INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single item 'skip' - Theater View  (Read 3148 times)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
Single item 'skip' - Theater View
« on: November 30, 2014, 10:45:50 am »

Hey,

You know when you have a single item in a view, it skips a level and goes straight to the single item.  When it does this should it show the 1st level value or 2nd level value as it's name?  For me it's showing the 1st level.

So my Theater View layout is:

Video > Films > All > Series | Name

If the Series level only contains 1 item it skips straight to the Name level, but for me it's showing the Series value instead of, in my opinion, the Name value.

In the screenshots, you can see the Name level is showing just 'Happy Feet' (which is the Series value), but the Name value is actually 'Happy Feet Two', which is what I'd expect to see at the top.  I obviously don't have Happy Feet 1.

Hope this makes sense.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Single item 'skip' - Theater View
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 11:19:10 am »

That's interesting.

If you look at the first screen shot (not the Theater View one), you'll see some of the rest of the Theater View options, one being 'Shows'.  This follows EXACTLY the same layout/setup/config as Films, only it has Media Sub Type = Other.  Films has Media Sub Type = Movie.

The Shows view works exactly as I think it should, in that it shows the Name value.  As a test, I made Happy Feet Two Media Sub Type = Other and it now shows Happy Feet Two (the Name value) and not Happy Feet (the Series value) in Theater View.

So it would appear to me that Media Sub Type = Movie and Skip Empty Level has something wrong in Theater View.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:44:00 am »

So it would appear to me that Media Sub Type = Movie and Skip Empty Level has something wrong in Theater View.

Or maybe that's by design, and Other is broken?  ;D

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:33:23 am »

Anyone able to confirm whether it is a 'bug', by design or a problem with my config?

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 12:25:57 am »

It does the same with Media Sub Type=TV Show (shows Series value instead of Name value)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 05:17:18 am »

sorry seems like no one is answering. Its not a bug in that Series is basically used for TV   eg Series, Season, Episode and to get meta data correctly, basic file naming normally includes something like S01E19. Normally one sets up views so that you can "drill down" from the title say Homeland, to Season. Whether you put series under Show or TV on a main roller or menu is your choice. The Sub Type is important.

Most people consider  movies like Spiderman as individual movies, (put together they are a franchise?) or  are they indeed series or chapters like The Lord of the Rings? To each his own.

So in my opinion, its not so much that there is an error in your config, you just have to decide to what extent it is worth "drilling" down especially if most of your films are not a "series" per se. Doing what you are doing now all films should have series filled in, which often would be the same as name (you can do this automatically by selecting them and typing =[Name] in their series tag fromm the action window btw). The you would have Happy Feet in the series box but Happy Feet 2 in the Name box.  You would have to click on Happy Face to get down to the other Happy Face Videos -- and if you only have one ... might not be optimal. Although you can set the option to "Display all as a choice where if clicked it would expand all of the films. 

What I do is simply use stacking.  That way you can regroup all films in a "series" under an icon stack - unstack them to view individually or play them all contiguously if you want.

If you opt to create views where you drill down to see them, I would avoid using the series tag personally (use another field or create one, or use keywords). Might cause issues getting metadata automatically. I would alos save the "Other" sub-type for things that don't fall into anything else. So I would make sure all of your TV shows have a TV show subtype and all your films have a movie subtype. Then you can do a number of things.

Am in a rush .... did any of this make sense to you?? :)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 05:45:26 am »

Yeah, sort of.

For TV series I full disc rip, so can't use the S01E19 naming convention.  I do use particles for the full disc rips which breaks them out into individual episodes, which then get the correct field setup: Series = American Horror Story, Season = 1, Episode = 1.

I only use 'Other' for what I call Live Shows. That is the DVD/Blu version of a live comedy show or a music concert.  They're not movies or TV shows and should not be labelled as such.

