INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbies DSD and PCM question  (Read 5423 times)

DMOrmerod

• Recent member
Newbies DSD and PCM question
« on: December 29, 2014, 07:10:39 pm »

Hi
I've enabled DSD (2x) in Studio to cater for DSD playback to my ifi Micro iDSD. But what happens to my PCM files, are they up sampled or just played as is? I've tried searching the forums and checked the wiki but can't seem to find a simple answer.

TIA
Mike

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Newbies DSD and PCM question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:34:00 pm »

If you pick DSD encoding in DSP Studio, everything will get converted to DSD.

What you probably want to do instead is pick Options > Audio > Bitstreaming > DSD.

That will play DSD files as-is (send them to the DAC as DSD) and leave your PCM files as PCM.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DMOrmerod

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 06:58:15 pm »

If you pick DSD encoding in DSP Studio, everything will get converted to DSD.

What you probably want to do instead is pick Options > Audio > Bitstreaming > DSD.

That will play DSD files as-is (send them to the DAC as DSD) and leave your PCM files as PCM.

Great, Thank You.  I did have DSD Bitstreaming enabled, but this makes things a lot clearer.

audio-4-life

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:21:49 am »

Hi,
This suggestion may be what I need to do also.  But when I pulled up DSP Studio by searching for it (there must be a more direct way?) and clicked on options, that path was not one of options. 

Also, before you address that question, what I need to do is output a DSD music file to my DAC.  The MC shows that it is playing as DSD but the DAC shows in coming in as PCM (96KS).  The DAC is Auralic Vega which supports DSD playback, and I am using MBP connected via USB cable to the DAC.

So, would your suggestion to OP also solve my problem, and if so, why do I not see the option you suggested?

Thanks

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A curious journey called "Life"
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:35:47 am »

Hello Audio-4-Life:

In the DSP Studio, go to Output Format > Output Encoding > "DSD in DoP Format" or "2xDSD in DoP" will let you play even the files in PCM format to be played as DSD64 or DSD128 respectively in your DAC. In this case, you can use other settings of DSP Studio to control those files.

If you want to play just DSD files as DSD from your DAC, going Options > Audio > Bitstreaming > DSD is the option, but your JRiver DSP Studio settings will not have any effects on the DSD files (nor can you use low-pass filter in DSD input plug-in located under Option > Audio > Advanced) because DSD file data is directly streamed bit-by-bit to your DAC.

Using above options, you shouldn't have any trouble playing DSD files as DSD at Auralic Vega.

Best regards,
Y. G.

audio-4-life

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 07:32:23 pm »

YGB,
I'm sorry it's taken a while to reply.  Just wanted to thank you for the help.  I will give it a try and post afterward.  I'm sure others that may have seen your reply will benefit as more DACs are DSD capable these days, and more titles available for download.

audio-4-life

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 08:15:03 pm »

YGB,
I followed the steps and chose the pure DSD option.    WOW!  What an amazing difference!

I'm running DSD output via usb to AURALiC Vega DAC (which now shows DSD64 on its screen) connected via unbalanced cabling to M Line Stage headphone amp to Audez'e phones.  The sound is crystal clear and very revealing. 

I'm going to be downloading and enjoying a lot of DSD music.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

John G

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 10:11:42 pm »

My pleasure, John. :)

I am glad you enjoy the new sound experience. I agree it's definitely something. I am also waiting for more high quality DSD and DXD audio sources. :)

You definitely have an excellent system there, by the way. :)

Best regards,
Y. G.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 03:57:44 am »

My preferred setting is now Streaming > DSD. So DSD are sent directly and PCM remain PCM. DSD64 and DSD 128 work fine. I only noticed that DSD258 still get converted to PCM. How do I get DSD258 native streaming (BTW I use a MAC).

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 10:23:13 pm »

Hello Paul,

If your DAC doesn't support DSD256 format, DSD256 files will play as PCM when you set the setting at Streaming > DSD. It seems that your DSD files are better than what your DAC can handle.

Best regards,
Y. G.

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 07:28:07 am »

Thanks. My OPPO HA-1 is supposed to handle DSD258 as well. It says in the manual that it supports DSD258 however "in native mode". I am puzzled what that means. So far support of DSD258 is a luxury problem for me, as I only have one album in DSD258. But just to test I want to try it out.

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 09:30:29 pm »

Hello Paul,

It may be due to OPPO HA-1, supporting DSD256 only in the native format. Since OS X doesn't support DSD natively, DSD bit streaming is done in DoP format, so it probably will not work with OPPO HA-1 at DSD256. However, if you use a Windows machine via ASIO, since DSD is natively supported by ASIO, the album will be played at DSD256 from HA-1.

Best regards,
Y. G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up