INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20 constantly crashing when recording TV (MC19 is Fine) [Solved]  (Read 6910 times)

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen

Matt

Since the last few builds i am having issues with MC20 crashing randomly on me. It does seem to happen more often when using tuners as well as watching recorded TV
Log file emailed to usual address.. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

DoubtingThomas

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 20 constantly crashing randomly
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 10:29:52 am »

MC20 crashes on me about once a day, usually on a track change.  MC just terminates  with no error message.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 10:36:04 am »

For both things, please use and follow and report:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide

For daveyravey, I suspect you might be right that it has to do with the PVR functions.  I've seen some crashes there as I've played with those features lately too.

For DoubtingThomas's issue, however, you shouldn't be seeing that (it never happens to me).

For both... It isn't going to get fixed without ruling out some possibilities on your end, and then posting logs of the crashes (with the crash dumps) so that it can be investigated and reproduced.  As explained in the guide, the best way to accomplish this is to post a thread that completely describes your issue in detail, lists what steps on your end you've taken to rule out things like AV interference and misconfiguration, and then include links to the Log packages.  Without that... Blindly emailing them to JRiver and saying "here's a log of a random crash I got" is not going to succeed.

For the record, I have a copy of MC20 now running our video wall here at work, and it runs 24/7 without crashes, playing a video playlist in a loop, and aside from occasionally shutting it down to apply a new build, it NEVER crashes.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 11:32:38 am »

yup if im not recording or watching live tv everything is ok no crashes. I did notice today that one of my tuners came up with an error (with a hex error code) in MC20 it then defaulted to the other tuner.
Im assuming this is because there are lots of changes happening in the background to improve PVR functionality?

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 11:56:11 am »

just so maybe we can compare, I haven't had a crash for a while, and I use MC only for TV.  I record a ton of TV, and haven't really had a problem.

My main server is an Intel i3 Haswell (refresh), 8 GB of RAM, running Win 8.1 x64.

My client (used only to watch live TV, or recorded TV) is AMD based with an AMD HD6570 GPU, 8 GB of RAM, also running Win 8.1 x64.

On both, I use the built in Windows AntiVirus. 

I use 2 HDHomeRuns (OTA tuner), and 1 HDHomeRun Prime tuner.

Oh, I am recording to a USB3 external drive...thought it might cause issues, but so far, no issues with that either.

mm0

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 12:02:41 pm »

yup if im not recording or watching live tv everything is ok no crashes. I did notice today that one of my tuners came up with an error (with a hex error code) in MC20 it then defaulted to the other tuner.
Did you check for an updated driver for the device?

What is the tuner?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 12:32:13 pm »

tuner is up to date with driver. Mc19 works fine.  the tuner is

http://www.dvbsky.net/Products_S952V3.html

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 12:35:47 pm »

jim i have mailed a log file over

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 03:51:25 pm »

For DoubtingThomas's issue, however, you shouldn't be seeing that (it never happens to me).

For both... It isn't going to get fixed without ruling out some possibilities on your end, and then posting logs of the crashes (with the crash dumps) so that it can be investigated and reproduced.  As explained in the guide, the best way to accomplish this is to post a thread that completely describes your issue in detail, lists what steps on your end you've taken to rule out things like AV interference and misconfiguration, and then include links to the Log packages.  Without that... Blindly emailing them to JRiver and saying "here's a log of a random crash I got" is not going to succeed.

Well I know I never had any crashes with v19... and I have "blindly" mailed logs crash files...  I do see "unhandled exception" in the previous log file and from what I can tell... MC20 goes through a shutdown routine.  The crash dump file is binary so I can't read it.  Other than Windows updates, I have not added any new software or hardware to my system.

I generally start MC20 in the morning and don't shut it down till after dark.  I suspect I am a heavy user (audio only).  If I multiply the track time by the number of plays in my library, I've played MediaCenter over 828 days since starting with MJ8.  All music files are on local discs.   I do have a DSP preset for every track.

