INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unexpected EPG Behaviour  (Read 897 times)

Kevl

Unexpected EPG Behaviour
« on: January 09, 2015, 12:27:32 pm »

Am trying to sort out a channel list for TV channels.

As described here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93038.msg652141#msg652141 this involves filtering around 60 useful watchable channels from a list of around around 600 TV and radio channels.

First I used the in-built download epg from TV transmission function built into MC.

This finds lots of TV EPG data but surprisingly I then have to manually match the detected epg data with the great long list of channels. I may be some time :-)

Why is the manual intervention required? Surely given that JR tuned (and extracted channel names) during the scanning process then there really ought to be no need for this manual process. The auto match function seems not to work as it fails to automatically align named channels with identically named channels in the epg data list. Is this a bug or expected behavior?

So I then had the idea of using the fine EPG collector app (from here) http://sourceforge.net/projects/epgcollector/

This software connects to the TV card and pulls the data into an XMLTV file. After struggling to get it to download EPG data from UK Terrestrial signal I realized that its channel config file was looking at the wrong transponder 626MHz rather than 473MHz. Fixed this and it was then able to create a 20MB file with full EPG data for all of the UK free terrestrial and satellite UK channels. Further, its fine menus allow unwanted channels to be excluded from the data file with a really polished interface using a spreadsheet type interface.

I thought this would then simplify setting up MC as I can set this to import said XMLTV file and then only wanted channels get the data and I dont have to care about all the duplicate and encrypted TV channels in the MC channel list as these will have no data and wont appear in the MC Guide in theater view.

That was the plan anyway.

So cleared down old EPG data and was surprised to note that the MC XMLTV import only imported a small subset of the XMLTV channels. It did an even poorer job of auto aligning data with channel name as described above.

Looked hard for info in MC wiki etc re any special XMLTV format requirements but could find no info. Is the import routine particularly fussy?

Is anyone here using JMRC to watch TV and are there any tips for setting up the TV channels.

I have to say the audio and video from the player are outstanding using MADVR and audio settings but if I cant setup TV then its a bit of an issue.

Kev

trevoraiston

• World Citizen
Re: Unexpected EPG Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:11:12 pm »

Did you get any further?

Trevor
Trevor
CustomBuild HTPC. YAMAHA RXV673 BK A/V RCVR, AE:Floor Standing AEGIS NEO 3 SPEAKERS,Center: AE NEO 7ii BK CTR SPKR, Sub NEO 8ii BK SUB, Rear:AEGIS NEO 1 V2 SPEAKERS (BLK), Sony MDR-HW700 headphones, KDL55W829BBU SONY 55" 800HZ SMART LED TV and OPPO BDP-105DBMR MULTIREGIONED FOR BLU RAY AND DVD

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Unexpected EPG Behaviour
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:22:28 pm »

Sorry, I missed the original post in January.

There has been a lot of changes in TV set up during the last few months.  So, make sure you download the latest and try again.

Regarding EPG matching channels, we do auto match channel names.  Sometimes the EPG data file contain somethings that can not be automatically matched.  That is when you need to manually intervene.  Did you try clicking the "Auto Match" button?

My general advice is, first do a thorough clean up of your channels.  That means, 1. Hide all channels that you do not ever want to watch, or the duplicate channels (an example would be cable channels that are SD and HD respectively - you never need both).  2. Group channels that provide the same programming (for example, you may have a channel on DVB-S that is exactly the same as a counter part in DVB-T).  Then you can run EPG loading tool.

Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up