INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: JRWeb.exe high cpu usage - help please  (Read 19354 times)

lhralt

• Recent member
JRWeb.exe high cpu usage - help please
« on: January 24, 2015, 01:10:31 pm »

I'm running 20.0.61 on a Windows XP laptop as a DNLA server.

Some amount of time after I start JRiver (sometimes can be an hour, but never a few minutes), I'll hear the laptop fan at full blast. I log in, and see JRWeb.exe eating up 90% of my CPU cycles.

This has been happening on every version of 20 that I'd upgraded to.

I've searched the web and the forums here to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRWeb.exe high cpu usage - help please
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:36:28 pm »

(Note, this is less to reply but to report a similar problem without starting another topic - thanks!)

My problem is with the main executable, "Media Center 20.exe" causing a constant processor load of between 10 and 30%, even when the program window is minimized and no file is playing...
I have checked the "Reporter" tool but no background task is listed there...  I have disabled support for TV and the new WDM audio driver, but CPU load stays as before...

However, a check using another tool, "Process Explorer", reveals the following details for the topmost consuming thread:
"ntdll.dll!RtlFreeHeap+0x28d
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll!FindFirstFileW+0x16
Media Center 20.exe+0x505d7
Media Center 20.exe+0xaef7ac"

Any ideas what is causing this CPU load and how to get rid of it? Thanks in advance!
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:40:20 pm »

Please update to the build posted today and report back if that doesn't help.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:14:49 pm »

Thanks -- does that mean we're talking about a 'known issue'? If yes, and a fix is planned for the next official release ('stable' upgrade channel), then I had install that rather than an interim build...
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:32:58 pm »

It would be best to try it.  It's not much different from the current stable build.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:13 am »

0.63 seems to have settled down this issue for me, so far .63 is working slick. 

Thanks as always JRiver

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 02:36:02 pm »

0.63 seems to have settled down this issue for me, so far .

I wonder why, for none of the few changes in v. 0.63 is related to processor usage (given that TV support is disabled in my case)...

Upgrading seems but a vague solution at this point -- in the meantime, could anyone make more specific suggestions? I'd be happy to provide more details if needed. Thank you...

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 02:41:02 pm »

Why don't you just try it if so many more people are reporting success, and board moderators recommend doing just that? It only takes a minute and would settle the question if its fixed for good.

And to satisfy your curiosity, a thread was running wild and probing the drives in your system all the time, instead of only when this information was needed, which also caused floppy drives to seek if they were installed (which is the part in the changelog). Sometimes change log entries don't explain what exactly was going wrong, just the most common and visible symptom, as it makes it easier for users to spot improvements.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:41:37 pm »

There was a problem with builds since 20.0.47 where it re-probed certain kinds of drives periodically (the Floppy drive thing referenced in the build notes).

This seems to have solved a lot of people's performance problems with recent builds:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95042.0

I'd assume it impacted more than just floppy drives.  Perhaps also compact flash card readers, optical drives, and other high-latency storage options like that?  Dunno.  Guessing, but either way, if you're having performance problems that can't be tracked to some other cause, 20.0.63 (which is now the public build here on the forum, as of yesterday) is the best place to start.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 03:00:18 pm »

I'd assume it impacted more than just floppy drives.  Perhaps also compact flash card readers, optical drives, and other high-latency storage options like that?  Dunno.  Guessing, but either way, if you're having performance problems that can't be tracked to some other cause, 20.0.63 (which is now the public build here on the forum, as of yesterday) is the best place to start.

It definitely affected optical drives in my case; I was getting 100% reproducible hangs or crashes to desktop whenever another program locked a DVD drive for reading.  For example, every build after .48 every time I popped in a DVD with both MC and MakeMKV open, MC would hang or crash. The latest build fixed the issue, and also fixed some sluggishness that some of my wifi connected PCs were experiencing when connecting to a NAS.  

I had just noticed that the problems were recurring (it took several times for me to notice a pattern), and had started to troubleshoot when .63 dropped and solved them both.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 03:16:54 pm »

Thank you Hendrik & Glynor,

for almost talking me over -- For convenience, I'll wait until the new build gets notified in my MC upgrade channel, which it isn't yet, then install and see...

NB: Would that 'drive probing' issue also apply if no floppy drive is connected at all?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 03:38:04 pm »

I'd assume it impacted more than just floppy drives.  Perhaps also compact flash card readers, optical drives, and other high-latency storage options like that?  Dunno.  

