INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remotely play music out of server  (Read 1481 times)

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My Karma ran over my Dogma
Remotely play music out of server
« on: February 16, 2003, 11:35:35 am »

How do you enable MJ8 to play songs selected remotely but actually played out the server sound card?
I want to select music from a client workstation on my LAN using Media Server. I then want to have the actual music played on the server soundcard into my whole house audio system.
When I use Media Server as it stands now, the actual music is played on my remote workstation which is what I do not want.
Thanks for any replies.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Remotely play music out of server
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2003, 12:58:28 pm »

You can do it with long RCA cables (from line-out of Sound Card to an input on your amp)..but you'll have a ton of attenuation after 12' or so. A better way would be to use a SC that has digital outs (SP/DIF...either optical or coaxial). Run the line from the SP/DIF-Out to the SP/DIF-In on the amp (if it has one) or DAC. No signal degradation this way and comp & amp can be much further apart.

You could also use something like PCAnywhere to drive the remote WS from the server.

Lastly you could use wireless send/receive towers (for audio/video). But I don't know what sound quality would be like. I think it would be pretty good on the higher end ones (~ $100 / pair).

Rx

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2003, 05:27:20 pm »

There are several other options as well, that differ from the above mentioned ideas, but I think our understanding of what you are doing differs, hence the differing suggestions.

You could download the MJ Webremote plugin, and use it for controlling what music is played on the server.  This is a simple web based tool.

You could in addition to the MJ Webremote plugin, download Glissando.  This is a flash player, that connects using the MJ Webremote functionality, but adds some things to the GUI.  This also can be used directly from a Web Browser.

You could use something called Net Remote.  I can't add anything beyond that, since I have not worked with it.

Any of these methods can be searched for in these forums, and you should be able to find the necessary info to get you started.  Personally, I use Glissando, from a Laptop in my Kitchen, to control my "server" down in the basement, that is sitting next to my home stereo that is wired in to all the speakers in my house.  I control that home stereo using a remote extender that I bought at Best Buy for $50.  It turns the stereo on and off, and all I have to do is control MJ remotely using Glissando.   Hope this helps some

Drew

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2003, 05:38:33 pm »

Ama...you are right. I missed his "I want to select music from a client workstation on my LAN using Media Server". So it's not a connection problem, it is a control problem. Your suggestions should work...so should PCAnywhere (and similar). But there is no sense in paying for some functionality that may be built in.

Rx

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2003, 06:31:38 pm »

Thanks for reply ama.
Your setup is exactly what I want to do and have been doing with an Audiotron in the basement next to the whole house AV equipment. The problem with the Audiotron is that it can only see the first 24,000 MP3s on the server before it runs out of tag memory space.

I have tried VNC and PC-Anywhere but the complexity and poor performance were not for me.

I have the web remote already and just couldn't handle the UI. I will try Glissandro and see if I can make that a happy solution.

DV8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 02:40:24 pm »

OK, now I can't get the Web Remote plug in to work on my server. Keeps telling me that "Couldn't create WebRemote listener".
I tested the plug in on my workstation where it works fine. Both of them are W2K Pro.
Any ideas on why the plug in won't work on the music server?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2003, 02:51:20 pm »

Are you running something else on the same port?

Try changing ports.
Pages: [1]   Go Up