INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC on a linux NAS?  (Read 2259 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
MC on a linux NAS?
« on: October 25, 2014, 02:47:58 am »

Is running MC on a linux NAS even possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC on a linux NAS?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 03:19:36 am »

Not at this time unless you built your own.

raldo

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:59:28 am »

Is that because you require a certain distribution?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:42:12 am »

It's a big subject.  You might be able to do it, but it's not supported.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 10:55:13 am »

Is that because you require a certain distribution?

As I understand it, currently only Debian Wheezy is officially supported, but many of us are successfully running MC on other linux distros (I run it on Arch and Debian Jessie, many others run it on Ubuntu and Fedora, etc.).  So the distro isn't necessarily a hard bar.

Two rate-limiting factors to getting MC running on a commercial NAS is that MC requires certain CPU instruction sets that some lower powered NAS processors may not have, and MC relies on several libraries that may not be present/available on a commercial NAS build. See the first post of this thread for the basic requirements.  That info may be a little dated, but will give you an idea (I think there are some additional libs required in newer builds as well).

I don't know if any commercial pre-fab NAS boxes meet the hardware and software requirements.  As far as I know no one on the forum has gotten MC to run successfully on a pre-fab NAS yet.  There have been a few valiant efforts, but so far no success stories, see:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89981.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88990.0

If you have a computer with a processor that has the necessary instruction sets and you have full control over the software installed on it, you may be able to use it as a NAS and get MC running on it, but unless it's running a regular 32-bit Debian Wheezy install you'll need to work out some of the steps yourself (although there are several threads on MC setup in different distros).

If you're interested in DIY, I built a home-NAS around the following $70 MoBo with an integrated 1037U dual-core processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138393

Total system cost to assemble (excluding harddrives) was about $150*, which is a good deal cheaper than many commercial NAS boxes.  And it does much more: it runs MC alongside a x86 Debian install with plenty of breathing room, it has headers for 4 hard drives, and the system draws about 15 or 20 watts at idle with three disks in it (much less when asleep, but I don't let mine sleep).

*That was with some parts on sale; regular price would have been more like $180 or $190, which is still competetive with the Synology NAS systems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up