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 04:00:41 pm »

I read that too, but to me "assume, perhaps & dunno" is nothing but 'informed guesswork' (which means drawing conclusions beyond your knowledge ;-)...
However since we're talking of a bug (see 'process running wild'), the behaviour is not intended to make sense anyway...

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 05:07:31 pm »

It definitely affected optical drives in my case; I was getting 100% reproducible hangs or crashes to desktop whenever another program locked a DVD drive for reading.  For example, every build after .48 every time I popped in a DVD with both MC and MakeMKV open, MC would hang or crash. The latest build fixed the issue, and also fixed some sluggishness that some of my wifi connected PCs were experiencing when connecting to a NAS.  

I had just noticed that the problems were recurring (it took several times for me to notice a pattern), and had started to troubleshoot when .63 dropped and solved them both.

+1 exactly.  so far .63 is dreamy

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 05:57:31 pm »

That might belong to a different thread... None of us here reported any crashes, just abnormal processor load.

So when will that 'dreamy' version pop up in my MC upgrade window??? I'd rather use the internal upgrade routine than download, install + archive the new one all the manual way...

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 05:58:32 pm »

It's at the top of this board.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 05:59:57 pm »

NB: Would that 'drive probing' issue also apply if no floppy drive is connected at all?

From what Hendrik said it was all drives, and he'd know, since he's one of the developers.  It probably only causes issues with high-latency drives, but that could cause all sorts of issues in certain configurations.

I read that too, but to me "assume, perhaps & dunno" is nothing but 'informed guesswork' (which means drawing conclusions beyond your knowledge ;-)...

I said it that way because I don't work for JRiver and am not looking at the code.  However, it seemed to help many users in other threads who said they didn't have floppy drives.  Then Hendrik's post in this thread (which came in simultaneously with mine) confirmed that the code change wasn't specific to floppy disks.

As Hendrik explained, they try to put the changes in the build notes as "action items", not technical descriptions of the change (which won't mean a lot to lots of users).  In this case, they discovered the problem, in part, due to users reporting that floppy drives were seeking constantly with MC open, so it got labeled with that.  Of course, since floppy drives have lights (and are very slow), they'd be easy to notice an issue like this (where on a fast, local hard drive you wouldn't ever notice).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 06:01:43 pm »

I'd rather use the internal upgrade routine than download, install + archive the new one all the manual way...

The auto-updater isn't magic.  It just downloads the builds for you, on a schedule.  The builds are the same either way.

Please read:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide#Make_Sure_You_Are_Running_the_Latest_Build

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 07:14:56 pm »

Hi, just to let all you contributors know -- my high CPU consumption problem was most likely caused by automatic import. I turned the feature off for a test, and "MC20.exe" stopped down right away!
(It should be noted that upgrading to 20.0.63 had NO effect -- hence I needed to investigate -- yet you were on the right track ;-)

I guess scanning about 1000 folders of my media collection at regular intervals caused the process to 'loop' endlessly. (Library contains over 16000 images, plus over 7000 videos, ca. 4 TB in total on external disks -- Similar to mopping a big building, once you're done at one end you just turn around to start over, but never really finish... ;-)

Thank you again & kind regards,

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:53 pm »

Actually...

Turning off Auto-Import is not intended to be a solution.  It is a troubleshooting step, to try to narrow down the cause.  It is helpful that it fixes the issue, but more in a "tells us where to look for the problem" than as a solution in-of itself.

To be clear: Auto-Import can handle Libraries an order-of-magnitude larger than the one you described.  My home Library has 36,300 images and 137,000 assets total (and there are almost 10,000 subfolders in my Audio directory path alone).  Auto-Import works just fine.  I have one at work that contains roughly 80K images and another 20K videos.

Now, one small question.  You said:

I guess scanning about 1000 folders of my media collection

Just to double-check: You don't have 1000 folders individually added to the Auto-Import Watched Folders dialog do you?  Because that may not work well.  I don't know, though I can't imagine anyone else has ever done that, if so.  But I can't imagine why you'd need to do that (why not watch the parent folders instead).

I assume, instead, you meant your Library contains 1000 folders and subfolders, and you're using Auto-Import to watch some set of parent directories (or drives) "on the top".  Is this correct?  If that's the case, then Auto-Import should work just fine in that kind of setup.  Auto-Import does NOT regularly scan all folders on your system for changes.  You're right.  That does cause performance problems with large libraries (and that's why most other similar applications have trouble with big libraries of content).  MC's Auto-Import Background Scanning is quite a bit smarter than that, though.

