INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 computers and Drobo  (Read 1675 times)

PeterGregg

• Recent member
2 computers and Drobo
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:01:24 pm »

Hi,

I have an office/living-room  computer downstairs and an NAS Drobo attached to my home network with my music on it.

I also have an upstairs computer in my bedroom and would like to listen to music in my bedroom at night.

Should I install JRiver on both computers and play music thru the upstairs computer that way? Or is there a better way.

The catch, or gotcha is I used the downstairs computer in the living room to fix up the genres and categories for all the songs, so if I want to listen to Christmas music to fall asleep to, I am not sure where the genre info is, in the Drobo or in the JRiver program? What would you do?

Thanks,
Peter

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
Re: 2 computers and Drobo
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:15:17 pm »

Is your Drobo attached to the network via Ethernet, or is it an older Drobo attached through USB?

At any rate, make sure that the Drobo drive is assigned the same letter on both computers through mapping the drive. In the "Playing now" window of the upstairs computer, load (add) the downstairs library (first make sure that Media server is enabled in Options>Media Network). In Options>Media Network, also make sure that all three checkboxes are checked in "Client options". Once that is done, you will have identical access to your library on both computers

PeterGregg

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 04:18:59 pm »

Hi Claude,

(Connected via Ethernet, it is NAS)

Thanks, I will set it up that way when I get home.

Will I have to keep the computer ON all night for downstairs when trying to listen upstairs?

Peter

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 04:41:10 pm »

Hmmmm .... since your Drobo is a NAS, technically the files will play without the server, but if your server is off and you open JRiver your upstairs computer, it will not be able to load the library file. So the server has to remain active. My server is always on so I didn't think about that detail when reading your post

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 05:18:20 pm »

Will I have to keep the computer ON all night for downstairs when trying to listen upstairs?
Just set it to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity.  When you finish playing music upstairs, your server will then sleep.

PeterGregg

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 05:59:13 pm »

That is a great idea Jim, thank you. But it looks more and more like I will have to get a lower power computer to have on all the time. My main computer is a beast to cut thru 4K file editing.

Peter

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 06:42:26 pm »

The power problem you're facing is why we've begun offering the JRiver Id.  It draws about 7 watts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up