INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping CD's and text data  (Read 1294 times)

Harroun4

• World Citizen
Ripping CD's and text data
« on: November 30, 2014, 08:03:34 pm »

Can someone please confirm if I am correct in the following scenario when ripping CD's. I am currently literally separated half way around the world from my music collection and am trying to make a plan convert my CD's which are copies of the original but with CDText added and edited by yours truly over many years. That database which is locked in Nero program I have been guarding as jealously as the old sultan does his harem.

Put a CD in the drive and either the "burn disc" or "rip disc" window, the program will read the disc and if text is present will retrieve to the program's internal database.

Then there is an option to edit that data or download data from the internet.

Then the disc is either burned or ripped using the displayed data.

Now for the questions??

Is this data permanently stored in the program?

Is there a limit on how many CD's data can be stored?

So far the only way I have found to edit this data is when the CD is inserted that the edit window is available. Is there a way to access this data without the CD inserted?

Important, where is the address of the data file so I can add to my back up routine?

If one edits the title/track info from the main windows, does this also apply to the program data base?? I don't think so.

Small request, in the list of fields of "tags" can the CDID code be added. IE: the UPC is there. My reasoning is of more than 4000 CD's in the previous system I have all the cover art is stored by CDID code, looking through front and back images is a tedious task with this number.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Ripping CD's and text data
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 07:08:56 am »

CD Text was never used much, so we may not be much help.

When you rip a disc, MC goes to the Internet to find the metadata (album, artist, etc.).  This metadata is stored in MC's database, and optionally in the files themselves.  MC has a setting called something like "Store tags in file".  Try a search in options.

Try a few to see what you can learn. 

Harroun4

• World Citizen
Re: Ripping CD's and text data
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:50:37 pm »

Thanks for the info. Would this "meta data" be stored in the library file? Or something different. If is the library file, then back up the library will take care of the back up needs.

Yes, I know the CD Text was never used much, but when I started doing more with my music collection 20 years back, the only way I could find to display album info was via making a copy of the CD and add the text in the process. Because I was never satisfied with the internet data bases and when the few times the text was on the CD I manually set up my preferred format and sort of rolled my own. But the data base has never been "portable" so to say. This is a problem for me.

Anyway, I talk too much. Should spend more time listening to my music.

Regards, Harroun
Pages: [1]   Go Up