No.  The problem isn't that your Library is too big.  Your problem could be one of a few items, but the most likely (by far) is that one (or more) of the files or folders in the directories you were watching are corrupt or damaged in some ways.  MC tries to be "safe" when scanning the watched folders, but it can't always handle it if it encounters a thoroughly corrupt file.  In this case, just as you described, it will sometimes become "stuck" trying to process one of these corrupt file locations.

The first step is to go through some of the advice in this guide (in particular, checking the filesystem, replacing cables if possible, and checking disk health):
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Disks

Hopefully that will sort you out, but if not, there is more that can be done to hunt down the offending files.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 09:51:07 pm »

Thanks yet again for your effort Glynor, and for some new information on Auto-Import...!

Of course, I haven't added any subfolders to the import list (unless they needed to be excluded for some reason I can't think of ;-), only parents... However, I often use the "Scan now" (or whatever it says in English versions) feature which has reported a skipped folder in the past, saying it was a "system folder" -- though it has solely images in it. So perhaps some junk has gotten in there, I shall have to check...
The disks themselves should be decent quality (the sort one gets in the nearby electronics market at 100$ per 1GB storage ;-), fairly new, properly connected and all so no issues there I'm sure...
To identify problem files, it may be helpful to get a complete report upon the auto import process, but does such a feature exist?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 10:10:16 pm »

We can dig into the logs if needed, and isolate the scans to one folder set at a time to narrow them down.

The first step, though, is absolutely to check the disks themselves.  Even if they're new.  In fact, especially if they're relatively new.  New disks are always a risk until they're good and broken in (infant mortality is absolutely real, even if the observed bathtub curve isn't as deep as modeling would predict).  If they're external disks, the power supplies are much more likely culprits than the disks themselves, by the way.  The power supplies included in most USB enclosures are the absolute bottom-of-the barrel variety, and are the most common way those disks fail.

But more likely than a hardware failure is filesystem problems.  This can be caused by a variety of factors, but sudden power or data-connection loss is the most common.  Unfortunately, with external disks, this happens all too frequently (a cord gets yanked without properly dismounting the drive, and if a write was pending, you're left with filesystem damage).  But, chkdsk will almost certainly fix that up if that's the case (or, at least, detect it).

1. Run chkdsk on all drives that MC watches, and on the system drive too.

2. If the manufacturer of your disk provides a decent hardware health utility, run at least the basic tests on each disk.  You can't usually do the write tests (which require a blank disk), but you can do the basic and deep check tests.  If the disks are external, USB disks, this may be more challenging.

3. Make sure the currently logged-in-user has full permissions on the folders watched, and their entire subdirectory structures.  This is also a very common cause of issues like this.

If none of those turn up anything, then I'd probably also do:

4. Running the Windows System File Checker.  It should always come back clean, and doesn't take very long to run.

5. If the disks are connected via USB, checking your computer for new platform drivers is probably worth the effort.  If it is an Intel-based computer, this should be simple.  Also, if they're connected to a third-party USB chipset (as was common with many early USB3 ports), these are notorious for disconnects, hangs, crashes and other hard-to-diagnose failures.

Each of these items is covered in the Troubleshooting Disks guide (the drivers thing through a link, but the rest right in the article).

If you get through all that, and everything comes out clean (and you're sure the system itself has no nasty malware lurking), then (and only then) is it worth investigating the "really bad case": that actual data on the disk may have become damaged beyond repair.  This is very uncommon if there is not a hardware failure (which is why I suggest doing the disk health checks first), but it could happen.

There are other things we can check if all of that checks out too (conflict with anti-virus would be my next best guess).  Still, though...  Let's hope that it is a filesystem error.  Or, if hardware, that the disk's "automatic doctors" can detect the damage and restore the data through its block management wizardry (or, at the very least, give us a clue where to start).

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 10:16:12 pm »

NB: Have just tested to turn auto import on again (with the images directory excluded, which holds by far the most files), and "MC20.exe" went right up again to 40-50% CPU usage (for a minute -- ok for a first scan), now continues wavering between 20 and 50% every few seconds!
I'm sure no version before 20 has ever done that, and I haven't changed my system, library or MC settings in the meantime (save for a few unused options I turned off).
Would this be worth a look at some of the other changes made to MC since version 20.x?

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 10:20:12 pm »

Thanks for your extensive list of ideas... I shall try some of them tomorrow (it's very late in Germany ;-)!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 10:28:06 pm »

Would this be worth a look at some of the other changes made to MC since version 20.x?

It could be if we can narrow it down and find the particular file or set of files that is causing it, and confirm that offending files are perfectly well formed, and that the filesystem isn't broken in some way.  That's far, far, far less likely than any of the culprits I described above, however.

