INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard crash with Hauppage winTV  (Read 3231 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Hard crash with Hauppage winTV
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:59:56 am »

i just got a hauppage winTV card, when i try and do ANYTHING with it at all in JRiver, it crashes hard.  so hard that i cannot stop the process with any sequence of events other than restart (i know that this normally means a buggy driver or something waiting for a kernel)

any suggestions?  should i be doing something with either JRiver or the TV card to at least stop this uber-crash?   i've no knowledge whatsoever about TV cards

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: HARD crash
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:07:21 pm »

Did you install the driver?  Does it work with any software?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: HARD crash
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 12:23:34 pm »

Did you install the driver?  Does it work with any software?

i installed the driver from the enclosed CD, but now i've gone to the hauppage website and got the latest.

the enclosed software (hauppage winTV) has found several hundred analog, QAM, and ATSC channels and works fine to watch TV.

if i go into JRiver and open the TV dialog box from the tree, i can enter the TV options dialog.  as long as i look at it nothing happens but if i try and either: change any options, or configure the card, it immediately crashes and requires a system restart to end the crash.

for fun i un-installed the Hauppage software (leaving the drivers intact) and it still crashes.  I will see if there may be alternative drivers, but in the meantime if anyone has suggestions i would appreciate

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Hard crash with Hauppage winTV
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:25:36 pm »

and an update:

with winTV uninstalled, and the drivers rolled back to the ones on the CD, i can get JRiver to scan the analog channels only.  trying to scan QAM continues to cause a crash.  for the record, i have a paid cable service and the TV card is hooked up to a live cable line.  hooking up the antenna and trying for ATSC immediately crashes MC as well.

here in Canada, there are very limited QAM channels available, as they are mostly scrambled.  but the few that are there i would like to be able to view in MC of course.  i'll continue to mess with it, i'm wondering if the encrypted nature of the channels is part of the problem?

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:25:44 pm »

ferday,

i own a HP (9500Q) tuner and as i am having ongoing problems with JRiver and TV i just yesterday "unhooked" the two to see if the HP was defective.  it runs perfectly as a standalone (so far) for both viewing and PVR'ing.  so i suggest to you to baseline the HP first which is to fully set it up and get it running as a standalone (set up channels, and view and record, etc. and set up the extender (if you have that capability)... then once it works as a standalone hook it into JRiver (which is a pretty seamless operation to do),  you will want to ensure JRiver picks up all the stations your HP does, etc. and FYI as i am a CDN i run the EPG twice (once for CDN and once for US) to ensure i get a full EPG.  PS i also suggest not doing the WDM process first (ie set up JRiver as the default sound system in Windows) as the more i work it the more i find "glitches" cheers

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 01:32:13 pm »

adlelare,

thanks for the response!

i have the same card (9500Q).  pardon my ignorance, but what is EPG (is that searching for the channels?)

i can "watch" analog channels in MC now but they are unwatchable, as the frame keeps freezing every 3 seconds or so.  but at least it's not crashing immediately so i have some hope

also there are a bunch of different QAM settings (HRC, standard, etc.) and although i understand very basically what they are, i don't know how to determine which one i should be using or how to find that out (i've tried HRC3 and HRC so far with immediate crashing)

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:44:42 pm »

ferday,

EPG is secret handshake club speak for electronic program guide  ;D

i assume you are hooking up to an tv antenna for OTA (Over the Air) and if so i believe you are looking for ATSC. i live southwest of TO and so pointing your antenna is important.. if you are trying to hook up to cable via 950Q i suspect in canada you will fail as i believe both Rogers and Bell scramble everything except for a very few SD stations (but i could be wrong).

but i would do the setup first via the HP software and get it run without JRiver first.

cheers.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:06:35 pm »

I got it setup and working (at least on a basic level) through the stock software, I'll play with that for a bit until I understand it better then I'll try integrating with MC

There's about 150 channels between QAM/analog that work over the cable (I haven't flipped through them all) and so far I can only get one, very poor quality OTA channel but I only have the little stock antenna.

I got the TV card to play with and see what could be done, so it is what it is...I've never played with one before.  Eventually I'd love for MC to control my TV and then my HTPC can become the brains of everything in the house

It'll be awhile but eventually Canada will succumb to the cable card just like the usa

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 03:04:04 pm »

ferday,

what cable provider do you use to get 150 stations via QAM/Analog?? i have never even thought to try it but likely will based on your experience.

what you will likely find is that HP interface is too basic for ongoing heavy use but is useful for some ensuring the hardware works.  also if have have the "extender" version of teh software you can play TV wired/wireless on other devices natively via a web browser.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 03:15:37 pm »

i'm with Shaw cable

i've gone through most of the channels that it says i can get, it seems around 80-90 work without glitch.  most are analog, only 5 or 6 QAM channels come through all the time, although it appears that some of the stations are on 'free preview' mode and those work good

thanks for the tip on the 'extender' version of the software

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 03:35:24 pm »

I have a VERY old version of WinTV, but see if the conflict w/MC is in the audio output choices. 

Starting with MC 20 I could no longer play wintv AND play MC together, winTV would freeze.  After a lot of messing around I found that if I redirected MC's audio output to something unusual--or disabled it all together--wintv would play fine.

Haven't tried any of this with the new MC WDM thingy--I wonder if that solves it or makes it worse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up