INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 370442 times)

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #950 on: September 07, 2018, 10:55:51 am »

Also, If using the Id as a renderer what settings in MC23 need to be enabled (or disabled) in OPTIONS??

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #951 on: September 07, 2018, 11:43:43 am »

Is this if I'm using the Id as a renderer?
If so how would I load the MC23 library to the Id?
I did not get the 2TB Id, will the library fit onto the regular Id?

If you are connecting an external drive to the Id you will have the Id scan the external drive files form it's import settings options and it will build a library based on the media on the external drive.
The library which is stored on the Id is a fraction of the size of the files themselves which are stored on the external drive.

You can use the laptop running MC basically as a remote to play the files from the Id and the external drive to your DAC.
You can also use JRemote, Gizmo, Eos, etc to also do the same thing.

This is mostly how I run at home. One IdNUC with all of my media on it and a bunch of IdPi's as renderers controlling the IdNUC with JRemote and occasionally MC on a PC.

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #952 on: September 07, 2018, 03:18:32 pm »

You can use the laptop running MC basically as a remote to play the files from the Id and the external drive to your DAC.

So are you saying that I can control Id with MC23 with the external HD (that has my music files) connected directly to my Id? Or do I need to use Panel?? I was under the impression that the external HD needed to be connected to my laptop and using the Id as a renderer for MC to be able to be used.
Also, it seems that MC needs to be on for Panel to work. Is that correct??

I'm getting my Id today, so some of these questions may be answered during setup, but I would like to configure as much as I can in advance. So again, what settings should I use in MC23?? Anything more than enabling DLNA?

BTW, thanks to you all for your help.Chances are I will be visiting a few more times in the next days until I get the Id set up, so thanks again in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #953 on: September 07, 2018, 04:09:08 pm »

You could learn more by reading the topic on Remotes on our wiki.  But yes, you can use MC as a remote.  Look at the Tremote section in the topic.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #954 on: September 07, 2018, 04:42:53 pm »

The Id has a lot of flexibility.
You can connect the drive to it and use it as the place to serve and play music from
or
You can have the music attached to your laptop and just use the Id as a renderer.

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #955 on: September 08, 2018, 11:31:33 am »

I'm trying to copy the library from MC to Id and having trouble.
I'm looking at Id's GUI menu, 'went to external media menu', 10-add, path to the share. I have no idea what this is, so I entered the  //mycomputer/share. Next window- directory name on this machine (ie mynas) so I entered F:/music/  which is where my files are located. Answered the other questions, hit enter and FAILURE.
What am I doing wrong?

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #956 on: September 08, 2018, 01:16:09 pm »

I've just spent a couple of hours trying to set up the Id unsuccessfully.
The wiki instructions are obviously made for computer savvy people. I am not. I followed the instructions to the letter as best I could, but the setup is nothing like setups for any other component in my system. Very unfriendly for  a non-computer expert.
I will call Monday for a RMA.
Too bad. I was really hoping this would work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #957 on: September 08, 2018, 01:29:02 pm »

Assuming you might give us a chance to help ...

Could you describe how you intend to use the Id?   For example, you can connect it to a DAC and play to it from a PC.  There are other possibilities, but we need to know what you want.

Have you read this?
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Install_Guide

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #958 on: September 08, 2018, 07:28:30 pm »

I am trying to use MC23 to push music from my laptop thru the Id to my Oppo 205's USB/DAC input. The music files are on an external HD connected to my laptop.
All cables and a usb keyboard were connected.
I was able to get to the GUI page and was able to do updates.
I am not sure that Id is outputting thru the USB. MC shows the Oppo in Audio as the output.
Your instructions say-"Audio Devices-You can use your computer's browser to change the audio device that the Id will use. The choices are HDMI, Analog Out, and USB.-"  I could not find this setting.
Perhaps I am better off using a 'streamer component'
The setup on the Id is too convoluted for me to follow, and the instructions are not clear enough for my non-computer-engineer mind to wrap around. Too many terms I'm not familiar with.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #959 on: September 08, 2018, 10:06:17 pm »

You don't need to transfer any files to do that.  Just find the Id under Playing Now and drag a few files to it.  MC will play to it until you click on another device there.