The issue you're describing isn't exactly common, but I have seen this behavior a number of times in the past (both personally on my own machines and on users whom I've assisted here on Interact). Every single time I've seen one of these kinds of issues, virtually identical to those you've described, it ended up being one of:

* Filesystem problems
* Permissions issues
* Disk failure (or something related like a bad cable)
* An actual corrupt file or directory (often totally-broken zero byte files)
* Malware or Anti-Virus (two sides of the same coin, really)

And maybe once or twice (in 12 years or so of helping on these forums and running my own systems):
* a particular file which, while otherwise perhaps working, is malformed or unexpected in some way and makes MC's brain hemorrhage.

Really, you hope it isn't the last item!  Well, I guess that's better than having a failed disk and corrupted files in some ways.  But, they can be a real pain to track down.  And, more often, when there are widespread problems in something so basic, there are a bunch of people here all of whom have the same symptoms (and turning off auto-import solves it for everyone).  That isn't happening here.  There were a bunch of complaints over the past few months, but for most of them turning off Auto-Import didn't help, and I think they've solved it with the latest revision.

Thanks for your extensive list of ideas... I shall try some of them tomorrow (it's very late in Germany ;-)!

Great.  Have a wonderful night!

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 10:14:33 pm »

Some news to report: I ran Chkdsk (via "diskname > properties > tools", which sadly didn't work for one of my external disks that is mounted into a folder, so has no drive letter...) and no problems were found. I only used the first scan option (file system check) though, not the second (physical faults check) as that would take ages...

I then checked all security tabs but it seems I have full access to any drive in use by MC (either as myself or admin group member) -- anyway I'm the only one using this PC, and have created any one media folder myself...
 By the way, am I right to assume that MC is accessing folders/drives under my usership/name, or does it create a new user for its own right? (I noticed some usernames with long CLSID type strings which I can't identify...)

Also, I found a folder with some game related files (several resource and proprietary video file types to display in-game only), located beneath a folder of video recordings of that game. To avoid MC scan unsupported file types unsucessfully, I've excluded that folder from my auto import list; likewise I removed another folder with *.RatDVD files that MC can't read either...

The result of these measures remains unclear... "MC20.exe" continues to boost up to 50% CPU usage, approx. once a minute, by and large as before... So I eventually decided to turn auto import off again, at least for a while or until further notice, so as to free the processor for other jobs.

I wonder though -- if it's true what the Wiki says on "Auto-Import > Background Scanning", then 50% processor load for some seconds per minute (which equals about 1 GHz on my machine) seems unrelated to one import scan per two hours!
In other words, I still think -- and this time for more reasons than before -- the fault lies within MC. Please remember, I never had the problem with any version before 20.0.61, which is only 2 weeks ago, and made no changes in between -- doesn't that speak for itself?!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 10:31:26 pm »

I then checked all security tabs but it seems I have full access to any drive in use by MC (either as myself or admin group member) -- anyway I'm the only one using this PC, and have created any one media folder myself...

The Security settings on the very top folder in Windows do not necessarily "trickle down" to files and folders below them.  One individual file down in the folder heirarchy somewhere with a non-existing user can cause this kind of problem.

It can happen for a variety of reasons.  If you are the only user, then it is easy.  Select the top level folders, take ownership of the folder and all subdirectories, and then push the security settings down to all subfiles and folders.  There are instructions for this linked in the guide I posted earlier.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 10:32:53 pm »

doesn't that speak for itself?!

No.  Not if the event causing disk corruption happened incidentally in the same timeframe.  Or an anti-virus definitions update.  Or a Windows update.  Or any number of possible things.  There are way too many variables in your case to make that determination.

This is easy to test, though.  Roll back to a previously known-good version of MC and test again.

lhralt

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 04:17:28 pm »

Hi - I tried everything on this page - upgrading to .63, and turning off auto-import.  JRWeb.exe is still at high CPU utilization

What's strange is that it takes a few days for it to happen.  If I restart MC20, things look fine. But then a day and a half to two days later, I hear my laptop fan huffing and puffing and sure enough, each time it is JRweb.exe

I also see lots of page faults - hundreds per second.  I have a larger than required page file, and I'm not running much else.

Any other thoughts?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 04:50:43 pm »

If turning off Auto-Import didn't help for you, then the advice I'm giving andrewberg doesn't apply to you.

