INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spontaneous Install After MC Had Already Been Installed [Solved]  (Read 1902 times)

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck
Spontaneous Install After MC Had Already Been Installed [Solved]
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:07:44 pm »

I've had MC installed and configured for at least ten days now.  Tonight, I opened a music file (.m4a), and instead of playing the song, MC launched some sort of install process.  I went along with it, OK'ing all the prompts, as I thought that was the best thing to do under the circumstances, and when it finished, MC launched, with my main configuration changes as they were before, but without the custom keyboard shortcuts that I'd created in Resource.xml.

Why did this happen?  What can I do to stop this from happening again?

George

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

If you have MC set to automatically install upgrades, it will install upgrades on the next launch automatically after they're posted.  MC installs upgrades using it's normal installer, and normally settings are not affected.  Certain files (like resource.xml) get overwritten unless you put them in a "custom resources" folder as described here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76048.0

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

Thank you for the quick assistance!  One question, though.  I've looked all over Options, but I can't find the option that controls the automatic installation of upgrades.  Would you (or someone) please tell me where that is?  It's probably right under my nose, but I've looked for a couple of minutes and just cannot find it.

Thanks again.

George 

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

It's at "Help --> Update Channels --> Disable Automatic Update (not recommended)"

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

Thank you.  I had only looked for it in "Options".  I think I'll be leaving that setting alone for the time being, though, and creating a "custom resources" folder instead, as you suggested, so as to avoid this problem.

Thanks again!

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team

It is under "Options" as well.

Look in "Startup" for "Update Channels".

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

It is under "Options" as well.

Look in "Startup" for "Update Channels".
Thanks for pointing that out.  I did not look under that particular item in Startup, because of the reference to "Channels" in the title.

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

After thinking some more about the explanation for the spontaneous reinstallation issue that I posted about here, I looked at the release notes for MC20, and I saw that there had been at least eight updates since I installed the product.  During that time, I have used MC20 on a daily basis (or virtually so), yet this reinstallation behavior has occurred only once.  So, how do I reconcile the explanation for this reinstallation event with the fact that this spontaneous (upon opening an audio file) reinstallation has occurred only once?  If this reinstallation event were in fact due to the "automatic update" setting, then I should have experienced this reinstallation on several occasions, right?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Because you're probably subscribed to the Stable channel, which is the default.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

riparius

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks, JimH.  Your assumption is correct.  Problem solved. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up