The Id needs to be set to play to a DAC or receiver in MC's Audio settings.  This is the same process for any version of MC.  Make sure this works before attempting to use it as a network device.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #960 on: September 18, 2018, 12:38:21 pm »

We have server problems at the moment and that has a higher priority.
Is it too early to ask the question again?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #961 on: September 18, 2018, 12:44:45 pm »

Is it too early to ask the question again?
Good timing. I'm just testing a build for the IdNUC just now...

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #962 on: September 19, 2018, 04:17:38 pm »

WooHoo!

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #963 on: September 22, 2018, 04:11:44 am »

Has that now been released Bob?
Got an email from the mail list this morning saying 54 is now the current build for MC.
 an option 12 is doing nothing for me  :'(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #964 on: September 22, 2018, 06:37:28 am »

I don't think it's out yet.

Bob is extremely cautious about Id buillds.  We don't want to brick a lot of devices.

GaryB

• World Citizen
« Reply #965 on: September 23, 2018, 10:08:14 am »

I don't think it's out yet.

Bob is extremely cautious about Id buillds.  We don't want to brick a lot of devices.
I'm sure he is  and that's a good thing, but it doesn't help the impatience caused by reading about all the lovely new things available to everyone else!

akessel56

• Recent member
« Reply #966 on: September 23, 2018, 05:37:05 pm »

What version of mc24:should we be on?
I’m on 28and I don’t think it’s updating right when I do and update?

Id pi version

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #967 on: September 24, 2018, 11:26:03 am »

The current build is 24.0.28

I've been testing 24.0.52 over the last week and it generally seems good but I did catch it glitching once (long halt) playing from an IdNuc to IdPi over wireless.
It's not certain that it's related to the version change but I want to test it more since this is a pretty huge change in the way MC works internally and I don't want to break existing setups.

VenoM

• Recent member
« Reply #968 on: October 08, 2018, 08:34:22 pm »

I notice that the Id (NUC) includes a license for Media Center -- presumably for Linux, which normally sells for $60 if bought on its own. If a master license includes Windows, Mac and Linux and costs $80, is there a way to pay the additional $20 in order to be able to use Media Center on my Windows machine as well?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been clarified.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #969 on: October 09, 2018, 06:16:53 am »

I notice that the Id (NUC) includes a license for Media Center -- presumably for Linux, which normally sells for $60 if bought on its own. If a master license includes Windows, Mac and Linux and costs $80, is there a way to pay the additional $20 in order to be able to use Media Center on my Windows machine as well?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been clarified.

An Id is a standalone licence deal. I'd expect that this is set out on its home page or wiki entry or similar.

While the Id is built on a Debian platform, it's separate from the Linux licence.

The Id has the advantage of requiring minimal user involvement, the compromise with that is that you invariably lose some of the configurability that the MC software offers. While they may appear to look and function in similar ways, there are some critical differences.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #970 on: October 09, 2018, 06:44:10 am »

The Id license is separate comes only with the Id.  You can't use it to purchase any other license as an upgrade.

VenoM

• Recent member
« Reply #971 on: October 09, 2018, 08:43:59 am »

Ok, thanks.
That leads me to my next question --
Would I be able to use "Houseband" to control playback from the Id over Sonos speakers on my LAN?

BradATIMA

« Reply #972 on: October 10, 2018, 08:10:34 am »

Ok, thanks.
That leads me to my next question --
Would I be able to use "Houseband" to control playback from the Id over Sonos speakers on my LAN?

If you're referring to the Amazon Alexa skill, I'm not sure. I can do some testing though.

