INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 370490 times)

AlexSind

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #1100 on: October 02, 2019, 01:16:40 pm »

From the main text menu, do function 10. It will show you the devices and their supported sample rates.
Also, which device did you choose?
In general the one you want starts with
hw:
That was it! Selecting the USB device starting with "hw" solved the problem. Thank you, Bob!
The Renderer works perfectly now (very happy with the sound quality).
Now, moving on to the media server setup. I mounted an external USB drive (formatted as FAT32), where I keep my music. When I browse the Id's file system, I do see my USB drive; however:
1) it contains no files or directories (so I can't import music from it)
2) I can't see the attached drive from my PC (under "Network").
Thank you for your help.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1101 on: October 03, 2019, 08:37:59 am »

I believe I found answers for my questions:
Problem #1: not seeing folders and files on the attached USB drive.
Cause: FAT32 formatting. Worked fine with a different NTFS  formatted drive. I'll be reformatting my FAT32 drive.

Problem #2: not seeing Id's file system on my Windows 10 PC.
Cause: SMB 1.0 disabled in Windows 10 by default (found a post on this topic in this forum).

I think this kind of information (about the supported file system formats and Samba quirks) should find its way to the wiki for Id's setup. Otherwise, it's rather difficult to find.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #1102 on: October 03, 2019, 10:03:24 am »

I believe I found answers for my questions:
Problem #1: not seeing folders and files on the attached USB drive.
Cause: FAT32 formatting. Worked fine with a different NTFS  formatted drive. I'll be reformatting my FAT32 drive.

Problem #2: not seeing Id's file system on my Windows 10 PC.
Cause: SMB 1.0 disabled in Windows 10 by default (found a post on this topic in this forum).

I think this kind of information (about the supported file system formats and Samba quirks) should find its way to the wiki for Id's setup. Otherwise, it's rather difficult to find.
Thanks for the feedback, I'd like to verify that you are seeing that FAT32 drives don't show up and NTFS do?
Is it FAT32 OR ExFat?

As for the networking, you can use it without enabling SMB 1.0 however to do that you need to access it via it's IP address. So if you do 11 on the main menu and you see an IP address for example of 1.2.3.4 you'd enter this on you windows 10 machine in the run line:

\\1.2.3.4\

You then should see the Internal and External storage folders on the Id.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1103 on: October 03, 2019, 11:03:22 am »

Thanks for the feedback, I'd like to verify that you are seeing that FAT32 drives don't show up and NTFS do?
Is it FAT32 OR ExFat?

I only tested FAT32 (did NOTshow up)  and NTFS (did show up OK)
(The reason I had a FAT32 drive is that it it was the only format recognized by Airport Extreme for USB attached drives)

As for the networking, you can use it without enabling SMB 1.0 however to do that you need to access it via it's IP address. So if you do 11 on the main menu and you see an IP address for example of 1.2.3.4 you'd enter this on you windows 10 machine in the run line:

\\1.2.3.4\
You then should see the Internal and External storage folders on the Id.

I believe I did try the Id's IP directly in a Windows Explorer, but instead of taking me to the Id's file system, it redirected me to the control panel.
Another question: when I navigate to the Id device in Windows Explorer (under Networking), I get prompted for username/password. If I enter Admin/Admin, I'm allowed to access it. Is this the expected behavior, or can I can disable this security prompt?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1104 on: October 03, 2019, 11:21:35 am »

I only tested FAT32 (did NOTshow up)  and NTFS (did show up OK)
(The reason I had a FAT32 drive is that it it was the only format recognized by Airport Extreme for USB attached drives)

I believe I did try the Id's IP directly in a Windows Explorer, but instead of taking me to the Id's file system, it redirected me to the control panel.
Another question: when I navigate to the Id device in Windows Explorer (under Networking), I get prompted for username/password. If I enter Admin/Admin, I'm allowed to access it. Is this the expected behavior, or can I can disable this security prompt?
I can't see any issue with FAT32. I do see that ExFAT is missing. It will be fixed in the next update.
The Id doesn't require authentication to use it's share from windows 10 if you access it's shares under "Computer" not one of the media devices in explorer. If you are still having to enter a login/password you probably have an issue with guest access on your windows 10.