In my case... all I can say it the crash always happens on track change, sometimes within the same album (which rules out format changes).  Most times MC20 just terminates without warning or error messages.  Sometime MC20 continues to play but the pgm is locked up and must be shutdown.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 03:34:28 am »

My main server is an Intel i5 Haswell 8 GB of RAM,  Nvidia graphics card Geforce 700 running Win 8.1 x64 all updates all latest drivers

My client (used only to watch live TV, or recorded TV) isa surface pro 3

I use 2 tuners one T2 tuner for fta and one S2 satellite tuner - Link to tuner type here 

the S2 tuner is

http://www.dvbsky.net/Products_S952.html

and the T2 tuner is

http://www.dvbsky.net/Products_T982.html

I have grouped all channels so they use both tuners for tv viewing/recording

I have 2 2 Tb hard drives one for recording TV the other for storing local music,movies etc

All i can say is running Mc20 as it stands causes loads of crashes especially on the S2 tuner

I have now gone back to MC19 and all is ok no crashes no problems......

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 12:11:00 pm »

Anyone got any ideas on this one? I have gone back to MC19 and haven't had a crash once!  any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 12:12:19 pm »

Antivirus

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC 20 constantly crashing when recording TV (MC19 is Fine)
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 12:46:48 pm »

You can try this:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Taming_Windows_Defender

Remember, since MC20 is a separate application from MC19, if you excluded it once long ago, you'll need to do it again for the new version.

Might not help, but might, and worth a shot.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 12:49:14 pm »

I also moved this to the TV board as it does seem to be related to the tuner, so we'd want Yaobing to take a look at it.  If you can, collect another crash log and post a link within this thread.

You can use WikiSend to make a public link to the ZIP file, if you don't have something like Dropbox.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 12:50:17 pm »

MC20 crashes on me about once a day, usually on a track change.  MC just terminates  with no error message.

Your issue is unrelated to this one.  Please make a separate thread for your issue.  Thanks.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 03:10:25 pm »

http://wikisend.com/download/993724/JRiver%20Log%202014-10-10%2006-47-49.zip

In the file "Previous Log.txt", the last line is
General: JRWebApp::ExitInstance: Finishing

No indication of a crash, it just ended.  :(

A little before that is

General: CDXCore::Terminate: Start

So something seemed to cause the program to terminate, while two simultaneous TV recordings (in TS format) were going on.  The TV recording part of the program was not doing anything fancy other than writing audio video packets to disk.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 12:31:11 am »

I'll try and go back to latest build and try again! I will send o log if it happens again. Thanks

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 09:46:34 am »

davey, i had a similarly disasterous experience with MC20 and TV.. you should read the trouble MC20 software caused me ( i never tried MC TV before MC 20, as i had used WMC)  i finally gave up.

like you i believed the issue was/is related to PVR'ing, watching live, etc. likely all at once that causes conflicts. crashes, hangups, failures to end/close, etc..  i had set some time shifting thing to "always save" (thinking without any help or other manual from JRiver otherwise this was the best thing to do) and ended up with files over 40gb in size (i'm guessing the 4 hour time shift never properly shutoff). i got one response of change that setting to "save on stop" which is rather silly as it doesn't solve their problem (if that function doesn't work flawlessly it shouldn't be offered), etc. but i finally gave up and have gone back to WMC, at least i know what i get in that PVR. interesting that you have found MC 19 works flawlessly.... regards.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 05:35:28 pm »

Unfortunately, I too am getting crashes that don't seem to have any reason.  I just had media server running and I came back to a dialog box that said Media Center stopped working.  This happens every day in some form. I thought it might be because I've been trying new stuff, but when it happens when I'm not doing anything I have to believe there is a problem..

Do I need to send a log??? Also is there docs that would help me figure out the logs myself???

Thanks for any help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 07:21:54 pm »

Unfortunately, I too am getting crashes that don't seem to have any reason.

It isn't clear that your issue is related to the TV features in MC in any way.  Are you even using the recording functionality in MC?

It is generally just confusing (and makes it more difficult for the poor original poster to get valuable help) if threads get all cross-contaminated with unrelated issues.  If you aren't reasonably sure this is related to usage of the TV recording features in MC20, please read and follow:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 07:32:48 pm »

http://wikisend.com/download/993724/JRiver%20Log%202014-10-10%2006-47-49.zip

Yeah... Unfortunately, that log package doesn't contain a crash dump.

