INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie Grouping in Theater View  (Read 4261 times)

TBurrfootsIre

• Recent member
Movie Grouping in Theater View
« on: December 21, 2014, 04:51:13 pm »

OK, I followed advice in an old topic and managed to create a theater view that groups my movie series files.  However, in the created view when I hover a folder or file, info box doesn't appear.  Also no info section on right side of screen like when using grid view.  Not so worried about the later, but would like the info box to appear on hover if possible.

Are they theme dependent features and would need to be added to theme file for newly created view?  I'm using Rapier Fusion theme.  MC 20 under Windows 7.

THANKS and Merry Christmas everyone!!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Movie Grouping in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 05:45:02 pm »

I have to start grouping my movies too. Any chance you could find a link to the threads you used?

TBurrfootsIre

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:08:39 am »

I have to start grouping my movies too. Any chance you could find a link to the threads you used?

The topic I used to try and figure out how to group my movies is located here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75831.0

However, it doesn't give detailed instructions on what to do and where so I had to mess around with MC a lot.  I'm sure how I finally got it to work isn't the best or easiest way, but at least it's doing what I want for the most part.

From what I can remember, here is what I did:

First, I went through each of my movies(over 300, Ugh!!) and filled in the "Series" tag.  For all movies I wanted grouped together I entered something like 'Transformers' Collection.  Only did that to begin with but then all the movies I didn't want grouped were lumped into a folder called "Unassigned Expression" so I went back through them again and for each of those I entered the actual movie name in the "Series" tag.

To get them to show in MC I first went to "Tools/Options/Library & Folders/Manage Library Fields"  Then I selected "Add New Field" and named it "_Sort_Series_by_DateName"(without the quotes).  I set Flags to Video and chose Caculated data and entered the following expression(again, without the quotes):  "if(!isempty([Series]),[Date (year)] [Name], [Name])".   Once that's done and back to MC standard main screen, go to "VIEW/ADD VIEW/ADD LIBRARY VIEW".  In the window that opens, I selected "Empty View", named it "Movies- Grouped" and for location I selected Video\Movies(this may be different for you).  Then, I right clicked the new view and selected "Customize View".  In the resulting window, I did the following:  Set "View As" to Categories. Below that I added two entries. First I hit "Add/Library Field/Series. Believe I left all settings for it at defaults.  Then Hit "Add" again, but selected "Expression" this time. Under expression to group by I selected the expression I created earlier.  Sorting to "Date (oldest first) and Matching to "Match any".  Last step I believe is to go back to Tools/Options and select Theater View. Under Items to show, highlight Movies, select Add/Library Item from Standard View/Video\Movies- Grouped.  Once created under items to show, highlight it.  I renamed it to just Grouped but you don't have to(Don't rename it in MC statndard view).  Then select Rules for Display.  Under Rules Add Media Type as Video and Media Sub Type as Movie.

That should do it if I remember correctly.  Now when in theater view, it should be a selectable view.   Hope this helps!!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 06:15:35 am »

The info box is only available in pure file views. Once you start using categories to "group" movies, you will lose the file box, I'm afraid there is currently no way around that.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TBurrfootsIre

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 06:20:58 am »

The info box is only available in pure file views. Once you start using categories to "group" movies, you will lose the file box, I'm afraid there is currently no way around that.

:(  OK, Thanks!

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 11:08:28 am »

Thanks for the very detailed response. Seems like you did a lot of manual work. There are other threads with some expressions used to make this easier. I will try to track these down and post here. I'll look at your post again a little later when awake!

TBurrfootsIre

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:30:58 am »

Thanks for the very detailed response. Seems like you did a lot of manual work. There are other threads with some expressions used to make this easier. I will try to track these down and post here. I'll look at your post again a little later when awake!

Yes, I linked to one of them.  The problem as I Said is they don't explain how/where to do anything.  They basically just throw out expressions and I guess assume everyone knows where to use them.  Hopefully between them and my post, you can have an easier time than I did.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 11:49:24 am »

I see that now, and I even posted in that thread. Guess I am a procrastinator!

This is the thread I was thinking of. It's more up to date, and has clearer instructions. Plus it leverages some functionality in MC that has been added since 2012, iirc:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92259

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 01:06:35 pm »

I'm following all the instructions in that thread, but still not getting the results I should be getting. Either something has changed since that post in October, or the nomenclature of building a view isn't clear to me. :(
I wish movie series functionality were built in as a default view in MC.
My screens do not look the same as 6233638's.

EDIT: The trick is to not copy-paste the expressions, but rather enter their roots from the drop down menus and modify those as needed.

rec head

Re:
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 04:24:52 pm »

It seems weird that this isn't easier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up