INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to stream radio in MP3 format to a DAC that doesn't decode MP3  (Read 1008 times)

TheGreatBiguini

• Junior Woodchuck

Folks,

I have a PS Audio DirectStream DAC, and just realized that some of my internet radio streams that I've set up in J River stream as MP3's. Is there a way I can transcode them to PCM so the DirectStream DAC can play them? (It does not support MP3.) TIA!  Edit: Using USB, not DLNA.

-- Bob

lobo85

• World Citizen
Re: How to stream radio in MP3 format to a DAC that doesn't decode MP3
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 10:24:09 am »

All sources of music (FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AAC, MP3, etc.) in JRiver and any other software player or hardware device decode as PCM , even going out to DAC's unless you are bitstreaming DSD signal. Try playing mp3 and other types tracks from your Hard Drive/s through the DirectStream. If that is not working you may have the playback device setup wrong or the DSP output field incorrectly configured.

TheGreatBiguini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:58:11 am »

Thanks for the reply. My output device is PS Audio PerfectWave DSD (WASAPI) and I have output format set to none, sample rate conversion to upsample anything below 44.1 khz to 44.1.  The PS Audio people seem to think that with the upsampling it should work, but it doesn't.

TheGreatBiguini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 12:27:20 pm »

OK, further experimentation reveals that it's not the bit depth - something in some of these URL's is causing J River to throw an error code and display the dreaded "Something Went wrong with Playback" message, however, after that it starts to play a few seconds later. Others I haven't yet gotten to play at all. well, i will keep experimenting, but if anyone has any further insight that would  be great!

Happy 2015 to everyone!

TheGreatBiguini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:31:48 pm »

I believe I got it to work reliably - in options, file types I had MPEG set to use FFMPEG as the playback method instead of "automatic." Seems to be working fine now with the last 3-4 URL's that i could not get to play previously, as long as Output Format upsamples to at least 44.1.

Pages: [1]   Go Up