VenoM

• Recent member
« Reply #973 on: October 10, 2018, 08:24:15 am »

If you're referring to the Amazon Alexa skill, I'm not sure. I can do some testing though.

I would appreciate that. I don't want to buy anything before I know all of these products will mesh correctly. Thanks

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #974 on: October 15, 2018, 11:11:57 am »

Hi,
I think one of the Id posts mentioned the Id provides both Samba and NFS support (This would be on a Pi B+)
What shares are exposed?  For example, are the (watched) imported library directories exposed via NFS export and/or SAMBA?  Also what version of NFS and SAMBA are implemented?

I would like to be able to both play via DLNA or via network drive to my OPPO 205, which I use as my renderer.

Thanks
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

stephenz99

• Recent member
« Reply #975 on: October 29, 2018, 10:44:56 pm »

According to this page https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id the Id has a toslink audio out. Is that correct?

If I want to use the Id as a server with a tablet as the remote, will it still work if my computer is off? I am not familiar with networking.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #976 on: October 30, 2018, 11:11:04 am »

Hi,
I think one of the Id posts mentioned the Id provides both Samba and NFS support (This would be on a Pi B+)
What shares are exposed?  For example, are the (watched) imported library directories exposed via NFS export and/or SAMBA?  Also what version of NFS and SAMBA are implemented?

I would like to be able to both play via DLNA or via network drive to my OPPO 205, which I use as my renderer.

Thanks
The version of  nfs-kernel-server is 1.2.8 on debian which supports nfs3 and 4.
The version of samba is 4.2.14

It exports both the internal media partition as well as any mounted external drive partitions. It does NOT export external mounted shares (since you could simple mount those much more effectively directly).

You should be able to play to your OPPO using both methods.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #977 on: October 30, 2018, 11:13:05 am »

According to this page https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id the Id has a toslink audio out. Is that correct?

If I want to use the Id as a server with a tablet as the remote, will it still work if my computer is off? I am not familiar with networking.
Yes, the IdNUC (not IdPi) has a toslink (optical out). To use it you will need an inexpensive 1/8" toslink adapter and a optical cable.

The Id is standalone. It doesn't need your computer to be a server if you are using any of our remote solutions.

stephenz99

• Recent member
« Reply #978 on: November 18, 2018, 02:56:55 pm »

Hi,

I am working on setting up the Id as a stand alone headless music server and using JRemote to control it. I noticed the install guide said that it supports programs like VNC. Is it possible to connect remotely to the ID from my home computer to set it up, rather than connecting an additional keyboard and mouse. Would I have to install the remote connection program like VNC or Teamviewer on the Id itself to do this?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #979 on: November 18, 2018, 05:48:37 pm »

Hi,

I am working on setting up the Id as a stand alone headless music server and using JRemote to control it. I noticed the install guide said that it supports programs like VNC. Is it possible to connect remotely to the ID from my home computer to set it up, rather than connecting an additional keyboard and mouse. Would I have to install the remote connection program like VNC or Teamviewer on the Id itself to do this?
You don't have to install anything on the Id.  You can connect to it from another machine use VNC etc.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #980 on: November 20, 2018, 05:29:48 pm »

I have even used the current version of Remote Desktop Connection (found in Start --> Windows Accessories) in Windows 10 to access the Id remotely. It works fine, and nothing to download, which is nice.

rance

« Reply #981 on: November 23, 2018, 12:51:28 pm »

Hi,
Can multiple outputs on the Id be active at the same time?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #982 on: November 23, 2018, 10:26:03 pm »

Hi,
Can multiple outputs on the Id be active at the same time?

Outputs of what?

If it's being used as a server, there's no reason it can't serve to multiple client instances.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

rance

« Reply #983 on: November 24, 2018, 09:06:52 am »

Outputs of what?

If it's being used as a server, there's no reason it can't serve to multiple client instances.

Just wanted to confirm that audio can be sent to HDMI and analog outputs, as well as network simultaneously.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #984 on: November 25, 2018, 02:59:42 pm »

Just wanted to confirm that audio can be sent to HDMI and analog outputs, as well as network simultaneously.

