INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are the folks at Real for real???  (Read 1604 times)

markctpr

Are the folks at Real for real???
« on: January 25, 2002, 05:58:50 pm »

Ok.  I just must be missing something here..  Do the folks at RealNetworks really think people will pay $9.95 per month just to use their new player?   While it looks pretty snazzy it is not nearly as fully functioned as MJ and it costs a bloody fortune.  This really seems like a business killing strategy to me.

Before I realized that MJ could play streaming RealAudio, I was willing to pay the $20-30 just for the player (I don't need to pay them for content).  But that is not even an option.  Thanks JRiver from saving me from that nonsense.

MJC

Tweaker

RE:Are the folks at Real for real???
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2002, 06:42:47 pm »

I agree! I WAS a previous RealOne user. It doesn't even begin to compare to the functionality of MJ. $9.95 a month? No way! I tried if for about 2 weeks and was totally unhappy.

Thanks MJ for such a GREAT product!

Tweaker

msc3

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2002, 08:57:36 pm »

Ditto for me as well. I had been using Real Audio Player and Jukebox for 4 or 5 years. At first I was jazzed when they combined the player and jukebox in one application. But when they wanted to charge $9.95 a month FOREVER just to access the advanced functions of the RealOne player (I could care less about the content they are peddling), my jaw hit the floor with a loud thud. I guess Real is going to join the scrapheap of .com's that didn't understand what their customers wanted. Now that I have discovered MJ, I can't see myself going back even if Real did come to their senses and went back to their old pricing scheme.
Maynard
(This space for rent)

markctpr

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2002, 03:44:29 am »

The thing that really galls me is that most of the screens they use to sell the product only say $9.95 and don't make it clear that they mean $9.95 per month.  Only the screens deeper into the checkout process make it clear what is going on.

It will surely sink them if they don't come up some kind of one-time charge for the player with a separate monthly fee for the content.  Just stunning--they deseve to sink.

MJC

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2002, 08:54:08 am »

Look at the bright side of all this.

If they DO fail and go out of business, it just means there'll be one less company out there selling software that takes over your home page, your bookmarks, your start menu, your desktop, your system tray, and one less company that collects all sorts of personal information about what music you listen to and what files you download.

The quicker Real goes out of business, the better, IMNSHO.

markctpr

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2002, 04:53:29 am »

And once again, the big winner will be Microsoft.  Folks will be using Media Player for streaming downloads (like on CDNOW.com & CNN.com) more than ever.

Just so I'm clear--is there still a free player available from Real Networks hidden on the site someplace?

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2002, 05:44:23 am »

I believe so, but finding it is like playing Where's Waldo with a blindfold on.

HTH

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2002, 06:02:10 am »

Yeah-still there. The link to the free player is embedded in a miniscule grey bar separating the various pay-to-play version. Great if you have falcon eyes.

You can either get a free version of the new bundled player-jukebox, or the prior release version (8).

Here's the address to download 8:

http://forms.real.com/real/player/player.html?src=020125realhome_1,020123r1choice_h1,011204rpchoice_c1&dc=128127126

HTH

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2002, 06:18:10 am »

Free Real One Player, (Right Side Of HTML)

www.real.com/realone/trial.html?dc=128127126&src=gm_promo,020124rjbchoice_2

It's really Real Junkbox2 Not the Real One Player, I just checked.

For some reason Real always hids the free player, and miss leads the public on there web site.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

markctpr

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2002, 07:15:58 am »

Thanks..  That did the trick.   Just installing it, and then having to disable all the crap it throws around my computer, pissed me off.

MJC

Roger the Shrubber

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2002, 09:38:07 pm »

While importing media over the weekend, a new disease manifested itself on my machine. Please advise me as to how to get rid of the Real Player popup which keeps asking me to d/l the "latest version" etc etc every time the media import completes....

I never have had, and never will have, any Real software on my PC.........but it appears that something or someone has screwed with me.

version 7.2.28

mcleaver

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2002, 12:03:20 am »

I "upgraded" to Real One and immediately downgraded again when I found it opened a "you received mail" window from ytime to time, even when officially no Real product is running. I am still getting bugged by upgrade offers every time I use RealPlayer 8... looks like they are getting more and more persistent...

Rgds

Martin

zevele

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2002, 12:08:30 am »

I do not understand one thing:if you want to play Real stuff with MediaJukebox,you do need to have ReelPlayer on you computer?Or you just need "a MediaJukebox plugin"?Beside this,in the Realone player,do you know if RealPlayer got new and better codex,or it is just the old stuff in a new suit?

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2002, 04:32:01 am »

You need Real Player to play Real files with MJ.  Real Jukebox can be uninstalled.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up