When entering the IP address from the search box with the backslashes you should not get the webpage, i.e.  \\1.2.3.4\

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1105 on: October 04, 2019, 09:33:00 am »

I can't see any issue with FAT32. I do see that ExFAT is missing. It will be fixed in the next update.
The Id doesn't require authentication to use it's share from windows 10 if you access it's shares under "Computer" not one of the media devices in explorer. If you are still having to enter a login/password you probably have an issue with guest access on your windows 10.

When entering the IP address from the search box with the backslashes you should not get the webpage, i.e.  \\1.2.3.4\
I think the issue with mounting the drive had to do with a space in the drive's name (WD PASSPORT). Once I removed it, I was able to mount it.
I'm having the following issue now: once I've imported a library into the Id, it stopped showing as a Renderer on the network. I can now only use it as a media sever. What could be causing this?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1106 on: October 04, 2019, 10:12:43 am »

I think the issue with mounting the drive had to do with a space in the drive's name (WD PASSPORT). Once I removed it, I was able to mount it.
I'm having the following issue now: once I've imported a library into the Id, it stopped showing as a Renderer on the network. I can now only use it as a media sever. What could be causing this?
I'll check into the space issue.
Did you import a library from somewhere else OR import files into a library on the Id?
Do you have more than one Id on your network?
You might want to check under Tools->Options->Media Network->Advanced
to see if the renderer function is enabled.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1107 on: October 04, 2019, 10:23:15 am »

I'll check into the space issue.
Did you import a library from somewhere else OR import files into a library on the Id?
Do you have more than one Id on your network?
You might want to check under Tools->Options->Media Network->Advanced
to see if the renderer function is enabled.
I imported Main the library from my PC (to preserve the custom views), and then just updated the file paths to point to the mounted USB drivie.
Only one Id on the network (I can barely handle just one  :))
"Renderer" and "Server" enabled in the Media Network on the ID. Interestingly enough, on my PC MediaCenter, I can see the Id as a Server, but not as a Renderer.
FYI, the Id is not connected to the Internet, only to a local network dedicated for streaming (I don't think this would matter).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1108 on: October 04, 2019, 10:46:50 am »

I imported Main the library from my PC (to preserve the custom views), and then just updated the file paths to point to the mounted USB drivie.
Only one Id on the network (I can barely handle just one  :))
"Renderer" and "Server" enabled in the Media Network on the ID. Interestingly enough, on my PC MediaCenter, I can see the Id as a Server, but not as a Renderer.
FYI, the Id is not connected to the Internet, only to a local network dedicated for streaming (I don't think this would matter).
It doesn't have to be connected to the internet except to get updates, download the chromium browser that runs inside of MC and the libav components (only once for each of the last two unless MC updates). It does have a usable IP address on the same network as your PC, right? (option 11 on the Id menu).

Since you imported the library it's also possible you got the same UUID's for the render on both systems which would explain what you are seeing.

You could try some detective work with the device spy from the UPnP for developer tools on your PC.

If none of the above apply, you might try backing up that library on the Id from the MC menu (it will save into the Documents directory on the Id) then make a second save to the /export/media directory where you can copy it off to another machine. Next do a function 77 to restore the Id's library to it's original state (which will have unique UUIDS) then restore the library from your backup choosing to NOT restore the settings from your backup.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1109 on: October 04, 2019, 12:05:37 pm »

[...] you might try backing up that library on the Id from the MC menu (it will save into the Documents directory on the Id) then make a second save to the /export/media directory where you can copy it off to another machine. Next do a function 77 to restore the Id's library to it's original state (which will have unique UUIDS) then restore the library from your backup choosing to NOT restore the settings from your backup.
Thank you again: you were spot on! In fact, I noticed that after I initially importing the library, it also reset Id's access key to that of my PC's Media Center. I went through the reset process (as you'd suggested), and can now use the Id as either the server or the renderer.
This was quite a journey!
On more rather unrelated question: if I eventually choose not to use the Id as a media server (because I have doubts as to whether it can efficiently cope with auto-importing library changes), which is the better option:
1) Use Id as a Renderer, and my PC Media Center as a server/pusher.
2) Use the remote library (from my PC) on my Id, and just have it play from it
Will the 2nd option allow Id to better manage the loading of the playlist, or are these options basically equivalent.
Again, thank you for your help!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1110 on: October 04, 2019, 01:01:11 pm »

