INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FOLDER AppData/Roaming/J River = 20 gigabites.....  (Read 3256 times)

henry2

• Recent member
FOLDER AppData/Roaming/J River = 20 gigabites.....
« on: December 12, 2014, 02:42:45 pm »

Hi,

I have had this problem numerous times on different computers: the FOLDER AppData/Roaming/J River contains massive amount of data equalling about 20 gigabites and increasing per day until my C-drive crashes because it becomes overloaded....

I have my music stored in a NAS, but JRiver manages to store large quantities of AppData on the C-drive of my PC(s).

Help!!

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: FOLDER AppData/Roaming/J River = 20 gigabites.....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 07:31:54 am »

Check your settings for "File Locations".

Are you recording TV?

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 07:43:04 am »

Sorry to piggy-back on this, but I still have a JRiver 18 and 19 folder in that same folder described by the OP. Is it OK to delete those? They take up quite a bit of room ...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 07:49:23 am »

It's always safest to rename a directory first and make sure everything is still working.

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 08:54:42 am »

What Jim says is good advice. Generally if you don't use 18 or 19 it would be ok to delete them. However, if you look in in MC20 under Options->File Location you may see some of them pointing to the older version directories. There are several ways this could happen. So I would check first.

If some are pointing there, you could move the affected directories to the newer folder, or you could rename/delete some of the subfolders that are not being used.

To the original poster:
What specifically is taking up 20 GB of data in that folder? You might want to look into that. Find what folders contain all the data etc and then you should know what is causing it. Like Jim said, if you are recording TV 20GB could easily be reached. If that is the case it is possible to move the files to a bigger drive etc.

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:21:13 pm »

However, if you look in in MC20 under Options->File Location you may see some of them pointing to the older version directories.

Jim, would it make sense to store common data (to all versions) in a 'Common' sub folder.  Then just store the binaries for each version inside that versions folder (MC18, 19, 20, etc.)?

The un-install routine could have a checkbox that tells the un-installer to also remove this Common folder.  It would be un-checked by default.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 01:22:15 pm »

Structure can change between versions, which would massively complicate this, and honestly, data isn't usually huge, unless you have temporary TV recordings or other stuff living in there.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 07:23:41 pm »

OP, Gvanbrunt's idea is a good one: find out what's taking up all the ever increasing amounts of space and that will be a clue on how to address the issue.  It may be something you can easily fix.

...data isn't usually huge, unless you have temporary TV recordings or other stuff living in there.

It depends on what you mean by huge.  FWIW, I routinely have multiple gigs of data (between 2 and 6) floating around in my MC Roaming directories and it's not due to TV recording.  

I didn't really use TV in MC 18 or 19 (didn't even have a tuner until late in the MC 19 lifecycle), but had multiple gigs (5 or 6) in those directories on my main HTPC when I deleted them.  The big offenders usually seem to be library thumbnails (which are important) and cached web content like theater view background pictures (which are less important).

My MC 20 roaming directory right now is about 2.5 gigs, and about half that (over a gig) is just cached theater view background pictures.  As far as I know there's no way to limit that kind of caching from within MC.  I just go in and "clean up" in explorer once in a while when it gets too big.

Pages: [1]   Go Up