INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA: Can I advertise multiple libraries simultaneously?  (Read 3773 times)

RHMMMM

• Recent member
DLNA: Can I advertise multiple libraries simultaneously?
« on: September 13, 2014, 08:02:26 pm »

I have two separate libraries, one for Redbook audio, the other for Hi-Rez PCM and DSD.  I'd like to make both available at the same time to DLNA clients and keep the libraries separate.

I know you can open two instances of JRiver and have two different libraries loaded at the same time, but it doesn't appear that this works for DLNA - only one is served up to the network.

I know there are ways of filtering and so forth if I lumped both libraries together, but I'd rather not go down that route.  Two libraries work better for me.

How can I accomplish this?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA: Can I advertise multiple libraries simultaneously?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:43:01 am »

I think that DLNA will only server the current library.

You might find another way to do this though.  Why do you want to keep them separate?

Are you playing from the "clients" or playing to them? 

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 10:18:26 am »

You should keep one library for all your files, and use library views to filter them.

A "Redbook Audio" view would specify that the files in the view could only use a [Sample Rate] equal to 44100 Hz for example - though I personally don't find this useful.
I now have many albums which only exist in high res, and so I would rather that Media Center downsample them if necessary, so that they are accessible on all devices rather than only being available on the high-res ones.

You can run multiple DLNA servers off the same library (Tools → Options → Media Network → Add or configure DLNA servers…) each of which can be assigned to a specific client device (or devices) and each server can have their own set of library views.

This way the high-res capable devices would receive the full resolution tracks, and other devices have full access to the library, with high res tracks being downsampled.

RHMMMM

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:04:55 pm »

I think that DLNA will only server the current library.

You might find another way to do this though.  Why do you want to keep them separate?

Are you playing from the "clients" or playing to them?  

Why do people separate anything?  To make a distinction.  My 16/44 library is very clean and organized. My high Rez library is the Wild Wild west.  I do not want the two commingled.  At all.

I am playing from the clients, as it should be. My machine running JRiver is virtualized, on a noisy Dell enterprise server, in my basement, behind closed doors.  It is rarely touched.  I use the app via RDP to organize and import files into the library now and then. The player devices are Olive ONE, an Auralic Aries, sometimes JRemote on an iPad, and a Sonos which scans the SMB share and it only cares about tags. Again, separation is vital.  JRiver is a versatile management interface and an (OK) back end to serve up this stuff, but could still use a lot improvement if you consider that more and more of your customers do not actually sit in front of their computers to use it.  

Additionally, I have different devices which have (or don't have) limitations.  I want to know exactly what type of media I am streaming and I do not want any transcoding. Either it plays full fidelity or not at all.  I don't even want to see it if it is not playing at native resolution.  You guys claim to understand the audiophile community.  On the JRiver homepage, the saying under the Audio section is "If perfect audio is your goal..."  Well, transcoding is not perfect. Transcoding is gross and a bastardization of the original.  I won't have it.

If multiple library DLNA hosting from one instance is not possible (doesn't sound like it is without running another VM with another instance of JRiver), 6233638 mentions the ability to create views based on Sample Rate. I have "hi-Rez" albums that are 24/44.1, so just filtering based on Sample Rate alone is insufficient.  Can I have multiple filters on these library views?

Oh, and if I should be keeping only one library, and that is the way it should be done, then you need to talk to your UX folks and remove the option for multiple library management. The existence of the feature implies I should be able to do more with it than is possible.

Additionally, can we make what I'm asking for here a feature request, please?  I was very much hoping MC20 would include a more mature feature set. I still am not realizing any difference between 19 and 20 other than a lighter wallet...

Or hell, make something better for only audio management and audio servers.  With a better user interface or a client/server architecture. Call it "Platinum," charge us $99 for it and make it exclusive. You'll have people busting down your doors to get it. I am serious.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:43:29 pm »

I have "hi-Rez" albums that are 24/44.1, so just filtering based on Sample Rate alone is insufficient.  Can I have multiple filters on these library views?

Sounds like you really don't understand the power of the program. If your Hi-Rez albums are in a different location than your other files, you could base the starting point of a View filtered on location. Could be a Drive, Folder or network Share. You can apply multiple filters on a view, that is one of the great strengths of the program. If it doesn't contain a filed you want to filter with, you can make one. You could make a field called My Hi-Rez and bulk tag all your Hi-Rez music with a 1 in that field. Then you could base a View on "My Hi-Rez = 1", only those files tagged with a 1 would show up. A million possibilities. I have a few custom fields made to display files exactly the way I want them viewed. If you learn the program I am sure it will produce results you are happy with.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 03:29:03 am »

If multiple library DLNA hosting from one instance is not possible (doesn't sound like it is without running another VM with another instance of JRiver), 6233638 mentions the ability to create views based on Sample Rate. I have "hi-Rez" albums that are 24/44.1, so just filtering based on Sample Rate alone is insufficient.  Can I have multiple filters on these library views?
Yes, you can filter by anything you like.

Additionally, can we make what I'm asking for here a feature request, please?  I was very much hoping MC20 would include a more mature feature set. I still am not realizing any difference between 19 and 20 other than a lighter wallet...
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90659.0

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 08:02:32 am »

[rant]sorry I wake up and read this post and it messes up my day. Why this kind of reaction? Would you be less sensitive if instead of "You should keep one library ..."  In my humble opinion, may I suggest you only use one library and filter your music by views?  ::) or maybe you can respond to "You might find another way to do this though.  Why do you want to keep them separate?" (note: just inventing possible responses) "Oh I'm trying to get around the limitations of Sonos because ...." or "I just bought the Aurilac Aries that just was released in April and thought multiple libraries ..."

Instead you put things in bold like gamers capitalize things on World of Warcraft forum? Then you tell people what they should be doing like 50 bucks per head is going to make things seamlessly work with Sonos, Aurilac, and every possible DLNA/UPnP devices that exists

Seriously, guy - no one was being aggressive or patronizing, and other than owner of the company personally trying to help, do you actually  think people are getting paid to respond to your post  ::) [/rant]

Hmm ok sorry about that I apologize, I have been having a very bad week.

Now where were we ...

Yes could you try following Ken and 638's advice to create filtered views and, potentially explore creating separate zones and applying zone switch rules.
you can read more on that here ... http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones
Pages: [1]   Go Up