Thank you again: you were spot on! In fact, I noticed that after I initially importing the library, it also reset Id's access key to that of my PC's Media Center. I went through the reset process (as you'd suggested), and can now use the Id as either the server or the renderer.
This was quite a journey!
On more rather unrelated question: if I eventually choose not to use the Id as a media server (because I have doubts as to whether it can efficiently cope with auto-importing library changes), which is the better option:
1) Use Id as a Renderer, and my PC Media Center as a server/pusher.
2) Use the remote library (from my PC) on my Id, and just have it play from it
Will the 2nd option allow Id to better manage the loading of the playlist, or are these options basically equivalent.
Again, thank you for your help!
There aren't a lot of advantages/disadvantages between those 2 approaches IMO, I guess for simplicity I'd probably lean towards the first option.
I'm not sure why there would be an issue with the Id as theserver with the media on it other than perhaps if you need to do video iso rips which we can't handle in Linux or Mac yet.

What I do at home is to put all of my media on the IdNUC so it's available all the time to JRemote, etc even if my main PC is off. Then I have several IdPI's which I use to push content to and then on my server I periodically pull a backup from the IdNUC so I always have a second copy of all of my files. If you wish you could choose that /export/media folder for your library backup too so that gets included in the backup files.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1111 on: October 04, 2019, 04:09:02 pm »

There aren't a lot of advantages/disadvantages between those 2 approaches IMO, I guess for simplicity I'd probably lean towards the first option.
I'm not sure why there would be an issue with the Id as the server with the media on it other than perhaps if you need to do video iso rips which we can't handle in Linux or Mac yet.

Fair points. The only reason I even asked about 1) vs 2) has to do with gapless playback. While the latter works fine 99.9% of the time, I have a few classical albums with very short tracks - about 20 seconds. I noticed several times that there was a short gap between them, as if the Id did not have enough time to load the next track. I thought the 2nd approach with using the remote library may give the Id a better opportunity to load the next track in time for gapless.
Most importantly, though, I'm all good with the setup, and already have options to choose from, for which I thank you again.
My (probably, groundless) reservation regarding using the NUC as a Media Server is caused by observing how slow it was to load my library, and, especially, update the thumbnails. But that was, of course, a one time load of a different order of magnitude, comparing to adding a few new albums.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1112 on: October 04, 2019, 04:16:50 pm »

Fair points. The only reason I even asked about 1) vs 2) has to do with gapless playback. While the latter works fine 99.9% of the time, I have a few classical albums with very short tracks - about 20 seconds. I noticed several times that there was a short gap between them, as if the Id did not have enough time to load the next track. I thought the 2nd approach with using the remote library may give the Id a better opportunity to load the next track in time for gapless.
Most importantly, though, I'm all good with the setup, and already have options to choose from, for which I thank you again.
My (probably, groundless) reservation regarding using the NUC as a Media Server is caused by observing how slow it was to load my library, and, especially, update the thumbnails. But that was, of course, a one time load of a different order of magnitude, comparing to adding a few new albums.
Pushing to the renderer gaplessly will be an issue on very short tracks. The renderer needs time to start buffering the next track and the pusher needs to try to decide when the optimal time to do that is. The result is that with tracks under 30 seconds it gets to be a bit dicey.
The load time of a library on the Id client is slow the first time because it downloads the database form the server then generates the thumbnails (and stores them) locally. You'd get similar speed using a different PC loading it from your server PC the first time (of course the faster the client PC, the faster the thumbs are generated). You can control how aggressive the thumbs are built on the client (search for thumbnail under options).

bhealy

« Reply #1113 on: October 09, 2019, 02:53:03 pm »

I recently moved MC23 to a new PC. I also have an IDNuc that I can see in MC23 on my PC, but it's not playing any files. It starts a playing a file but then shows Stopped and moves to the next file. I'm sure it's something with moving MC23 to the new PC, but I can't identify how to resolve the issue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #1114 on: October 09, 2019, 03:27:39 pm »

Firewall on the new PC?  Open ports 52100 to 52200.

bhealy

« Reply #1115 on: October 09, 2019, 05:17:15 pm »

That didn't seem to work. I turned off the firewall and anti-virus and restarted everything. Now in MC23 it shows "Waiting" when trying to play a file to the Id...and then moves to the next file. Is there something else I can try?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1116 on: October 10, 2019, 10:59:20 am »

That didn't seem to work. I turned off the firewall and anti-virus and restarted everything. Now in MC23 it shows "Waiting" when trying to play a file to the Id...and then moves to the next file. Is there something else I can try?
For sure.
How are you playing the files from the PC to the Id?
Pushing them from the PC or connecting to the PC from the Id as a library server client?
What type of files are they?
What audio device are you using on the Id? What is the audio device the Id has configured to use in Tools->Options->Audio?

bhealy

« Reply #1117 on: October 10, 2019, 03:18:18 pm »

That was it...you got me pointed in the right direction!
For some reason the Audio Device was set to Default. I reset it to see my DAC and everything started working perfectly again.
I really love my JRiver software and hardware...thanks for the help!

