INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename, Move & Copy Files Does not honor case changes to folders  (Read 3908 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Rename, Move & Copy Files Does not honor case changes to folders
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:28:45 am »

Morning,

I use RM&C - a lot. And have noticed a strange issue when cleaning up folder structures etc after my general tagging is complete.

In MC 19/20 I have a specific Staging area on my drive which is the central spot for all things tagging. Today I brought in a new rip of the album from FKA Twigs. When ripped (in dbPoweramp) the files were laid down into my staging area using this specific "case":

Fka Twigs\Lp1\Track 1
Fka Twigs\Lp1\Track 2
Fka Twigs\Lp1\Track 3

etc etc.

Now when I read this structure into MC 19 (and presumably 20) - I want to correct the Artist, Album Artist and Album to read in the proper case which is "upper". So I apply FKA Twigs to Artist and Album Artist and change the album title from Lp1 to LP1.

Then I want to use RM&C to "write" the case changes to the actual folders so it's correct when I send these files out to the server. When I right click on the files and choose RM&C - the RM&C window shows me that the folder case has indeed changed and clearly shows these changes ready to be done on the right side of the window. (see attachment)

Yet when I click Ok and let RM&C do it's thing - the case of the folders is not changed out in Explorer. The folder names remain in original lower case. See other attachment.

Bug? By Design? Windows thing?

Appreciate an insight as to what is happening here.

Cheers,

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Rename, Move & Copy Files Does not honor case changes to folders
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:38:30 am »

We don't change the case of folders if we find the folder already existing.  Maybe we could, but I'm not sure.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:35:31 pm »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:37:07 pm »

We don't change the case of folders if we find the folder already existing.  Maybe we could, but I'm not sure.
I don't think we should do this, even if it is possible.

connersw

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 04:51:07 pm »

I don't think we should do this, even if it is possible.

Could you please explain why?  As was pointed out in the thread before it was split, this is a case of MC not doing exactly what it is supposed to do.  

The whole argument in the past with RM&C not moving Cover Art, logs, cues, etc is that MC cannot move those since it is not being explicitly asked to do exactly that.  Why is case preservation being treated differently?  

For the record, other programs, like Tag&Rename, honor case preservation.  In fact, for Rename Folder, you are given 4-options (lower, UPPER, Capitalize First Letter, and Capitalize first word).  You can switch back and forth between them, even on Folders that already exist, and Windows Explorer keeps the correct change.  

It seems like a bug to me that MC does not honor case preservation in Filename (path).

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 05:57:18 pm »

I think what's disturbing folks is that the change looks like it's going through in MC but it doesn't actually happen.  Maybe a warning that it won't work? As it is if you try to do this kind of rename, MC goes ahead with the rename as though it's doing it, but the change doesn't actually happen (as discussed in the split thread).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 06:16:57 pm »

This is one of those times when there isn't a good choice.

The Windows standard is no case sensitivity.

The UNIX/Linux standard is case sensitivity.

We could probably handle the difference better, but it's risky to make a big change.  People on Windows are used to typing upper or lower case to name or rename directories, and the result is the same: uppercase.  If we change this, I think we'll have many more support problems.

For now, please find your own solution.

connersw

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 06:45:34 pm »

The issue being discussed is not case sensitivity; it is case preservation.  The two do not have to be related.  

A system that is not case preserving has to be case insensitive.  However, a system that is case preserving, can be either case sensitive or insensitive.  

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:11:24 pm »

The issue being discussed is not case sensitivity; it is case preservation.  The two do not have to be related.

Correct. Media Center is not doing what it says it's going to do - plain and simple. If you guys have issues with Case sensitivity - that's for another day and another thread.

I simply want Media Center to properly name my files and folders per my exact specs. Nothing more and nothing less.

Right now - it's ignoring this issue completely.

VP

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »

Correct. Media Center is not doing what it says it's going to do - plain and simple. If you guys have issues with Case sensitivity - that's for another day and another thread.

I simply want Media Center to properly name my files and folders per my exact specs. Nothing more and nothing less.

Right now - it's ignoring this issue completely.

VP

+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up