Sounds like you should swot up on Zones

rance

« Reply #985 on: November 25, 2018, 03:39:48 pm »

Sounds like you should swot up on Zones

I don't have an Id yet. I've been using MC for quite some time, but I would like to move away from the laptop and the Id looks perfect for my needs, and Zones may indeed be 1 way of dong it. Currently I have all my music on a NAS, and I would like to use the Id as a server for that music, connecting the hdmi out on the Id to my main multi-channel processor, and the analog out to another preamp and amp driving remote speakers. Before purchasing I just wanted to confirm I can use both of those audio outputs on the Id simultaneously. 

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #986 on: November 26, 2018, 05:07:48 am »

I would like to use the Id as a server for that music, connecting the hdmi out on the Id to my main multi-channel processor, and the analog out to another preamp and amp driving remote speakers. Before purchasing I just wanted to confirm I can use both of those audio outputs on the Id simultaneously.

This is not something I've got my Id or IdPi doing.

ZoneSync should be capable of doing what you require but I've not had consistent, reliable performance using it with MC for Windows. What I've found happen that ZoneSync sets up fine and functions fine. The issue is that following a shut down and / or restart, the setup details are lost. I'm sure I've passed this through but didn't get a reply that I recall. If I missed it, then silly me. Anyway, ZoneSync should offer you the function ... as long as it works.

If I'm missing something, then I'm sure that someone will come along and correct me. Happy (in advance) to get the update.

RReid

• Recent member
« Reply #987 on: November 28, 2018, 03:56:13 pm »

Hi. Just bought an Id, wondered if the latest models can sleep and wake on LAN?
Also, will it serve flac files to a Chromecast, using JRemote?
Thanks!

ballen64

• Recent member
« Reply #988 on: December 05, 2018, 09:09:10 pm »

Does the case for the fully baked idpi come with a fan or heat sinks?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #989 on: December 05, 2018, 09:35:16 pm »

It has a heat sink, no fan.

jhbeau

• Recent member
« Reply #990 on: December 12, 2018, 04:02:20 pm »

Help! I'm pretty good with Windows but don't have a clue about Linux. I purchased a JRiver ID 2T and for the past week have been trying to move my music files to the internal hard drive on the ID. At the very least this piece of equipment needs an instruction manual!

I've been all over this forum looking for a simple answer and cannot find one. I've got the music on an external hard drive that is plugged in the usb port on the ID. The ID sees these files and I was able to download those files to the 'Main Library' on the ID but find that they are NOT stored on the ID hard drive but remain on the external drive - not what I want.

Found a post the instructed me to use 'Rename Move and Copy' tool but it doesn't move the file (using another 'Library' directory) to the ID hard drive. When I load the other Library there are no files there. There is no error message so no hint of what might be wrong.

Can someone let me know in layman terms how to accomplish moving files to the ID internal drive? I'd appreciate the help. I really want this to work. Thanks, John

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #991 on: December 12, 2018, 04:16:18 pm »

Did you find the Install Guide?

You can copy and paste from an external drive to the Id's drive by using a Windows machine and opening the Id as a network drive.  Search for Samba problems with that if you're using Win10.

mwmccaw

• Recent member
« Reply #992 on: January 11, 2019, 12:08:35 pm »

How do I add/remove columns in the IdPi display?  In the windows version, I right click in the column header and get a menu.  On the IDPI, when I right click, it makes that column #1 in the sort and/or changes sort direction.

Or is there a manual to Linux version behavior somewhere?  I am deeply familiar with the windows version, but this is baffling me.