One thing I should be sure to mention.  A hang is NOT the same thing as a crash.  If MC is frozen, and you click on it and you get the Windows "this application is not responding" message (and the UI goes "gray") then MC is not crashed.  It might be stuck, or it might just be busy, or you could have a modal dialog open somewhere so the main UI is just disabled until you deal with the other dialog (which is hidden underneath another window, perhaps).  When you click the End Task button, then Windows forcibly closes the application, and then the log package won't contain a crash dump, as it doesn't in your Log.

Whenever possible, it is best to wait until MC "unsticks" if it is in this state (even if only for a minute), because then the log will more likely contain the details of which threads are stuck and running very slowly.  If you wait a long, long time, and MC never unfreezes, then it can be a race condition where multiple threads are waiting for each other in a loop.  These are cruddy to try to diagnose, unfortunately.  But, we'll need that kind of information.  Chasing a crash is different than chasing a race condition or stuck thread.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 12:37:57 am »

As i have been running MC19 for a week now with only 1 crash all week i think its obvious that there is a problem with MC20. Since a new build has popped up i will have a go at installing MC20 and rebuilding my library from scratch using all default settings and see how i get on with PVR.
Glynor is assume its safe to install 2 versions of MC on the same machine. IF Mc20 is still causing me issues i would like to just immediately go back to MC19.

Also any suggestions from you guys on a default set up which works for you? With tuners?

regards

Dave

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 02:09:33 am »

Just to give you some hope, I change from MC19 to MC20.0.17 when it came out and haven't had any crashes. In fact I don't specifically remember the last crash I had in any version, although I have had a few some time back.

Follow Glynor's advice. Work through the troubleshooting, and some cause will be found.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 01:57:14 am »

found the problem. For some reason MC20 doesnt like my S2 Tuner card. Taking that out of the PC stops MC crashing. Maybe its not longer supported? I will make do with my T2 dual tuner for now. Although its hardly ideal. I do wonder if its a problem with MC20 havinf 2 different types of tuner card T2 & S2 in my case.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 03:10:28 am »

It seems lots of people have multiple types of tuner cards installed and working, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Best to details which cards (both of them, brand, model, version, firmware version) you have for Yaobing to look into.

Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to upgrade the firmware and driver of the S2 Tuner card anyway, if they are available. You could also try moving the cards around into different slots in the PC to see if that makes a difference. Time consuming, but might provide a hint. Like maybe the card doesn't like a 16 lane PCIe slot, and it needs a slower 8 or 2 lane slot. Maybe there is a setting in your BIOS to determine the number of lanes used in the slot. Perhaps test with just the S2 card installed and not the T2. Maybe you could find a tool which would query the card parameters when it is installed. What about resource sharing and conflicts when both cards are installed? What about the Windows event log, anything there?

There are always ways to track down problems like this, if you have time.

It's a pity you can't get a crash dump of the problem.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 03:19:13 am »

found the problem. For some reason MC20 doesnt like by S2 Tuner card. Taking that out of the PC stops MC crashing. Maybe its not longer supported? I will make do with my T2 dual tuner for now. Although its hardly ideal. I do wonder if its a problem with MC20 havinf 2 different types of tuner card T2 & S2 in my case.
That is probably just a driver problem.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 08:31:58 am »

I may just swap out the card for a different type S2 card and see what happens. Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 01:32:37 pm »

One other thing...

My Hauppauge 2250 went bad, physically, and started to make SageTV (and MC, when I tested it) crash when it was used.  Just happened all the sudden.  Didn't realize it was a physical problem until it started to also bluescreen occasionally, and I started to dig into the nightmare world that is bluescreen diagnosis and discovered it was the tuner card itself.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 05:35:34 pm »

yup i think this may be the problem. No issues now with one tuner card recieving T2 signals....

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC 20 constantly crashing when recording TV (MC19 is Fine) [Solved]
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 06:02:52 pm »

Well so i thought it was a tuner issue it obviously isnt. I have just installed a new tbs s2 tuner and the crashes have started again....

Yaobing please can you have a look and see what is my problem. The new tuner i have installed is a DVb-s2 TBS 6982   http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6982-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-pcie-card.html

I have been running for nearly 2 weeks now with just one T2 tuner and since i have installed a S2 tuner things have gone horribly wrong!!!

Same problem as before random crashes during recording and playback............something is a miss.........Is it something to do with grouping channels Yaobing?

