INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: whole home audio  (Read 2353 times)

jbtheBeard

whole home audio
« on: November 29, 2014, 10:05:16 pm »

Hello jriver community!

I'm seeking some wisdom.  I have wired my home with 9 zones of audio.  I just purchased a 12 zone amplifier and now need a source system for control.

I need to be able to play independent streams of audio to any zone.  Preferably an mp3/wma library with play lists,  Internet radio, pandora, stereo input (cd/ipod), and maybe a dlna push from device.

I would like to control all of this from multiple tablets throughout the house.

Another fun feature would be intercom/announce to the zones, and a play to all zones.

JRiver looks appealing.  Can yall comment on your designs and hardware? 

Thanks so much!!
Jb

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: whole home audio
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 12:39:19 am »

Hi and Welcome!

I take it from you post you have each of the 9 zones directly connected to an amp, and I presume you have 9 Audio inputs to this amp that can be feed with different content. MC can have as many Zones as you need - see this http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones but you will need 9 outputs from your PC to feed each of these zones.

You can then control these zones from a tablet or phone using Gizmo or EOS (Andriod) and JRemote (iPhone) - more on the "Remotes Forum"  You can also "link" some or all of the zones so they all play the same content as well!  You can even create "rules".

On the intercom front you are out of luck with MC - here is a thread where I was trying to do something similar but using Andriod Tablets as the room units.  The other way you could do "announcements" in your setup is the latest versions of MC include a Virtual Sound Card driver that routes Windows Audio to MC.  I just tried this with a Microphone and if it is configured in Windows Sound Options to "Listen" the the audio is played through MC so you could push this to all or some of the rooms (but it would be just announce not two way).

Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 12:43:49 am »

...and before JimH or the Beta Team asks - JB is clearly a man of great wisdom with his requests for Whole Home Audio & Intercom (and I don't know him and he is not my sock puppet!)  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:21:26 am »

His first post and he SAID    INTERCOM  :o

jbbmsg

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 07:17:25 pm »

LOL, I take it that others would like intercom as well?  I ended up using the android tablets.  found a few for $ 29.00 black Friday.  Problem is the audio sucks on them.. :-)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 04:49:07 pm »

Many android devices support USB OTG, in which case you can hook them up to cheapy external dacs that will improve the sound  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up