to send the "Original Format").

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #689 on: May 21, 2015, 05:06:08 pm »

Check the DLNA server settings for the Id as compared to your PC. Make them the same (or change the Id to send the "Original Format").
Brilliant. Thank you. The "Original" setting solved my issue.

Interestingly, I set the mode to "Original" on the Id and it began to work with the Squeezebox Touch. Then, I checked my PC and noticed that the mode was set to "Specified output format only when necessary". So I changed the Id mode to "Specified output ...", and the Id no longer worked with the Touch"; I changed the mode back to "Original". Currently, both systems are working, but with different settings.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #690 on: May 28, 2015, 02:53:42 pm »

Brilliant. Thank you. The "Original" setting solved my issue.

Interestingly, I set the mode to "Original" on the Id and it began to work with the Squeezebox Touch. Then, I checked my PC and noticed that the mode was set to "Specified output format only when necessary". So I changed the Id mode to "Specified output ...", and the Id no longer worked with the Touch"; I changed the mode back to "Original". Currently, both systems are working, but with different settings.
If the specified output format was L16 it's likely the Touch can't play that format (even though it's required to by the spec).

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #691 on: May 31, 2015, 02:20:46 pm »

I run an Id Classic without a monitor attached. I control it from both MC running on my PC and JRemote on my iPad.

I like using the Audio Path information in MC. Is it possible to see the Audio Path info from the Id using either MC on my PC or JRemote on my iPad? How does one do so? I would really like to have this feature (without having to plug a monitor into the Id).

I have had my Id for almost a month and I am very pleased. It has addressed several minor yet annoying issues that arise from using a general purpose PC to serve music. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #692 on: May 31, 2015, 05:31:29 pm »

The next update of the Id software will allow you to use Remote Desktop or equivalent to view the Id desktop from a Windows or Mac machine.  I believe Bob posted about it recently.

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #693 on: June 01, 2015, 05:47:57 pm »

The next update of the Id software will allow you to use Remote Desktop or equivalent to view the Id desktop from a Windows or Mac machine.  I believe Bob posted about it recently.

Thanks. I look forward to that. Any idea when the update will be released to the Id?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #694 on: June 01, 2015, 06:48:47 pm »

Bob may answer, but I'd try the update option now.  If the remote feature isn't working, it should be available as an update in a few days.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #695 on: June 02, 2015, 09:34:14 am »

Thanks. I look forward to that. Any idea when the update will be released to the Id?
Testing now, hopefully this week.

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #696 on: June 17, 2015, 12:18:57 pm »

Testing now, hopefully this week.

Just got back from vacation. I turned on my Id and MC came up fine.

I used the menu to Update my Id (option 12 I think), downloaded a ~100 Meg file, processed and rebooted. Since then, nothing. I see the "Intel NUC" splash screen and the "GNU GRUB" screen. Then, the monitor goes blank. The Id does not show up on MC on my PC and it cannot be reached by JRemote on my iPad; trying to reach the Id using a web browser provides an "unable to connect" message.

If I bring up a file manager in Windows on my PC, the NUC appears as a network computer and I can see the the internal and external storage folders. I ran "Remote Desktop". It found the Id and I got to the "Login to xrdp" menu. It asked me for a password for the "Active Local Login" module, which I don't know. So, I know it is communicating on my home network.

Clearly, I need your help. What should I do?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #697 on: June 17, 2015, 12:24:06 pm »

It's probably either in headless mode or the video isn't syncing up.  Did you try turning all the equipment off and back on?

Doug Kurtz

• Recent member
« Reply #698 on: June 17, 2015, 01:04:02 pm »

Yes. I unplugged everything, power and connectors. Same behavior. I can see the Id in file manager, but not on the attached monitor and it is not showing up on any MC program - or through a browser.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #699 on: June 18, 2015, 11:26:58 am »

Yes. I unplugged everything, power and connectors. Same behavior. I can see the Id in file manager, but not on the attached monitor and it is not showing up on any MC program - or through a browser.
Sounds like the boot process is messed up.
At the grub prompt, select the advanced option then arrow down once to the item that says --with hdmi init at the end.
Hit enter (or ctrl-x)
You should then be able to see all of the information scroll by when the Id is  booting.
At the menu, re-choose the mode you want the Id to startup in.
After the ensuing reboot does it work properly now?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 26   Go Up