INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB 2.0 versus USB 3.0 port for DAC connection  (Read 11708 times)

Bucky Brown

• Recent member
USB 2.0 versus USB 3.0 port for DAC connection
« on: December 18, 2014, 04:38:13 pm »

I have a HP laptop PC running Windows 7 that has both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports.  Does it matter which port I use to connect to my DAC (a Geek Out 720 via a Schitt Wyrd)?  

Potentially the faster speed of the USB 3.0 port might improve the overall SQ.  But I think I read something in the past that the USB 3.0 port might have more noise (although the purpose of the Schitt Wyred is presumably to clean-up to output from the PC).

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
Regards,
Bucky Brown

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: USB 2.0 versus USB 3.0 port for DAC connection
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 05:16:35 pm »

Either should work.  USB 3.0 is just faster than 2.0, but 2.0 is fast enough.

Zero_G

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:50:42 pm »

Some Dacs just don't work properly with usb 3.  Speed is not a factor if you already have usb 2. 

Schu

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:03:12 pm »

Some Dacs just don't work properly with usb 3.  Speed is not a factor if you already have usb 2. 

This^...

As a matter of fact most dacs won't currently

cupboy100

• Recent member
Using JRiver with a USB DAC -- anyone done this?
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 04:52:42 pm »

I have a Marantz SA8005 with USB DAC. Does anyone know how to get JRiver for Windows to output a signal through the USB cable? I don't see any settings on the computer to do this. I don't see the point of using the product to play music through 2 inch computer speakers. Is there any documentation that describes how to do this? I'll keep looking.

cupboy100

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 04:55:04 pm »

Also can anyone tell me how to start a topic, rather than just reply to an existing one?

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 05:01:44 pm »

I have a Marantz SA8005 with USB DAC. Does anyone know how to get JRiver for Windows to output a signal through the USB cable? I don't see any settings on the computer to do this. I don't see the point of using the product to play music through 2 inch computer speakers. Is there any documentation that describes how to do this? I'll keep looking.
Download and install the driver
Connect a USB cable from the PC to the SA8005.
Select the SA8005 as your output device in Media Center. (Tools→Options→Audio→Audio Device)

Also can anyone tell me how to start a topic, rather than just reply to an existing one?
When you are at the topic listing, there should be a button in the top-right of the page to create a new one.

cupboy100

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 05:07:15 pm »

Unfortunately the Marantz is not listed there. Would a certain operating system be required?

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 05:12:50 pm »

Have you installed the driver before connecting the SA8005 to the PC?
It shouldn't matter these days, but try restarting the PC after installation to see if that helps.

EDIT: After having a look over the manual, it appears that the Marantz device will simply be listed as "Digital Audio Interface"

You should be able to rename this in the Windows Sound Control Panel for easier identification, or you can just select "Digital Audio Interface (WASAPI)" in Media Center as the playback device.

cupboy100

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 07:15:25 pm »

Yep, I thought of that later and now both iTunes and jriver works. As far as high resolution goes I can only play the FLAC 24/96 files. The Marantz says "unsupported" if I attempt to play a DSD file. I will check to see if there is a way within jriver to convert these to FLAC, but that's really too bad I like the sound of DSD.

cupboy100

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 09:24:25 pm »

I have another question. How do I convert the DSD files to 24 bit 96 khz FLAC? What I am ending up with is 24 bit 352800 Hz which are also unsupported by the lowly Marantz. I went into DSP settings but only seems to offer me 48khz and not 96khz.

update: disregard. I think I may have figured this out.

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 09:26:43 pm »

Player → DSP Studio → Output Format lets you set the output conversions.
Tools → Options → Audio → Settings → Bitstreaming will let you enable DSD Bitstreaming. (if supported)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 08:00:08 am »

I have another question. How do I convert the DSD files to 24 bit 96 khz FLAC? What I am ending up with is 24 bit 352800 Hz which are also unsupported by the lowly Marantz. I went into DSP settings but only seems to offer me 48khz and not 96khz.

update: disregard. I think I may have figured this out.

You need to set the proper output format in the DSP window under the convert option. Sounds like you found that.  Also, there is a low pas filter applied durng conversion which can be set under Options > Audio > Advanced > Input Plugins > DSP. By default it is a fairly aggressive filter which starts at 24 KHz. If you want higher frequencies in the output file, you can adjust the filter. One option to look at the frequencies in the output file is a little free program called SPEC. You can use it to see the effect of the filters on the output files.

cupboy100

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 03:21:07 pm »

I later determined that the Marantz can play up to 128khz so had to re-convert everything from DSD to FLAC. Quite a bit of sound difference between 96khz and 128khz too. Beck Mutations sounds amazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up