Movies all have Media Sub Type = Movie
TV Shows all have Media Sub Type = TV Show

I use the Series field for movies for grouping film collections. So in my main Movies view there'll be one item for the Batman series, Indiana Jones series etc.  Then drilling down will show all of the individual films.  I do indeed fill in the Series field matching the name for single films, or 'Batman' as in the Batman collection of films or 'Indiana Jones' for that collection, etc., etc..

What I can't quite understand is if I have 2 levels in Theater View options (Series and Name), if it skips one level and jumps straight to the next, why does it still show the first levels field at the top, rather than the  field it jumps to?

To me, having Raiders of the Lost Ark filed under 'R' with the other ones under 'I' (Indiana Jones and...), and Batman Begins under 'B' and its 2 sequels under 'T' or 'D' (The Dark Knight) is absolutely stupid.  They should absolutely be together.  Believe it or not, it's actually one of the primary reasons I choose to pay for JRiver rather than using Windows Media Center.  The better audio/video playback of JRiver is just a bonus.

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 06:45:10 am »

To me, having Raiders of the Lost Ark filed under 'R' with the other ones under 'I' (Indiana Jones and...), and Batman Begins under 'B' and its 2 sequels under 'T' or 'D' (The Dark Knight) is absolutely stupid.  They should absolutely be together.  Believe it or not, it's actually one of the primary reasons I choose to pay for JRiver rather than using Windows Media Center.  The better audio/video playback of JRiver is just a bonus.
It not absolutely stupid for some people. Unless you give it instructions otherwise, it will sort in ascending alphanumeric order by name. You haven't given it a sort order other than disk number. At the very least you would need to sort by series, then probably name unless you want it by date, then disk number. For TV you would need another level for episode. What you see on the screen can also be modified by using a simple expressions like combining your "series name" - "name of film" .

You can do more or less what you want. The out of the box views are just to get you started. I no longer have any of them personally. You can also wset up views in Standard mode first and then import them, through theater view options.

I can't see what if any options you have chosen for the view as it is covered up ... is this set  to display all as choice checked might want to play with that too. I'm still confused what you mean by skip though.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 09:21:08 am »

You haven't given it a sort order other than disk number.

The sorting is done in the Series (Ascending) and Name (Date (oldest first)) views.  The disc # one is obviously for multiple disc films.

I'll take some screenshots tonight.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 09:45:28 am »

I'm still confused what you mean by skip though.

I think it was introduced in MC18.  I agree the word 'skip' is not the MC terminology.

Basically, if a view contains a single item, it bypasses that view rather than presenting the same thing twice.  I'll try and find the post.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:48:09 am »

It's called Auto Zoom.

Changed: When going into a Theater View library item that only contains a single file, the file will be 'zoomed' automatically.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=77006.msg526253#msg526253

So basically, my 1st level is the Series, 2nd/3rd level is Name.  From my post, the 2nd level would show multiple items if there were any (say Disc 1 and Disc 2 for example), and for single items it zooms straight to level 3. But when this auto zoom happens, it's displaying the field from the 1st level (Series).

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 09:54:03 am »

The sorting is done in the Series (Ascending) and Name (Date (oldest first)) views.  The disc # one is obviously for multiple disc films.

I'll take some screenshots tonight.

ok. Just in the screen shot you posted at first it only had the one sort rule, thats what I was referring to. And thanks for the link I see what you mean now.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 01:24:39 pm »

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 01:25:10 pm »

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 01:29:09 pm »

So by my reckoning, it should show 'Season 1' when Auto Zooming, not Breaking Bad because Breaking Bad is the Series value.

The library items for Films, TV and Shows are all identical, only the 2nd library item for TV is obviously Season, not Name.

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 02:56:37 pm »

Is there any way to avoid this Auto Zoom? Even if I only have one season of a show, I like to see the cover art of the season.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 03:51:05 am »

Think I may have an idea to get around it.  Can this be done:

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 11:44:39 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up