INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with expression to customize view  (Read 1308 times)

gweefry

• Recent member
Help with expression to customize view
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:50:00 am »

Having re-ripped my SACDs to iso to get rid of the click at the end of each track, I've now got a multi-channel and stereo version of each track.

Rather than delete the stereo ones from the database I'd prefer to keep them as they are more useful for occasionally exporting to a personal audio player.

I'm looking to customise views to give these results:

IF album contains multichannel tracks
THEN show multichannel tracks
ELSE show stereo tracks

I'd be grateful for any help in sorting out an expression which will do the job.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help with expression to customize view
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:10:21 am »

You might consider whether Stacks would work.  There is a wiki topic.

gweefry

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 11:48:15 am »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not familiar with Stacks, but notice that there have been a few comments on the forum suggesting that, in the absence of sidecars or other more stable storage of iso data, the use of Stacks can be unreliable.

I'd be happier if possible with a simpler way of sifting the tracks, but my skills with using expressions are limited to the more straightfoward usage.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 11:39:45 am »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not familiar with Stacks, but notice that there have been a few comments on the forum suggesting that, in the absence of sidecars or other more stable storage of iso data, the use of Stacks can be unreliable.

I'd be happier if possible with a simpler way of sifting the tracks, but my skills with using expressions are limited to the more straightfoward usage.

There are ways to workaround, but NOT to only show Multi if Multi exists (no if, then)

I made some custom fields that show "high res", "cd rip", "remaster", "multichannel", etc, then just made some views to sort it nicely.  It works well, although I'll technically always see all of the album versions they are quite easy to sort through (or make a view that shows multichannel only, etc).  These custom fields auto tag based on a smart list, so I don't have to do too much to fill them

I played with stacks some, you can successfully make the album you want (multi) to always show on top, but I have yet to become a fan of stacks in a visual way so for now im not using them much

gweefry

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 11:57:34 am »

Thanks for that, Ferday.  I'd come to the conclusion that what I'd looked for wasn't achievable.

Like you, I've got various views for multichannel and hi-res; for general overviews (Composer, etc.) I've simply put a sort on Channels so that the multichannel tracks show up at the top of the list.

gweefry

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:10:39 am »

Just to finish this one off, the addition of a modifier to "Set rules for file display": "Remove duplicates of... Name" will (if used with a reverse sort on Channels) remove the 2-channel versions from view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up