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1118 on: October 18, 2019, 12:29:44 pm »

Hello!
Since my separate thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122518.0.html
did not get much attention, I thought I'd summarize my observations here:
1) if I switch off my USB DAC, before the Id has completely finished playing (perhaps, some extra silence at the end of the track), it gets into some weird state, wherein if add tracks to my playlist later on, JRiver won't respond to the attempts to play them, until I press "Stop".
2) If I remote to Id with the DAC being turned off, it resets the Audio Output to "Audio Jack", messing the playback afterwards. Interestingly, this only happen with the main Player. Another zone's (which added for this precise reason) audio output does not get reset.
Nothing major here, but it would be nice if these peculiar behaviors were eliminated (especially, the 1st one)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1119 on: October 18, 2019, 01:07:46 pm »

Hello!
Since my separate thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122518.0.html
did not get much attention, I thought I'd summarize my observations here:
1) if I switch off my USB DAC, before the Id has completely finished playing (perhaps, some extra silence at the end of the track), it gets into some weird state, wherein if add tracks to my playlist later on, JRiver won't respond to the attempts to play them, until I press "Stop".
2) If I remote to Id with the DAC being turned off, it resets the Audio Output to "Audio Jack", messing the playback afterwards. Interestingly, this only happen with the main Player. Another zone's (which added for this precise reason) audio output does not get reset.
Nothing major here, but it would be nice if these peculiar behaviors were eliminated (especially, the 1st one)
When the device disappears from the ALSA devices MC switches back to the default device which explains what you are seeing. That happens on the active zone.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1120 on: November 01, 2019, 04:41:45 pm »

We updated the Id MC to 25.0.113.
For the NUC Id's this will make the NUC download the libav components the first time it runs after updating so it will take a while to start depending of course on your internet connection speed.
Also, a small fix was made to the base package scripts so that version will increment as well.

HS12

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #1121 on: November 01, 2019, 05:54:57 pm »

We updated the Id MC to 25.0.113.
For the NUC Id's this will make the NUC download the libav components the first time it runs after updating so it will take a while to start depending of course on your internet connection speed.
Also, a small fix was made to the base package scripts so that version will increment as well.
Update appears to have gone through OK Id:24.0.15 MC:25.0.113 Engen 1.0.69 Now have Cloudplay and a nice run auto import button on Panel.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1122 on: November 09, 2019, 09:33:46 am »

First, let me start by saying that the Id is great, and I'm really enjoying it!
Now, I'm struggling with the following "issue": I used to RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) into it, from my PC, and it was very fast and convenient.
Yesterday, I restarted the Id, and RDC became very sluggish (at best).
If I reboot with an external monitor attached via HDMI, RDC gives normal resolution, but is extremely sluggish (by comparison the external mouse and keyboard attached to the Id are working fine).
If I reboot again in the GUI mode (without the external monitor attached), RDC is much more responsive, but the resolution is barely usable (too distorted, blurry and big).
Any ideas what may be happening and how to fix this? I got used to relying on RDC, and would like to make functional again.
I tried different RDC settings (connection speed/color depth) - to no avail.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1123 on: November 09, 2019, 05:10:29 pm »

I'm struggling with the following "issue": I used to RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) into it, from my PC, and it was very fast and convenient. Yesterday, I restarted the Id, and RDC became very sluggish (at best).
I've figured it out: to have a responsive RDC, I've got start the Id in mode #3 (Text with HDMI initialization). This way, surprisingly, I both have access to the GUI, and RDC from my Windows desktop is extremely responsive.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1124 on: November 11, 2019, 09:39:50 am »

I've figured it out: to have a responsive RDC, I've got start the Id in mode #3 (Text with HDMI initialization). This way, surprisingly, I both have access to the GUI, and RDC from my Windows desktop is extremely responsive.
Thanks for the feedback.
The text modes are meant to be used when you boot without a monitor attached.
In the text modes a different XServer is used which probably explains the performance difference you see.
The difference between the two text modes is that if you are using HDMI audio output you can choose option 3 like you did so that the audio hardware will be initialized.

