INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media client/server connectivity  (Read 2829 times)

Mark Stega

• Recent member
Media client/server connectivity
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:34:26 am »

I have two PC's running MC19; On one I have enabled the server with authentication off and all three DLNA options off. On the other I have selected 'Sync' for the library and entered the access key. The client option to autosync is set. Each machine has an identical UNC share to the media file location. When I update the library on the client I never see the server library update. I have disabled the firewall on eaxh PC and removed the authentication requirement on the server in an effort to troubleshoot.

How do I enable logging/tracing on each instance of MC19 to determine what the issue might be? Or, is there a better diagnostic path to follow?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media client/server logging
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:37:38 am »

Auto sync requires authentication.

Mark Stega

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 06:46:10 am »

OK; I turned authentication back to "on"; Where do I configure the username & password on the client side instance of MC19?

BTW, I found the logging but didn't see anything that helped.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:21:36 am »

OK; I turned authentication back to "on"; Where do I configure the username & password on the client side instance of MC19?

It'll ask when you try to connect.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mark Stega

• Recent member
Re: Media client/server connectivity
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 07:53:19 am »

I'm not getting a prompt...

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 08:42:03 am »

It remembers the authentication, maybe you logged in before?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mark Stega

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 09:42:10 am »

Possibly I did when trying to get this set up. It would still lead me back to the fundamental question over how to best debug the fact that client updates aren't making their way to the server library.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 10:14:51 am »

Possibly I did when trying to get this set up. It would still lead me back to the fundamental question over how to best debug the fact that client updates aren't making their way to the server library.

To be clear, with authentication enabled the changes are still not being synced?  What kinds of changes are you trying to make?

Mark Stega

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 10:48:52 am »

I am ripping CDs, DVDs, and BRs on the client. The data is being placed on a NAS. I want the library to replicate to the server (which has identical access as the client to the NAS via a UNC share). Eventually I want to add another client and gain access to the library.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 11:55:08 am »

I am ripping CDs, DVDs, and BRs on the client. The data is being placed on a NAS. I want the library to replicate to the server (which has identical access as the client to the NAS via a UNC share). Eventually I want to add another client and gain access to the library.

Currently clients can't rip while connected to the library server, so your client PC must have a separate library that you're using for ripping.  That's probably why you're not seeing the settings sync because your local library that you use for ripping and the server library are not connected.

Here's how I deal with that in my setup:

I have a "working" library on my main ripping PC that I use to rip things to local directories.  I do all the tagging that I need to do, make sure all the tags are written to the files, and then use the "rename, move, copy" function to move the files to my server (in your case you would move them to the NAS).

I have auto-import enabled on my server watching all the server-side directories, so the server picks up the new files and imports them correctly.  Then the client can log into the server's library and everything is right there.

Does that make sense?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 02:55:10 pm »

Currently clients can't rip, so your client PC must have a separate library that you're using for ripping.
Maybe I'm not understanding this, but a client can rip discs and put the files on a NAS.  If the server was set to auto-import those files, the clients should eventually see them.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 03:07:02 pm »

Maybe I'm not understanding this, but a client can rip discs and put the files on a NAS.  If the server was set to auto-import those files, the clients should eventually see them.

When a client is connected to a library server (logged into the server's library) the client cannot rip or import files (those options are greyed out).  To rip or import the client must first load a local library (or load the server's library as though it were a local library) which means disconnecting from the library server.  So to rip, a client has to, in effect, stop being a client for a minute.

See this long post by glynor about the issue and workarounds: http://yabb.JRiver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88169.msg604361#msg604361

I edited my post above to make it clearer what I meant.

Mark Stega

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 03:27:23 pm »

Currently clients can't rip, so your client PC must have a separate library that you're using for ripping.  That's why you're not seeing the settings sync because your local library that you use for ripping and the server library are not connected.

I have a local library on the client and picked "Sync Library..." while the library was selected in the "Playing Now" hierarchy and then added the server key. If this is not supported than why can I even pick the option in the GUI? This was the cause of my confusion. I have read the Glynor post and realize (now) that MC really isn't a client/server system for media functions that involve file additions as opposed to the DLNA functions that are true client/server implementations.

It would seem then that I would be far better off making the PC where I want to do the ripping the MC server and share that library outward given the desire not to have to go through rename/move/copy steps. Alternatively I could put the library itself on the NAS and have it as a "local" library for all connected PC's and manage them such that the 'ripper' has write access. Is support for true client/server on the development road-map?

Mark Stega

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 11:30:33 am »

It would seem then that I would be far better off making the PC where I want to do the ripping the MC server and share that library outward given the desire not to have to go through rename/move/copy steps. Alternatively I could put the library itself on the NAS and have it as a "local" library for all connected PC's and manage them such that the 'ripper' has write access.
I tried both methods, that of having the 'ripping' PC own the library and sharing it and also that of having the library on the NAS; Both worked and I ended up with the NAS based single library only because that was the second method tried.
Pages: [1]   Go Up