INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hdmi audio problem  (Read 3062 times)

sturmj

hdmi audio problem
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:39:09 am »

I am posting this here because I think it is more of a hardware &/or OS issue than a JRiver Issue.  I have NUC (4250) running MC and for the most part everything is great. My only problem is multi-channel audio.  I have connected my AV receiver to the NUC via HDMI and it shows in the audio devices (windows sound settings). However it only shows as a 2 channel device (It is a 7.1 capable receiver). If I connect to the TV, then audio out to receiver (toslink) still the same problem (even though there is a Dolby license sticker adjacent to the toslink jack).  It seems I am missing something simple but I am having a hard time nailing it down, and any help would be appreciated.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: hdmi audio problem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 04:57:12 am »

From what I know, HDMI audio levers off the back of your graphics driver, so making sure that's up to date is an obvious box to tick off. Check my comment here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93201.msg642536#msg642536

For more general assistance, please check through the Wiki info. I'd suggest you take some time with that guide and tick that box. It helps prevent others coming along asking you to check some of the basics that it covers.

Hope you get your fave tunes pumping soon..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

sturmj

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:38:54 pm »

I played around with all the settings. But the prob is definitely related to the two monitor situation.  I'm using two different outputs on the NUC (HDMI, DisplayPort), and all is the same. the only solution i have found is disconnecting the touchscreen monitor, that is the only way I can get the AV receiver to show in windows as a 7.1 audio device ( the thought was to use the monitor as a control screen, then to watch on the TV). As soon as I connect the monitor I can watch it switch to 2ch.
Would I be better off using a HDMI switch? Switched to the monitor it wouldn't see the receiver, then switch to the TV when I am ready to view, and the NUC would not see the monitor (assuming the HDMI switch works the way I would expect given its name)?

sturmj

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 07:23:15 pm »

OK I figured it out, I knew I was overlooking something simple, and after leaving it alone for a while, it was a simple solution.  I had it in my mind that I needed to split the HDMI signal to the various devices from the computer(control monitor, AV-receiver). Actually I should have (and did) split the signal after the AV receiver. now all is working perfectly, even the control monitor. I hope this might help someone else trying to figure something like this out.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 11:09:15 pm »

Lots of people seem to get caught out when using HDMI switches, because they didn't understand that their switch only supports stereo sound. Sometimes the switch is seen as the display device, and so effects what MC will send to the display. There are examples scattered throughout the forum.

That is why I like to ask for a diagram of how hardware is connected, or at least a very clear explanation. Unfortunately it is often very hard to get users to provide either...

I'm glad you got yours sorted though. Enjoy!

PS: The Toslink would probably have worked for 5.1 audio, if you were outputting Dolby Digital AC-3 rather than PCM or bit streaming. Toslink only supports stereo PCM, and I think up to Dolby 5.1 channels for most implementations, although later versions have the bandwidth for 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, and higher formats. Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up