NorthGeorgiaWX

• Recent member
  • It's a jeep thing... you wouldn't understand
« Reply #1125 on: November 19, 2019, 04:54:20 pm »

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before but why would I buy the Id over installing windows MC on a DIY or pre-built NUC? I am looking to leave it on the whole time to act as a library server for other instances of MC both on the network and remotely. Any views appreciated.
Good question. I already have a NUC (actually two) that both run MC25 without issue. Not sure why I'd want an Id.

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #1126 on: November 20, 2019, 10:15:11 am »

Hi Bob (and others).  Having trouble re-connecting to my Id after being absent for a while.  Using monitor via hdmi, Main Menu page doesn't show Access Key, error message says' trouble resolving 'jriver.com': Name or service not known' and then JRiver page disappears from the screen after a minute or so.  Tried to go to network manager and got a pop up saying 'Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface.  Check the wicd log for error messages'.  I'm trying to get back to an ethernet connection. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1127 on: November 20, 2019, 10:17:47 am »

Just discovered a fix for the issue using GUI mode and RDC on the NUC7 Id's. Will push an update soon.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1128 on: November 20, 2019, 10:20:25 am »

Hi Bob (and others).  Having trouble re-connecting to my Id after being absent for a while.  Using monitor via hdmi, Main Menu page doesn't show Access Key, error message says' trouble resolving 'jriver.com': Name or service not known' and then JRiver page disappears from the screen after a minute or so.  Tried to go to network manager and got a pop up saying 'Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface.  Check the wicd log for error messages'.  I'm trying to get back to an ethernet connection.
The Id goes into Access Point mode when there isn't a network connection after a minute or so. When in accesspoint mode you can connect to it with your phone and configure the wireless settings. Alternately, if you connect an ethernet cable, it will come up normally.

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #1129 on: November 21, 2019, 02:14:13 pm »

I've been trying but no joy so far.  I've got it ethernet connected but the network manager seems to crash shortly after booting up.  Then I get a pop up saying "Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface.  Check the wicd log for error messages".  The NUC sees the wireless service but doesn't pick up from DHCP. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1130 on: November 21, 2019, 02:44:35 pm »

I've been trying but no joy so far.  I've got it ethernet connected but the network manager seems to crash shortly after booting up.  Then I get a pop up saying "Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface.  Check the wicd log for error messages".  The NUC sees the wireless service but doesn't pick up from DHCP.
What happens if you run function 11 from the main main instead of running the network manager?
Does it have an IP address?

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #1131 on: November 22, 2019, 08:04:24 am »

Was still having trouble but have now found it using a network IP scanner and have access via phone.  It doesn't appear to have an access key though and I can't access it via computer or directly from the Id itself.  Nor does it show on my mac as library or player running jriver.

mdooney@gmail.com

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #1132 on: November 22, 2019, 08:10:09 am »

Tried again using ip address and 52199 and got access.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1133 on: November 22, 2019, 09:21:46 am »

Tried again using ip address and 52199 and got access.
If you got access with that you can use Remote desktop or VNC to get into the GUI then in the settings check the see if the access key has changed.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1134 on: November 22, 2019, 01:18:27 pm »

The Id goes into Access Point mode when there isn't a network connection after a minute or so. When in accesspoint mode you can connect to it with your phone and configure the wireless settings. Alternately, if you connect an ethernet cable, it will come up normally.

Bob, so you once you push the update, which mode (GUI vs Text with HDMI initialization) would you recommend for this use case: run it headlessly most of the time, but occasionally remote to it, for various needs?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1135 on: November 22, 2019, 02:03:41 pm »

Bob, so you once you push the update, which mode (GUI vs Text with HDMI initialization) would you recommend for this use case: run it headlessly most of the time, but occasionally remote to it, for various needs?
For your use case I'd suggest text mode with no hdmi init (unless you have a HDMI amp, then text with HDMI init).
Both of the text modes use the same vnc server which is different from the one that's used when running in GUI mode.
Basically in GUI mode, the xserver for remote connections needs to track the changes being made on the real hardware where the text mode one does not.
The update is live now so you can run option 12 to get the fix.

ubiknik

« Reply #1136 on: January 13, 2020, 12:22:54 pm »

