INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there any way to get Carnac to run automatically for recorded tv?  (Read 4082 times)

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck

My guide source is zap2it, which provides season & episode numbers for most things.  Currently, I have to manually run Carnac to get the proper data & thumbnail.  I want this to happen automatically like everything else that gets imported.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Is there any way to get Carnac to run automatically for recorded tv?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:05:52 am »

Season and episode are automatically imported on recording and are automatically incorporated into file name, if the xmltv file contains them.

20.0.21 (10/6/2014)

3. NEW: MC will load Season and Episode numbers from XMLTV file, if it contains data with system "xmltv_ns" or "common".

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92121.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81654.msg635181#msg635181

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 11:15:27 am »

Yes I know.  But Carnac is not automatically running "Get Movie & TV Info" on import for recorded tv, like I think it should.

Previously with the default guide data, you could not run Carnac on recorded tv since Season & Episode were not populated (at least in my case).  Now with the zap2it guide data that includes Season & Episode numbers, I can run Carnac, but I have to manually do it.  I don't want to manually do it.

To simplify, I want my recorded tv to have metadata & thumbnail from thetvdb.com automatically as it's imported.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 03:49:42 pm »

I asked if this was possible a while ago, and never got a response...I hope it becomes possible so that we can have better info on recorded TV.

For me, it would be helpful to run it only on media sub-type TV Show, so that movies don't get wrongly tagged, but I would take it either way.

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 05:21:29 pm »

The problem I've been encountering lately if I change the metadata for recorded tv is that MC will record an episode that it already has recorded.  So, now I will have the same episode recorded twice...one with the metadata I manually obtained from thetvdb.com and the other with the guide data.

Either MC needs to be smarter with understanding not to record an episode that has already been recorded, or I just need to forget about the whole thing of getting proper metadata and thumbnails for recorded tv and switch back to the default guide.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 05:33:46 pm »

The problem with running CARNAC automatically on all TV recordings is that sometimes you are going to get worse data than you already had from the EPG.

For example, the "Doctor Who" versus "Doctor Who (2005)" program naming issue with The TV Database. But I also see problems with CSI, Criminal Minds, etc. I get all sorts of messed up data some times.

If it could be set by Recording Rule, to run CARNAC or not, it might work fine, as some programs are easily selected correctly from The TV Database. For others, like Doctor Who, I would leave CARNAC turned off, and run it manually at my convenience.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 02:05:30 am »

Carnac shouldn't replace any existing data.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 04:42:09 pm »

Carnac shouldn't replace any existing data.

Ah yes. Good point. So CARNAC probably is running for Codfish, but because the fields already have data, nothing gets changed.

I was thinking about when I run "Get Movie & TV Info" manually, and data does get overwritten. My bad.

No doubt it is working as intended then. Carry on.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 08:47:25 am »

I didn't realize there's a difference between Carnac and the "Get Movie & TV Info" function.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 09:24:08 am »

"Carnac" is just the functionality that extracts name, series, season, episode, etc, from the filename, so this info can then later be used to lookup metadata online. The lookup itself is not what we usually refer to as "carnac".

See here for more details: Carnac on the MC Wiki
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 06:06:59 pm »

What would be nice is the ability to 'Get Movie & TV info" on recorded TV automatically, preferably on a per subscription basis. 

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 08:40:32 pm »

What would be nice is the ability to 'Get Movie & TV info" on recorded TV automatically, preferably on a per subscription basis. 

This is what I was asking for.

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 08:42:01 pm »

Yep...just thought I would clarify.

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 10:40:32 am »

Yep...just thought I would clarify.

And you did a much better job than me.

For me, it's about consistency.  I would like to have all my shows (both recorded and otherwise) with metadata from the same quality source.  Currently, it's a mixed bag.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 01:08:23 pm »

Count me as a big +1 !

I am really happy about the xmltv_ns tag support since version 21 (season and episode from xmltv.xml files), this would really round things up  ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 07:44:04 pm »

For example, the "Doctor Who" versus "Doctor Who (2005)" program naming issue with The TV Database. But I also see problems with CSI, Criminal Minds, etc. I get all sorts of messed up data some times.

All of these examples are easy to fix.  Read:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94870.msg653750#msg653750
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 08:48:55 pm »

Thanks Glynor. I have seen your description of that method elsewhere, and have fixed my Doctor Who issues previously. I was just giving some off the top of my head examples in that post.

That thread you linked to has some good stuff in it though. Worth a read of the full thing, although I don't use BeyondTV.

Actually, I'm just working through fixing my EPG source, again, after changes that started last October(!) caused the Series field to include Series names and Episode names, plus load the Episode field. Of course that problem broke my Season and Episode lookups, which are done in EPG Collector, and also caused me to miss any recording that was set to "Exact Match" in the recording rules.

Once I am happy that those issues have been addressed, I'll move on to fixing other issues.

I appreciate the heads up though, and may even contribute a bit to that other thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up