INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20.0.17 Freezing often  (Read 4231 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
MC 20.0.17 Freezing often
« on: September 20, 2014, 05:29:53 pm »

I seem to be having freezes quite often for MC20.0.17  (Had same with 0.16 as well)  By often I mean once or twice per hour both while working with MC (Tagging, moving etc) and also just playing music.

There does not seem to be any error message or anything.  Just locks up. (See screen shot)

Running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit with all updates.  I7-940, 12GB RAM  Lots of Hard drive space.   Music on Synology DS1512+ NAS server.

http://aid.jct.ca/jriver/MC20.0.17_Freeze.jpg

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 20.0.17 Freezing often
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 05:38:14 pm »

Try playing local files for a while to rule out a problem with the NAS.

MC has logging under Help.  Look at the tail of the log for clues.

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:46:50 pm »

Try playing local files for a while to rule out a problem with the NAS.

MC has logging under Help.  Look at the tail of the log for clues.

NAS is the same as it has always been.  The only changes are updating to 20.0.16 and then 20.0.17. 
I have turned on logging.  Where do I find the log file the next time it crashes?

also on a side note is there a reason my screen shot above is not shown in line?  Too big maybe for the forum?

Thanks.

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 05:48:57 pm »

Too big and made it difficult to read the post.

Try local files to rule out the NAS.  I know it worked before.

Read about logging on the wiki or just try it.

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 05:55:10 pm »

Too big and made it difficult to read the post.

Try local files to rule out the NAS.  I know it worked before.

Read about logging on the wiki or just try it.

Sorry Jim.  I don't have time to drag 2 hours worth of FLAC files over to my local computer.  I'm not sure what that would prove anyways that JRiver no longer likes my NAS?  If need be I will go back to 20.0.10 and wait for a stable release.

As I said I have turned on logging.  Just wanted to know where to find the log file.

Thanks.

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 06:18:11 pm »

JRiver can't like or dislike the NAS.  MC talks to the OS.

Drag a few files over and play them in continuous mode.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 06:25:16 pm »

Help > Logging > Report Problem

It shows the path to the log file after you click "Report Problem". My log files are created on the desktop. You can then e-mail them.

Neither the wiki nor the "Report Problem" show where to e-mail the log file. I think it is logs at JRiver dot com.

You only need to copy a couple files to the local computer to test. Set Playing Now to repeat. Let them play for an hour or so and see if JRiver locks up.

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 03:52:13 pm »

I have a lot of freezing happening as well. My log files only contain system info however ...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 04:21:17 pm »

NAS drive?  Or are the files local?  What kind of files?

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 04:30:04 pm »

It actually doesn't need to be playing files at all. Oddly, MC will freeze playing local audio files (for example) and the music will go on, following the playlist order while the application lies unresponsive. It will show the Album Cover of the last album before it froze

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:00:58 pm »

Check to see if there is an error message or other window open behind the main window.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 01:13:43 pm »

It actually doesn't need to be playing files at all. Oddly, MC will freeze playing local audio files (for example) and the music will go on, following the playlist order while the application lies unresponsive. It will show the Album Cover of the last album before it froze
If the MC "web engine" is set to Chromium, try changing it to Internet Explorer.

About half dozen people had your symptoms and fixed it by doing so (best guess was that MC was trying to download a Chromium component).

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 01:33:26 pm »

Done! Will report results later on

kstuart

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 01:42:39 pm »

Done! Will report results later on
Please do so - as so far, the number of people having the problem was not quite been enough for time to be spent on finding the exact problem.

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:27 am »

Well ... so far it seems to have solved the issue. Sounded like a voodoo cure, but I have to thank you!

kstuart

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 01:52:22 pm »

At this point, I think somewhere between 6-10 people have experienced freezing that is fixed by changing the web engine from Chromium to Internet Explorer.

Some months ago, someone theorized that it was freezing because it was trying to download Chromium components.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 02:12:52 pm »

Some months ago, someone theorized that it was freezing because it was trying to download Chromium components.

It's strange because I erase my Chromium components so it has to redownload, and there's no problem.  A mystery.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 08:21:47 pm »

I get at least 1-2 MC20 crashes per day.  Sometimes the pgm just stops accepting any input, but continues to play.  Other times the pgm just ends without any warning or notices.

I have not added any new software or hardware to my system.  A crash with v19 was a very very rare occurrence.

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 12:38:26 pm »

I have not been able to run v20 for more than a couple of minutes without crashing.  I try each new release with the same result.  I've resorted to using 19 which works fine in every aspect.

I also cannot use ASIO with v20:  Not the DAC driver, nor the JRiver driver nor "allasio" package.  The software responds with the standard message to try and config options correctly.  I can get the player to work using WASAPI, but with the frequency of v20 crashes, it is not of much value.

Since v19 works fine, what is it that 20 may not like?

Regards,

LarryRup
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 01:43:14 pm »

I don't think there is a general problem in MC that could cause this.

Please see the "weird problems" thread in my signature.

Antivirus programs are a common cause of similar problems.  There is a link at the top of the thread I mentioned.

Arindelle

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 02:01:25 pm »

you know I have been having a lot of freezing too lately, but only since I started using more video in theatre view, I have no problems running in standard view at all ... are you guys issues theatre view related, video or video tagging when you get a freeze?

I've just chalked it up to me trying to learn (and failing) Regex, but if others are experiencing freezes in theater mode, video, or video tagging I'd be interested in knowing ... I have been able to beat the freeze in Theater Mode by opening win task manager without stopping the program or processes it seems to unstick it

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 02:18:18 pm »

Next time it happens, see if you can find an error window behind the display.  Get a log if you can.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 07:44:58 pm »

I'm finding MC20 to be quite stable on several different machines configured differently on each of them.  MC19 was too, for that matter.

But there is one situation that has shown up several times which seems to cause it to crash (sometimes including the server, sometimes only MC GUI).   On my main audio system MC Server starts on boot and stays up as long as the system is up (days).  No problems there.  But if I leave the GUI up for a couple of days (sometimes just one) without any audio playback activity, when I come in in the morning, hit ctrl to wake up the screen (system is up always), and then subsequently try to play something in MC (not necessarily right away), it will crash almost immediately before actually playing anything.  Simply re-running the GUI resumes like nothing happened and everything plays fine the rest of the day.

It's always that pattern when it happens, but it doesn't always happen.  It will happen even if the GUI is minimized (ctrl-2).  I'm currently using vers 17, but has randomly done this for the last few versions.

--Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up