I am interested in the 300 ID nuc, but only if I can install a Pink Faun i2s bridge, I saw on the Intel site that this NUC has an open PCI slot and that should be where this card can plug in. the PF I2S HDMI card is a PCIe card. I have a Denafrips Pontus DAC, and this card is one of a few HDMI outputs that are known to work into it.
Will the ID software on this nuc allow this pci card to be installed and configured for the digital audio out?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1137 on: January 13, 2020, 03:47:09 pm »

I am interested in the 300 ID nuc, but only if I can install a Pink Faun i2s bridge, I saw on the Intel site that this NUC has an open PCI slot and that should be where this card can plug in. the PF I2S HDMI card is a PCIe card. I have a Denafrips Pontus DAC, and this card is one of a few HDMI outputs that are known to work into it.
Will the ID software on this nuc allow this pci card to be installed and configured for the digital audio out?
Is that device supported in Generic Debian linux using ALSA?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #1138 on: January 17, 2020, 01:54:32 am »

The Pink Faun i2s Bridge looks like an actual full sized 1x PCIe card. Such things don't fit into a NUC. The NUC has one M.2 slot available, which is a 22x30 E-key slot for WiFi cards. While you can theoretically pull the WiFi card and put something else in there, it would need to be specifically made for that Key and size (22x30 is very small).

Newer NUC models have an additional 22x80 M-key slot for PCIe SSDs. But none would fit an actual PCIe 1x add-in card, it would have to be specifically a M.2 card. And those don't have much room. Nevermind that those slots are entirely internal and could never expose a HDMI port.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Tunedac

• Recent member
« Reply #1139 on: February 13, 2020, 08:55:32 pm »

Any chance of a newer id any time soon?  This one might be fine but it looks like it might be over 6 years old and I am reluctant to buy that old. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #1140 on: February 13, 2020, 09:31:00 pm »

If you mean the NUC we use, it's 2 years old, not 6 years.  We only change it when we think there's something better available at a good price.

We're using this one right now: 
NUC7CJYH

BradATIMA

« Reply #1141 on: February 18, 2020, 09:16:25 am »

Any chance of a newer id any time soon?  This one might be fine but it looks like it might be over 6 years old and I am reluctant to buy that old.

Just to add to Jim's comment. We use the Celeron versions of the NUCs because they're powerful enough for the Id firmware. As far as I know, the 8th, 9th, and 10th generation NUCs do not have Celeron versions. The only exception is the NUC8CCHKR, which has very different hardware.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1142 on: March 07, 2020, 01:07:53 pm »

I've attempted to switch from my wired network to a WiFi on with Internet connectivity (to check for updates), and this opened a can of worms.
In the Network Manager, I unchecked "Use Default Wired Profile" at the top, which was probably a mistake.
Then with my WiFi connection seemingly working, I was no longer able to establish a Remote Desktop connection (to the static IP configured for the WiFi network). So, I restarted the Id. However, then it started failing at the network setup stage: it would not connect to either the wired network, nor to the WiFi, and stop the boot process without opening JRiver.
In the attempt to fix the problem, I did things, which did not help me:
1) A full reset ("Restore Defaults" - option 77)
2) Restored the BIOS settings defaults (hope it did not break anything).
I was eventually able to get it back to a working state by manually re-configuring the wired connection.
But the very next time I switched to my WiFi network with Internet (this time without the static IP or the setting to "always join this network"), I got myself back into the same state: not being able establish the wired connection, upon restarting.
Fiddling with the configuration of the wired connection (mainly, just opening it in the text mode, saving, and manually re-connecting), I'm back to "normal" again. However, I feel the network connectivity is no longer stable, and the problem may recur any time. (Also, FYI, starting the Id in the GUI mode without a successful network connection causes additional problems: JRiver crushes immediately upon start up, and there are other errors).
What should I do? Should I just send the unit to you, for a complete re-imaging? Are there any other ways to get the Networking stable? Is it possible that restoring the BIOS defaults caused any problems?
Sorry for the long email. But, arguably, the fact of attempting to connect to WiFi should get the ID to the state, wherein it's unable to even properly boot.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #1143 on: March 07, 2020, 06:25:56 pm »

In GUI mode, right click on the desktop and start Wicd. 

Make sure you don't have it set to use both wifi and wired.  Only one should have a valid IP address.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1144 on: March 07, 2020, 06:50:13 pm »

In GUI mode, right click on the desktop and start Wicd. 

Make sure you don't have it set to use both wifi and wired.  Only one should have a valid IP address.

