INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDTV media player problem  (Read 1561 times)

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
WDTV media player problem
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:04:33 pm »

I have spent hours and hours trying what I can, having read the many "hang" threads- hard work for a 'puter rube.

I now cannot "see" my WDTV media player at all, from either of 2 i5 laptops- 1 with Win7 Pro, 1 with Win8.1 Pro- or a little Intel atom machine.
It wasn't like that a day and a half ago. (i can see the WDTV on 2 of my network maps. Win 8.1 is a problem so far).

Were there similar issues when MC updated in the past?
Can I suggest a collated thread/response once the glitches are sorted out?

If MC was a freebie like Foobar I'd just give up and move on, but it's not and is much lauded (and I was hoping for something easier to implement than Foobar).
Lenovo Tiny>Audioquest Jitterbug>Cary Audio DAC100t>Modwright LS100 pre>Hypex Ncore monoblocks>Eminent Technology LFT8B's and Vandersteen 2Wq subs. Cardas/Audiomica cables

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: WDTV media player problem
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:12:37 pm »

The WDTV issue is unlikely to be related to this issue.

That is a substantially more complex issue.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:24:56 pm »

I don't work for JRiver.   ;)

But yes.  However, I'll say this... I've seen a few of your posts on various threads here, but as soon as you say WDTV then it is obvious that your issue is only tangentially related to the topic at hand, and I ignore most of it.

I know it can seem like deflecting, but as I wrote in the guide:
It is always best to post in a new thread specific to your issue, unless you see a recent thread from another user who is experiencing what seems to be the same exact issue.

Always.  Not sometimes.  You will always get the best results that way.  If you aren't sure and it might be related, then the "default" should be to post a new thread, and maybe put a link to it with a "hey, I'm not sure this is the same, but check over here" message in the one you think might be related.  We can merge them if needed, but splitting threads is harder.

The reason is that it gets confusing for the people trying to help.  I'm writing advice in this thread specifically tailored to the problem Elvis133 is having.  If you are blindly following it, it wasn't written for you, so you are probably spinning your wheels.

Read the troubleshooting guide, and do what it says, and post a new thread with the details requested.  It might be related to the issues described here, but I doubt it.  Your issue is almost certainly something specific to DLNA support and perhaps the WDTV in particular (which is a bag of hurt).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 04:35:33 pm »

I don't work for JRiver.   ;)

But yes.  However, I'll say this... I've seen a few of your posts on various threads here, but as soon as you say WDTV then it is obvious that your issue is only tangentially related to the topic at hand, and I ignore most of it.

I know it can seem like deflecting, but as I wrote in the guide:
Always.  Not sometimes.  You will always get the best results that way.  If you aren't sure and it might be related, then the "default" should be to post a new thread, and maybe put a link to it with a "hey, I'm not sure this is the same, but check over here" message in the one you think might be related.  We can merge them if needed, but splitting threads is harder.

The reason is that it gets confusing for the people trying to help.  I'm writing advice in this thread specifically tailored to the problem Elvis133 is having.  If you are blindly following it, it wasn't written for you, so you are probably spinning your wheels.

Read the troubleshooting guide, and do what it says, and post a new thread with the details requested.  It might be related to the issues described here, but I doubt it.  Your issue is almost certainly something specific to DLNA support and perhaps the WDTV in particular (which is a bag of hurt).

Oh but you do! (pro bono at least)  ;)
No I wasn't blindly following- was reading other threads too. Point taken though.
WDTC hasn't been my only hang issue (though my main one). I'll not derail here any further.
Lenovo Tiny>Audioquest Jitterbug>Cary Audio DAC100t>Modwright LS100 pre>Hypex Ncore monoblocks>Eminent Technology LFT8B's and Vandersteen 2Wq subs. Cardas/Audiomica cables

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 05:33:58 pm »

Make sure you turned on Media Network in MC.

Power everything down and back up.  WD, computers, network access points, modem, etc.

If that doesn't solve it, then your firewall is a possibility.

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 01:04:05 am »

Once you've followed Jim's instructions & if there are still issues.....
 - How is the WD device connected to your network (wired or wireless)?
 - how does it get it's IP address (DHCP or static)?  Is it on the same subnet as the PC running JRiver?  Static addresses may simplify investigation
 - Some users (me included) experienced issues using the switch capabilities of their router.  Connecting the PC and the WD device to another network switch eliminated several issues
 - Are you using DLNA or SMB?  If DLNA then
   - Confirm that there is a DLNA server configured
   - There can be a delay in the devices identifying each other.  If everything is powered on and the DLNA server isn't visible in the WD device you could try restarting the JRiver Media Server Service (should be in the tray)

cheers,

Steve

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:28:08 am »

hi,

Further to my last post.  If your device is a WD TV Live SMP, please check the firmware version it is running.  I recently upgraded mine to 2.02.32 and experienced several different issues including
 - playback of MKV files via DLNA would cause the unit to lock-up
 - device non-responsive to its remote control

I have since reverted to 2.01.86.

More information can be found at
http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Is-WD-media-player-a-dead-product-If-so-can-some-one-recommend/td-p/816125/page/3
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live

Steve

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:29:52 am »

Another hang/freeze.

Hi
These 2 hangs are unrelated to WDTV. Playing on my laptop from C Drive.
Sorry, just seen all the recommendations re WDTV now.

Followed Jim's instructions.

Once you've followed Jim's instructions & if there are still issues.....
 - How is the WD device connected to your network (wired or wireless)? Wireless
 - how does it get it's IP address (DHCP or static)?  Is it on the same subnet as the PC running JRiver?  Static addresses may simplify investigation
 - Some users (me included) experienced issues using the switch capabilities of their router.  Connecting the PC and the WD device to another network switch eliminated several issues OK. Will see. have to figure all that out 1st.
 - Are you using DLNA or SMB?  If DLNA then
   - Confirm that there is a DLNA server configured Done
   - There can be a delay in the devices identifying each other.  If everything is powered on and the DLNA server isn't visible in the WD device you could try restarting the JRiver Media Server Service (should be in the tray) DLNA server visible

Before I roll back software/ buy something else- I didn't have the same issues in the brief time I had MC19.
I also am unable to add the WDTV device to my laptop running 8.1 Pro. Wired to the router- hardly ever sees the WDTV. (Taking laptop to someone to get Win 7 Pro and 500G SSD next week).
Downloaded WD Discovery software and Current Firmware - 1.01.30 (08/2014)- onto laptop only so far.

Bear in mind WDTV is visible on my network from 2 laptops.
Also, no drive attached to WDTV. It merely gets music from my laptop to my hi-fi (or did :-\).

Would reverting to MC19 be an option?

adiebear

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 09:34:11 am »

Directly after the previous freeze. Restarted. Played a song already in Playing Now. Then went  into drive folder, loaded music folder and it froze when I tried to play a song (same as happened earlier).
Pages: [1]   Go Up