To make matters worse i installed Windows media center and used both tuners and did not have any crashes whatsoever.

crash log link

http://wikisend.com/download/518438/JRiver%20Log%202014-10-31%2022-51-30.zip

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 08:08:28 pm »

Does crash occur if you use jtv for recording?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 02:26:47 am »

no i am using ts format for recording

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2014, 02:28:04 am »

it appeared to crash when calling another tuner to start to record a programme while i was watching something else. Like i said this literally started as soon as i installed the new S2 card which was the original problem i had.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 03:15:31 am »

Yaobing

Not sure if this will help. I just manually started a recording from the guide then started another recording from the guide and 2nd recording caused MC to crash. I a running ts mode and like i said before i have 2 dual tuners 1 tuner is T2 and the other is S2. I have grouped all the channels. If i enable only one tuner everything is happy!

Log link below

http://wikisend.com/download/488508/JRiver%20Log%202014-11-01%2008-09-20.zip

regards

Dave

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 01:26:56 pm »

Yaobing

Did you manage to look at my problem with 2 tuners? Any thing else I can send to help find the issue?

Thanks

Dave

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 01:36:22 pm »

I am still sifting through your latest log. 

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 07:00:08 pm »

no i am using ts format for recording

Are you saying it would not crash if you use jtv, or you just never tried using jtv?  I am trying to see if I can narrow it down to TS recording.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 12:39:01 am »

i have never used jtv i always use ts format.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 08:44:23 am »

Are you willing to try to record in jtv for a few days, just to see if MC also crashes?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 12:26:48 pm »

Yes I will try that then. I will keep you posted. I wont be able to do it until, later in the week as I am away at the moment. Thanks for the response

As usual fantastic support from the jriver team !

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 12:29:32 pm »

Your crash dump on October 31 seems to indicate a crash inside Media Center, but we are still not able to determine what was going on.

The one on November 1 seems to have crashed in a NVidia dll.  Before the crash, you played a DVB-S channel (without recording), and stopped it.  Then you started recording another DVB-S channel.  MC loaded the same tuner as the one it used for live playback.  Just as recording had started, the program crashed.  No simultaneous recordings were done.  Only one of the two DVB-S tuners was used.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2014, 01:38:24 pm »

I assume you still want me to change to jtv and see what happens ?  there are updated NVIDIA drivers but to be honest using just one tuner isn't causing me any problems so I don't think its a NVIDIA issue

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2014, 01:39:06 pm »

dave,

if your HTPC is used as a media server i suggest "unchecking" that capability to see what happens.  as you are aware i have been having really bad problems and had given up on JRiver, over the weekend i was watching a OTA show on a laptop and it was perfect, but it doesn't act as media server.  gave me the idea to uncheck that in the HTPC and guess what no more hanging, no more crashing, no more me cursing at JRiver, etc. i just added the laptop as a media server (HTPC still unchecked) and so far so good, but not PVR'ing with it. but very "odd" that stopping it as a media server stopped the crashes and hanging and ....

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 02:20:44 pm »

The problem I have seems related to dual tuner set up. At the moment using just one tuner is absolutely fine .  MC20 is pretty stable however as soon as I add in another tuner card of a different type ( in my case an S2 tuner) it all goes horribly wrong, crashes hangs etc....
 Yaobing is actively trying to find a solution.....

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2014, 02:33:39 pm »

Please still try jtv recording.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »

This is an interesting thread.  I have a problem with MC19 build 134 hanging - intermittently - during a recording.  Since the PC that I dedicated to DVR use has many miles on it, I assumed it was a hardware problem.

However, I am going to try the following suggestions from this thread, in order:

* Turn off Media Server
* Remove second Hauppauge card
* Restore first Hauppauge card and remove second one

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2014, 12:38:50 am »

Yaobing

As requested i hace change recording to jtv and now for 2 days no more crashes or hangs. I will continue to monitor but it does seem  that the crashes as you thought are caused by ts recording.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2014, 06:26:33 am »

Try doing a lot of loading and unloading of TV tuners (i.e. watch, stop, watch again, and record multiple channels etc.)

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2014, 10:24:03 am »

i spoke to soon as soon as i did what you said it crashed

http://wikisend.com/download/191700/JRiver%20Log%202014-11-07%2016-19-32.zip

I started recording 4 channels then started live tv Mc20 asked to stop recording channel then it hung for a bit and finally crashed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up