INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 download  (Read 4689 times)

markus1299

• Recent member
MC20 download
« on: August 30, 2014, 11:07:45 am »

I was running MC18 and opted for the upgrade to the MC20 on my Music Vault server. After going through all the steps to pay and impliment, the MC20 will not recognize my music files that were installed in the MC18 version. They are still tere when I switch back to the 18 version but I'm unsure how to make the new version recognize them. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing. I did search but couldn't find a difinative answer.
                                           Thanks,
                                                        Markus

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC20 download
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:36:03 am »

You can make a backup from MC18 and restore it in MC20.

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 12:47:21 pm »

ipad remote does not work with the MC20 either. Can I get a refund? This update is useless to me for what I use the server for. I'm not sure how to back up my library from MC18 and then transfer to MC20 and then fix the ipad remote problem. I'm surprised!! I have really loved the JRiver sound

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »

Run MC18

Use "File - Library - Back up Library"

Close MC18 Open MC20
Use "File - Library - Restore Library" and load the file from the previous step.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 01:47:58 pm »

Ken,
This does not work. I run backup library in MC18, shut down MC18, open MC20, hit Library restore and it indicates that it has been restored but there is nothing there. It says "Restore MC20 Library and settings" and I hit yes but because it's in MC20 mode. there is nothing to restore. Can I get a refund?

Markus

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 02:49:43 pm »

When you restore, you must run MC20 (make sure you have it installed) and you must find the backup you made from MC18.  I think you may be missing a step.

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 03:43:07 pm »

My library shows that MC20 is installed. I close it out and switch back to MC18. I go to files, Library, backup. It shows the back up is successful. I close out MC 18 and open up MC20. I go to file, library restore. It shows me the back ups that I downloaded. I select it and it says restore is complete but then when I hit audio files, there is nothing there. Could it be that I am somehow still running the trial version? I installed the code and it verified my license had been installed. How do I check to see if it's still the trial version. HELP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 03:47:45 pm »

Take a look at Help/About to find the version.

You're probably restoring the wrong backup.

It wouldn't matter if you were running the trial version.

Are you installing the right license?

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 04:18:30 pm »

I'm installing the license that you sent me yesterday when I purchased the upgrade. When I hit restore in the library section running MC20 it shows me 2  back up files that I have loaded from MC18. I've tried both of them and neither works. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 04:35:38 pm »

You have a Windows license.

Are you installing on Windows?

What version is it?  MC Help/About.

Here's the latest MC20 build:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91217.0

If so, and the library is blank (empty, no records), then the backup isn't good.  Double check its library before you back up again.  Back up to a known location and restore from that location.

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 04:36:15 pm »

Help/about shows me I'm running  version 20.0.10
I have backed up the library in MC18, switched to MC20, hit restore and it indicates it has been restored and then needs to shut down. It shuts down, comes back up and nothing is there. I have tried everything and it just simply does not work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 04:38:30 pm »

I close out MC 18 and open up MC20. I go to file, library restore. It shows me the back ups that I downloaded.
What do you mean by "that I downloaded"?  The backups you made?  Or are you talking about two different machines?

The backup doesn't include the media itself.  It is only the MC database and settings.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 04:40:19 pm »

...hit restore and it indicates it has been restored and then needs to shut down.
Are you confusing the license restore with the restore of the backup?

What happens when you say "needs to shut down"?  Please provide more details.  Is the program just quitting/crashing?

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 04:43:16 pm »

It's a windows 7 version that came with the Music Vault machine I purchased. I've never had any troubles downloading or burning or anything that would suggest a problem. It runs the Chrome browser.  I'm disappointed because I really like JRiver

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 04:52:12 pm »

Why don't you install on another machine, if you have one, to see what happens.

Please take the time to explain exactly what you've done and exactly what happens.  It's hard to help if you don't answer the questions clearly.

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2014, 05:35:57 pm »

I'm sorry, I will try to be clearer in my explanations

I was running MC18 that came with the Music Vault machine I purchased from a company called Sound Science. It also has Windows 7 and a Chrome browser installed as purchased. MC18 worked absolutely wonderful and I never had a minutes problem with anything.

I then noticed that there was an upgrade available to the MC20 version. Knowing how well I liked MC18, I selected the purchase, through the Music Vault machine. I paid got the code and license and installed it. I immediately noticed that my music library was not present in the new version.  MC20. Per your instructions, I went back into the MC18 revision, hit files, library, backup and it showed me that the library had been backed up and where it was. I then closed MC18 and opened up MC20. I hit files, library, restore. It showed me the files that were previously backed up from MC18. I selected one of the 2 backup files that were listed (I've tried both)  and hit restore. After a short time it indicated that the restore was complete but that the program needed to reboot to install the changes. I selected okay, the program shut down momentarily and then came back up. There were no music files there, nothing. Now, one thing that I left out here is that when switching from MC18 to MC20 the computer asks you if you want to allow MC18 or MC20  to change settings on your computer. I selected yes in all cases and moved on. What am I doing wrong here. Maybe my music files aren't part of the library??? I don't know

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2014, 05:43:06 pm »

If you run MC18 does it still show all your music files?
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 05:55:54 pm »

Yes, everything in MC18 is all there and runs great.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 06:05:03 pm »

Maybe my music files aren't part of the library??? I don't know
The details help.  Thanks.  No, the music files themselves are not part of the backup.

Are you using the same machine all the time?  Or are there two machines?

After restoring, do you see a lot of albums with a red x in the corner? 

You could read the topic on our wiki called "Moving Files". 

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 06:46:18 pm »

I do all the downloading and music files stuff from the Music Vault server BUT,  internet is connected to the server by an Airport Express wireless set up from my office  desktop. Could that be the culprit?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 06:58:12 pm »

I don't think so.  Did you read the topic on moving files?

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 09:12:35 pm »

I just think it's wierd to have to move major files to an upgrade. Can I get a refund. I have purchased something that will not work in my system and you do not offer a viable fix. I do not think I am being unrealistic here, just wanting to get what I paid for.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 01:18:37 am »

When you restored your library from the backup in MC20, did you also select to restore your settings by checking the box?

Is this a case where you are used to seeing the "audio" section when starting up MC and now it starts up in a different section like "start?"

How do you normally navigate MC? Do you use playlists at all?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 01:53:12 am »

I just think it's wierd to have to move major files to an upgrade. Can I get a refund. I have purchased something that will not work in my system and you do not offer a viable fix. I do not think I am being unrealistic here, just wanting to get what I paid for.

We offer a unrestricted 30 day trial to try MC for a full month without any limitations before you buy, so you can test if it works for you long before you have to purchase.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 07:25:47 am »

See thats it, The trial period worked fine for me. My music library was there and everything sounded great but once I hit the purchase button it all stopped and now there is nothing. Yes, I did check the boxes to have the settings also transfered but it does not work. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 08:04:16 am »

Did you try soundscience, the manufacturer of Music Vault? 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 08:05:45 am »

After restoring, do you see a lot of albums with a red x in the corner? 
Could you answer this question?

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 09:00:25 am »

No, I have not tried Soundscience to fix the problem. He just had both knee's replaced and is in the hospital.

markus1299

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 09:04:38 am »

Even though we haven't fixed the problem, I want to thank you for your help and attention to this matter. I believe we will weed this out and find the button I didn't push or the box I didn't check. I'll just keep at it and something will show up. I like the sound too much to give up. We will get there.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 04:35:27 pm »

Do you have a remote desktop program set up, like TeamViewer, Logmein or Splashtop? The last resort may be for someone to log in and take a look at how you're trying to get things working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up