TIA,
Mike

mwmccaw

• Recent member
« Reply #993 on: January 11, 2019, 12:41:18 pm »

Never mind, I found it.  Difficult to use, though via remote connection.

mwmccaw

• Recent member
Two idpi problems
« Reply #994 on: January 11, 2019, 04:09:30 pm »

problem 1:  I grouped two zones, but cannot find any way to UNGROUP!  How do I do that?  (a search of the forum returns no response to multiple searches around this issue).

problem 2:  After grouping the zones (the player and a sonos in another room - incidentally, the sonos would NOT play), and being unable to ungroup, I rebooted the system.  Now, I cannot access MC in GUI mode.  It shows at the bottom of the screen, but will NOT display.  Going into headless text, I can see it, but only about 1/4 of the screen.  Setting the view to 50% only shrinks the display area, not the displayed screen.

PLEASE HELP!  Do I have to kill the whole thing and start again from scratch?
Mike

mwmccaw

• Recent member
Two idpi problems
« Reply #995 on: January 11, 2019, 04:32:35 pm »

OK, the display is solved.  Took five reboots, switching back and forth from headless to gui, but I now have a readable display again.

However, I still can't figure out how to get rid of the group, and return to being able to see just the player itself.  Do I have to delete the local zone?  If I do that, do I need to re-configure, or will it re-appear as a single zone on a reboot?
TIA,
Mike

Vivek_R

« Reply #996 on: January 12, 2019, 05:49:58 am »

Hi,

Sorry if parts of the questions below have been answered somewhere, in which case please redirect.

Currently I have JRiver on MacBook Air, which is connected via Wifi to my home network, which in turn feeds an SOTM via Ethernet for glorious music! However, for several reasons including the fact that my MacBook goes through the dreaded sudden mute (googled, no help besides voodoo), would rather free up my MacBook and darn it, I have been so restrained and good about hifi shopping, am seriously considering the Idpi. I would like to use it as a server (music on USB hard drive) connected by Ethernet into my network and then on to the SOTM.

Questions:

1.  If I buy the Idpi, does the JRiver license that comes with it become a “package” with my existing Mac JRiver. Sort of a universal license?

2. Will it open up all the DSP options currently not usable with this configuration?

3. Is JRemote the best way to control this or will my JRiver on Mac “see” the new device.

4. Will the proposed JRiver 25 upgrade come free with the pi if I buy now?

Vivek

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #997 on: January 12, 2019, 07:36:24 am »

The license is separate, so it's not free with another upgrade.  But upgrades have so far been free on the Id.  DSP is the same on the Id version.  Any copy of MC on the network could see the Id and play to it or from it.

bob

• Administrator
Re: Two idpi problems
« Reply #998 on: January 12, 2019, 12:38:01 pm »

problem 1:  I grouped two zones, but cannot find any way to UNGROUP!  How do I do that?  (a search of the forum returns no response to multiple searches around this issue).

problem 2:  After grouping the zones (the player and a sonos in another room - incidentally, the sonos would NOT play), and being unable to ungroup, I rebooted the system.  Now, I cannot access MC in GUI mode.  It shows at the bottom of the screen, but will NOT display.  Going into headless text, I can see it, but only about 1/4 of the screen.  Setting the view to 50% only shrinks the display area, not the displayed screen.

PLEASE HELP!  Do I have to kill the whole thing and start again from scratch?
Mike
Headless text mode should give you a 1920x1080 size display using VNC or remote desktop. If you don't get that, try tigervnc, it seems to work best.

Booting into GUI mode WITH a monitor connected upon boot also will show a 1920x1080 screen in RDP/VNC.

Most DLNA device zones cannot be linked together successfully, the differing hardware is too non-deterministic in it's response to commands.

To unlink a linked zone pair, right-click on the link and do unlink.

If you don't get a right-click menu on the link there is a issue with your rdp/vnc client.

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #999 on: January 18, 2019, 06:18:51 am »

Id NUC 5 mostly problem free but keeps dropping USB connection to DAC for no obvious reason.  Can run 'audio device' from hw: and front: but drop outs occur on both.  Sometimes will play for hours with no problem, sometimes 20 minutes.  Any thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 ... 26   Go Up