INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems register license and now, running as nonadmin and admin...  (Read 1148 times)

NirreFirre

• Recent member

Hi, I installed MC20 fresh on our main Win7x64 machine (using nonadmin user but was prompted by UAC to give admin rights) a couple of days ago. I've been using the home server (Win 8x64) successfully with MC19 to manage our media and thought it would be nice to be able to do so without RDP from the Win7 machine.

Anyway, the new installation went ok but starting MC (as the main nonadmin user) threw a "cannot read Library 'Main Library' in C:\Users\<adminUser>\Roaming\..." type of error the first day so I figured I needed to be running as admin. That worked fine and I got the licence registered and could connect to the SERVER (Win8) library, do some work and sync.

Now, today I started MC20 again on the Win7 PC (admin) and was greeted by the Trial-license message...  :( I naturally tried using the mjr file again, I'm prompted for admin rights and get two (!) "Licence for Media Center was successfully installed!" messages. Running again as admin still shows the program as "UNREGISTERED".

Running as nonadmin throws "Error Loading Library" with remote SERVER library and the local "Main Library" give me a "Database Read-Only" message so I guess it uses the admin user's DB...  ?

Could someone point me in the right direction?  :-* (regedit, switches, manually install licence file etc?) I'm an IT consultant so don't be afraid of technical suggestions ;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems register license and now, running as nonadmin and admin...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 03:12:43 pm »

Make sure you're installing the license with the correct version.  See "Restoring a License" on our wiki for details.

If you're running two machines, they must both be registered.

NirreFirre

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:39:11 am »

Thanks Jim, and yes, the second (Win7, MC20) install has indeed its own licence mjr file that I restored. The server install is 2-4 weeks old (bought around when 20 was announced) so I had to generate a new anyhow. Could it be something with the 19 (post July) and 20 working with the same license? Or that the licence only works on a per user-account basis in Windows? For a clean install, is any special steps needed (uninstall, then install would be sufficient?)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:47:47 am »

You can't restore a license on the portable install.  It's done for you if you install from a correctly licensed ordinary install.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Portable_Drive_Installation

But if you just want to license a second machine of yours, please read this:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

NirreFirre

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 08:49:30 am »

I'm not doing a portable install, just a regular one ("Program Files (x86)") that will act a client to the main Library of the server. So yeah, I did license a second machine (using MC20) but it won't keep the licensing information it initially tells me it got when opening the fresh mjr file. Please reread my initial post if this is unclear.

Ps. As I noted, I'm used to installing, configure and extend a lot of enterprise software so the FAQ's usefulness is already exhausted. My English is not my mother tongue so that could be a reason we talk past each other..? DS
Pages: [1]   Go Up