INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running the server - now not updating with new files  (Read 1159 times)

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
Running the server - now not updating with new files
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:04:13 am »

Hi All,

I don't like but have got used to JRiver taking a while to acknowledge new content - sometimes up to 20 minutes.

I really wish there was a refresh button that could be applied to a folder whilst in Theater View ...

So, I have now got the server to run at Windows startup thinking that it would run quietly all the time and pickup new stuff.

However, now it is worse and JR refuses to show new content unless I go to normal view and auto import.

Is there a switch I haven't set?

Can I ask JR to auto import automatically?

Cheers.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Running the server - now not updating with new files
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 05:27:08 am »

Can I ask JR to auto import automatically?
I think so yes, if you mean force autoimport to run that is. Never tried honestly, but read this =>http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/The_Command_Line there is a core command option /import to run on start-up, so that shoudl do what you want.

Understand that autoimport is a low priority operation (with a lot of terabytes on a slow network, this takes time); setting to a high priority is probably not a good idea.

Frankly I never wait I just click Import manually -- I put a shortcut directly on the main menu bar of MC and click it; otherwise of course its File=>Library=>Import.

The only reasons I can see not forcing autoimport to run when you want it is for people who are recording TV when they are away (or downloading stuff that maybe they shouldn't be) and they want jriver to tag and analyze everything while they are away. couch potatoes have to compromise speed for the ability to be lazy  ;D For people who rip audio cds, I see no reason. You rip, you click import, you tag when you want to,  no big deal.

Analysis and looking up tv/movie info is slow (depending on set-up and hardware - on a network this can be painfully long). I do this later at my convenience by setting up a smartlist to see what still has not been done. Personally the auto tagging from internet is so often wrong you I'd be correcting it anyways - my opinion but hey I want speed so anything auto other than fixing broken links and external changes being re indexed, including rebuilding thumbnails or such, I do as a separate maintenance routine while I'm watching or listening to something in the background.

Just my opinions here of course  8)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 11:36:38 am »

There's a setting in options-->library & folders-->run auto import in the background.

I'm not clear on what your server setup is, but if you have a normal server/client setup make sure that box is checked on the server, not on the client; then check on the client under media network-->client options and make sure that "auto-sync with server" is checked.

If you're on a single PC, turning on the server widget with no client to connect to it doesn't really do anything; the server widget just makes sure that certain core MC functions are available when no JRiver window is open.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 12:37:11 pm »

There's a setting in options-->library & folders-->run auto import in the background.

I thought that he was already doing that, mw. And that it was slow, that might explain my answer. Single PC or NAS the "automatic" to me has always been when it gets around to it :) Might be fast, might take 30 minutes.

to the OP it does do it automatically, it just doesn't do it immediately. Which is what I have no patience for. Can't set up a short cut (refresh button though in theater view, but you can in Standard View.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 12:49:36 pm »

I thought that he was already doing that, mw. And that it was slow, that might explain my answer. Single PC or NAS the "automatic" to me has always been when it gets around to it :) Might be fast, might take 30 minutes.

to the OP it does do it automatically, it just doesn't do it immediately. Which is what I have no patience for. Can't set up a short cut (refresh button though in theater view, but you can in Standard View.

Sure, he just said that it was "refusing" to update until manually initiated with his new config and mentioned a server, so I thought it was worth suggesting he check and make sure he didn't detick the box by accident, and had his server setup correctly (if indeed he's even running a server)  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up