INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please change the texts WDM and IPC  (Read 1955 times)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Please change the texts WDM and IPC
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:47:33 am »

Can you please change the texts WDM and IPC to something comprehensible to a normal human being?

The current acronyms are something that only computer nerds can understand; and not even all nerds do so; e.g. ones like me..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Please change the texts WDM and IPC
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 07:23:44 am »

Acronyms are acronyms.  FLAC, DLNA, PC, OSX ....  None of them had their current meaning a few decades ago.

We could name it JRiver Stealth Sound Driver, but then it would become JSSD on the forum.

More important, in my opinion, is that we communicate clearly what it does, that it's easy to set up, and that you can forget you're using it because it just works.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:46:24 am »

As I suggested before, the driver should be renamed to something like "JRiver Virtual Audio Device" and IPC should be replaced with something like "System Audio from JRiver Virtual Audio Device".

These names are both descriptive and instructive. When reading these, the user has enough information to figure out exactly what is going on.

When the Now Playing list is suddenly replaced with "ipc" the user has no idea of what is happening. They have to either seek out help on the forums, or simply give up and accept that something is broken.

More important, in my opinion, is that we communicate clearly what it does, that it's easy to set up, and that you can forget you're using it because it just works.
Then it should either be playing to a separate zone, using Zone Switch by default, or it should restore the previous Playing Now list when it stops.

It should be customizable so that it is not only active for 10 seconds - that should be a user definable period of time.

The driver needs to be fixed so that it does not play distorted sound for the first couple of seconds of playback, and is capable of playing short sounds (e.g. system sounds) at all.

flac.rules

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:51:21 am »

I don't see why ipc has to be an acronym in the playing now list? On the forums, by all means, but why not name it something understandable in the playing now list? I love this new feature, it's great, but I agree the naming is somewhat confusing.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 09:54:35 am »

I'll admit... when i first installed 20, and every update after until i came to forum, i was a bit scared of the IPC, due to the fact it said live stream (on Hover), and there was no audio or video, and above all when i clicked on clear playing now, it kept coming back...made me question if i was being hacked (actually made me question many things.) After posting this though and getting answers i wasnt worried, http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93488.0

Pages: [1]   Go Up