INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo cache problem  (Read 1958 times)

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
Gizmo cache problem
« on: October 07, 2014, 06:28:04 pm »

I started having trouble with the Gizmo cache function sometime this past summer (or at least that's the first time I noticed it; I'd been playing mostly local files the last couple of years), and since I'm streaming more with my Samsung Galaxy S3 these days, it's getting annoying, especially with Sprint's drop-outs outside of town.  It used to work fine as far as I can remember, even up to 320 kbs and 10 tracks, but now caching doesn't work on my home network or on 3g/4g, at any bitrate or any number of tracks (1, 5, or 10).  What happens is that Gizmo will hang on "Preparing" for a looooooong time (I've let it go overnight, just to test; and it still said "Preparing" on the same track in the morning).  I can stream from Gizmo fine with caching disabled, but then as I said above, I get those annoying drop-outs.  MC is the latest build of version 20, and Gizmo is likewise in its latest version.  Any ideas? Any logs I can send in? I'm stumped.   

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Gizmo cache problem
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:16:57 pm »

Any ideas on this issue? Just thought I'd ask again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 01:32:49 pm »

There was a recent change in Android that could affect this.  If I recall correctly, apps can only write to directories they have created.  It's a security thing.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »

Thanks, Jim.

Is there any way to test if I have such a device? I have a (rooted) Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.4.2.  Anyone out there know if this phone/Android version might cause caching to hang indefinitely with Gizmo? Thanks again!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 12:10:06 am »

I'm not sure about this. I'm using Android 4.4.3, and using Gizmo over 3G daily.

The cache is stored in a folder that Gizmo creates, at: "/Internal storage/Android/data/jriver.mediacenter.android/files/Music/v1 - Medium/[artist]/[album]/track.mp3"

My next question's a beauty that'll have Jim kicking himself for not asking...
"Do you have any security apps running on your phone?"

I ask only because I recently tried out ESET's offerring as I have used their desktop AV for years, and while it was never installed long enough for me to try it with Gizmo, it was there long enough for me feel both the slowdown on the phone, and the battery drain. I removed it.

I think there is much cash for the AV vendors in the mobile market, and more and more people will buy into it.

Is there anything being downloaded into the folder path I've indicated above?
I don't know if it matters or not, but I have an SD card and mine are being stored in the internal memory, not the SD card. Did you try forcing the files to the SD card at all?

Other than the above, I can't think of any other potential causes.

-marko

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:20:39 pm »

Thanks, marko.  Haven't had a chance to test any of your suggestions yet, but I will soon and report back here.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 12:35:55 am »

No problem...
This...
I don't know if it matters or not, but I have an SD card and mine are being stored in the internal memory, not the SD card. Did you try forcing the files to the SD card at all?
Reads like I might be suggesting that you try to get the cache files onto the SD card. I am not. I am aware that there are apps out there that attempt to force other apps to put their stuff on the SD card thus saving internal storage and I wondered if perhaps you had tried to do that, and if you had, maybe that was causing problems.

-marko

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 06:28:00 pm »

Finally got my cache problem solved.  I didn't have any luck with Marko's suggestions, but I ran into another problem with the Audible (Amazon's audio book) app not being able to create a folder to access to its own cloud library on my phone (or something like this).  After Googleing the error message I was taken to this page

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=56783031#post56783031

and the solution given there, at the bottom, to install Folder Mount (root), not only helped Audible work properly, but the fix the new app provided also made the caching function in Gizmo work again, at least on WiFi (I'll check 3g/4g tomorrow when I'm out)!!!  Basically the program error checks and then repairs (if you want it to), and after a reboot, all's well. 

Here's the Google Play Store link to FolderMount (root), in case anyone else has a similar problem:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devasque.fmount&hl=en

Thanks for everyone's help!

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:28:01 am »

Just another update: Gizmo now caches on 3g/4g too, after the fix given by the program noted above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up