INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Security alert on latest trial version?  (Read 1421 times)

blakehaas

Security alert on latest trial version?
« on: October 19, 2014, 10:10:19 pm »

ive been thinking of switching from xbmc to jriver media center. I am on day 1 of 30 of the trial and I really like It except for 1 issue..

Every time I run jriver media center, after 30 seconds or so a security alert pops up. I've attempted to install the certificate many times but it keeps poping up. The date time is correct on this computer, so im not sure why its happening. I definitely cant purchase this product if I cant get rid of that popup. The certificate is for cybertrust public.

Any ideas?
Windows 8.1 , mc 20.0.21

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Security alert on latest trial version?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 11:15:42 pm »

The security alert is not coming from MC.  Please take a screenshot of this alert, and maybe we can figure out where it is coming from.  I have no idea what certificate you're talking about.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 01:56:00 am »

You don't have to install any certificates.  It's probably coming from Windows or from some security software you're running.  They make a lot of mistakes.

Be careful that you're not drawn into installing something else.  Malware can do tricky things.

blakehaas

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:43:22 am »

I fixed it by doing the following in IE:
Go to Tools> Internet Options> Advanced.
Under Security, uncheck the boxes "Check for publisher's revocation" and "Check for server certificate revocation".

The certificate was from server: a248.e.akami.net  which is a common caching server, usually not attributed to malware.

It was only showing up when I ran your software.

Issue resolved though for now.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 07:38:41 am »

Was it akami.net or akamai.net?

Akamai should not have outdated certificates. If it was akami.net it might have been a look-alike scam domain.

Also, I think the options "Check for publisher's revocation" and "Check for server certificate revocation" count for ALL certificates and not just the one that is causing you trouble.

Basically, you didn't fix the problem, you just prevented the message to appear rather than finding the real cause of the issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up