INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo problem with new Samsung Galaxy S5  (Read 2673 times)

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
Gizmo problem with new Samsung Galaxy S5
« on: December 06, 2014, 09:32:07 pm »

Seems like I'm always writing to ask about Gizmo problems.  I'm having the exact same problem as poster Thorolw back in May, except I have the aforementioned Samsung Galaxy S5:

"I have the exact same problem on the exact same phone. I had a Samsung S3 before and on that Gizmo worked like clockwork. I have not changed anything on the server, I just switched phones and downloaded the app.  I can access the server via wifi only, outside the network it simply does not connect." [from this post: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88946.0]

I also had a (rooted) S3 that I could stream from with no problems, either on WiFi or on 3g/LTE.  With the (unrooted) new phone, I can only get Gizmo to work on my home's WiFi network. Every time I try to connect outside my home WiFi, I get the dreaded "Error Communicating with Server."  I've
--quintuple checked the Access Key
--tried changing the Access Key and then quintuple checked the new one when typing it into Gizmo (and the new Access Key works with my client laptop inside the home network, though I haven't tried it yet outside; it's worked before, so I'm guessing it still does)
--passed (repeatedly) the Access Key Test in Media Center
--Webgizmo works fine both in and outside my home network
--disabled my virus protection/firewall program (Vipre), to see if it made any difference (it didn't)
--double checked that there was an exception to all Media Center exe applications in Vipre (there were)
--double checked that there was an exception in Vipre to port 52199 (there was--as I noted above, Gizmo has worked on my S3 and on my earlier Droid X, for nearly 4 years; and I've always had these settings in place)
--Windows Firewall is disabled (because I have Vipre)
--have static IP addresses for all networked devices in my Netgear WNDR4500 router, if that makes any difference when connecting from the outside (I'm guessing it doesn't)
--have port 52199 forwarded in that same router
--have gone through everything in the J River Network Access Wiki and found no problems when looking at Live Essentials (don't have it on) or the other troubleshooting options

It must be something with the new phone, but I've fiddled around with the network settings and found nothing.  Does anyone out there having any suggestions here? I'm ready to throw the phone against the wall and/or pull my hair out, so frustrating has this been.  What could be not allowing the access?

Thanks for any and all help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gizmo problem with new Samsung Galaxy S5
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 07:06:36 am »

What is the problem?

A new build of Gizmo was posted late yesterday on the Play Store.  Try updating.

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 08:59:35 am »

Sorry if I didn't make the problem clear enough.  I can't connect to Gizmo outside my home (WiFi) network, i.e., on 3g/LTE, I get the 5 attempts to connect via the Access Key, and then the "There was a problem connecting to the server.  Please double-check that you have entered the correct key . . ." and so on. 

I saw that Gizmo updated last night, but unfortunately, it didn't make any difference, even after a phone restart.  It seems like it's a firewall issue, or that Media Center's server is off, but the latter stays on all the time, and as I noted in the original post, after I tried connecting via 3g/LTE with antivirus/firewall off, the same issue occurred (and I don't use Windows Firewall; plus, as I also noted, I've been streaming with Gizmo on my Droid X and my Galaxy S3 for the past 4 years or thereabouts, with few problems outside a caching issue that I figured out).  I'm stumped.     

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 09:03:15 am »

That is probably a firewall or routing problem on your home network.  The Gizmo instructions have a link to a topic on that.  It's called "Network Access".

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:47:07 am »

As I said in the original post, I've gone through the Network Access page on the J River Wiki pretty thoroughly.  I've turned my main Virus protection/firewall (Vipre) off, and Windows Firewall is always off because I use Vipre.  Port 52199 has an exception to it in Vipre anyway, as do all the Media Center exe applications.  Besides, if this were the problem, would Gizmo have worked the past 4 years? I used it earlier this week before the Galaxy S5 arrived.  The only difference is the new phone, and I can't find anything on it that would block a connection to J River's media server.  Stumped!!!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 09:56:25 am »

You need to tell your router to forward

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 10:16:15 am »

Yes, I've done that.  It's been port-forwarded for a long time, as I noted in the original post (see "Untitled" attachment). 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 10:59:49 am »

Yes, I've done that.  It's been port-forwarded for a long time, as I noted in the original post (see "Untitled" attachment). 
It's probably either that or the firewall. 

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 03:17:24 pm »

Got it working, and it was the antivirus/firewall.  I contacted the vendor for it, and they had me go into "Learning Mode" and basically reset everything and thus allow the user to recreate rules for access.  That seems to have done it.  Don't know why just turning off the antivirus/firewall wouldn't do it, but anyway, I'm glad it works again, since I love using Gizmo on all my commuting. 

Thanks Jim!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up