Jim, I've followed your instructions (and it gave me the same Network Manager window as option 13).
At the moment, it's only connected to the wired network (and everything functions properly).
But when I need to temporarily switch to my WiFi (to check for updates), what are the steps?
Before, I'd just connect to my other (WiFi) network (and leave "Connect Automatically" unchecked), and it would disconnect the wired network, prior to connecting to the WiFi. The problem is that upon restarting (after the updates have been installed), it would not be able to connect at all. Since "Connect Automatically" was left unchecked, I'd expect it to connect to the wired network, but it did not happen.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1145 on: March 08, 2020, 02:28:28 pm »

Jim, I've followed your instructions (and it gave me the same Network Manager window as option 13).
At the moment, it's only connected to the wired network (and everything functions properly).
But when I need to temporarily switch to my WiFi (to check for updates), what are the steps?
Before, I'd just connect to my other (WiFi) network (and leave "Connect Automatically" unchecked), and it would disconnect the wired network, prior to connecting to the WiFi. The problem is that upon restarting (after the updates have been installed), it would not be able to connect at all. Since "Connect Automatically" was left unchecked, I'd expect it to connect to the wired network, but it did not happen.
If your firmware is up to date, when the Id goes completely off line it will go into accesspoint mode so the wireless can be configured. You'll actually see it show up as an accesspoint on your network.
I'd suggest the when you want to upgrade the firmware you go into the network manager and enable the "connect automatically" on the wireless network, then remove the ethernet cable and reboot it. Do the opposite when returning to the wired net.
Alternately I think you could just connect to the accesspoint with a phone and re-configure the network at which point it will reboot onto your wireless network.

AlexSind

• Recent member
« Reply #1146 on: March 08, 2020, 07:10:31 pm »

Not sure if I completely understand the access point mode (for example, after you connect to the ID access point, how do you configure it?), but the other instructions are clear to me (and I can always connect an external display, if worse comes to worst).

To install updates, do you only need to have an Internet connection to download them, or is it also needed when the ID is restarted?
Also, is it normal to see various kinds of errors when the ID is not connected to the network (e.g. Wicd crushing, or not seeing all the menu options)? Also, at some point, after the updates have been loaded, it even complained about some BIOS "posts" problem (but the error went away, after restarting one more time).
It's working fine now, but having seen all these errors at different stages makes me a bit nervous.
As always, thank you for your help.

Tunedac

• Recent member
« Reply #1147 on: March 09, 2020, 09:25:22 am »

playing to id nuc6, hdmi out to av from mc26 win10 controlled jremote2 on android tablet. can see GUI menu on display and plays 5.1 music for about 5 minutes or so then stops playing and menu is no longer seen.  After rebooting from button on id, can resume play and see menu but all stops after about 5 minutes?   suggestions greatly appreciated.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1148 on: March 09, 2020, 11:05:17 am »

Not sure if I completely understand the access point mode (for example, after you connect to the ID access point, how do you configure it?), but the other instructions are clear to me (and I can always connect an external display, if worse comes to worst).

To install updates, do you only need to have an Internet connection to download them, or is it also needed when the ID is restarted?
Also, is it normal to see various kinds of errors when the ID is not connected to the network (e.g. Wicd crushing, or not seeing all the menu options)? Also, at some point, after the updates have been loaded, it even complained about some BIOS "posts" problem (but the error went away, after restarting one more time).
It's working fine now, but having seen all these errors at different stages makes me a bit nervous.
As always, thank you for your help.
If you connect to the Id as when it's in accesspoint mode with an iOS device it will automatically popup a page that lets you configure the Id wireless connection.
If you connect to it in accesspoint mode with an Android device you need to try to access any page from a browser on your android device and you will get the same configuration page.

When the Id is in accesspoint mode, only the menu items that are useful are shown on the main menu (which is why it changes).

It only needs to connect to the the internet to download updates, not when first starting but it does need to be connected to a wired or wireless network when you first start it up so it can get an IP address (or you can configure it statically through wicd).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #1149 on: March 09, 2020, 11:08:39 am »

playing to id nuc6, hdmi out to av from mc26 win10 controlled jremote2 on android tablet. can see GUI menu on display and plays 5.1 music for about 5 minutes or so then stops playing and menu is no longer seen.  After rebooting from button on id, can resume play and see menu but all stops after about 5 minutes?   suggestions greatly appreciated.
What build of MC are you running (see the main menu for version info)?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26   Go Up