I'd recommend looking at your Anti-Virus application as described here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide

Also, a log package as is described in that guide may assist in diagnosing the issue.  But, try with the AV application uninstalled.  If you're using Windows Defender in Windows 8 (which can't be uninstalled) or Microsoft Security Essentials, then disable it and see if MC performance improves.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2015, 06:19:38 pm »

Thanks again to Glynor for his suggestions!... For my part, it seems the problem was resolved as follows:

To find out if any of my media folder contains bad files, I excluded all watched folders from auto import (about 10 in the list, no big deal ;-) then re-included them, but ony by one, while observing the CPU. "MC20.exe" boosted right up after enabling one particular video folder that contains many web videos (some of uncertain origin, and probably badly encoded)...

In the next step, I searched this folder for files without thumbnails and/or unknown codecs (see 'compression' field), found 25 clips with "unknown audio", so I re-encoded their audio tracks. When the folder was finally re-included for import, all was fine!

The funny thing is though, all those 'bad' videos had been in my collection long before MC version 20.xx, without ever causing problems! Funnier still is the fact that, according to the specs in the Wiki, auto import should only run once in 2 hours... then why does it go crazy once every minute when scanning bad files??? Or is there yet another process working in the background, perhaps trying to fill incomplete data fields, for example 'unknown audio'?

Conclusion: MC would do better to either skip unknown/unsupported files/codecs when scanning, or support more 'legacy' types for compatibility.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2015, 07:12:20 pm »

Hi - I tried everything on this page - upgrading to .63, and turning off auto-import.  JRWeb.exe is still at high CPU utilization

What's strange is that it takes a few days for it to happen.  If I restart MC20, things look fine. But then a day and a half to two days later, I hear my laptop fan huffing and puffing and sure enough, each time it is JRweb.exe

I also see lots of page faults - hundreds per second.  I have a larger than required page file, and I'm not running much else.

Any other thoughts?

Perhaps. What you describe sounds as though you're using MC as a web server, do you?
In that case you may want to review the settings under "Options > Media Network", possibly turning off any feature you don't need and see if they match your existing library. Also, web access could be caused by services such as Amazon etc., so see if disabling those slows "JRWeb.exe" down.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2015, 08:18:17 pm »

auto import should only run once in 2 hours... then why does it go crazy once every minute when scanning bad files???

I'm not 100% sure about the 2 hours anymore.  That might be old information.

However, it is not MORE frequently than that.  If anything, it is less.  The reason you were seeing it go crazy is once it hit a bad file, it would get "stuck" and then all bets were off.  The thread was crashed, essentially.

As I said above, it does make pretty substantial efforts to be safe in scanning, but there are some files that are messed up in ways they can't possibly compensate for (at least, not without examples to test against themselves).  This was almost certainly not a case of a "legacy file type" (it supports a wide swath of old compression types).  It was much more likely a malformed legacy file type (badly encoded ages ago by a broken encoding application, or corrupted in transit somewhere).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 08:19:15 pm »

Perhaps. What you describe sounds as though you're using MC as a web server, do you?

The JRWeb.exe component does a lot more than just handle the Media Network services.

Might not be a bad idea to turn off Media Network though, as a test.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 09:06:51 pm »

The reason you were seeing it go crazy is once it hit a bad file, it would get "stuck" and then all bets were off.  The thread was crashed, essentially.
Right, that makes sense!

It was much more likely a malformed legacy file type (badly encoded ages ago by a broken encoding application, or corrupted in transit somewhere).
If this is so, then why did my older MC versions import those files without getting stuck?? As I said earlier, these files have been in my collection for ages...
Sometimes downward compatibility is reomved on purpose by developers, in order to promote new products -- Microsoft & Co. do that all the time... (You might say, the bigger the company, the more likely they do it ;-)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 11:12:21 pm »

If this is so, then why did my older MC versions import those files without getting stuck?? As I said earlier, these files have been in my collection for ages...

Without a sample, we can't know.

Did you save any of them and narrow it down such that you know one of them, in particular, was causing the problem?  It sounded like you guessed and attacked a wide swath of them.

If you have a sample, I'm sure they'll fix it if something got broken incidentally.

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2015, 02:04:19 pm »

No, I'm afraid all the 25 files in question were overwritten after re-encoding them to AAC audio (using Avidemux, which had detected AC3 audio for all of them, but the codec wasn't properly signed so MC failed to identify...)

Finally, auto import is up and running again without any flaws!

NB: To be honest, I may not have watched the CPU after all of the prior steps (checking disk health, ownerships and what else...); still it seems that excluding some subfolders (see earlier post) and fixing badly formed files did the trick!

Al ex

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2015, 12:48:36 pm »

Win 8.1/64
Running currently .063, but issue persists now for several versions:

Fan is coming up on a regular basis, I recognized that JRiver is using 20% CPU on average for no reason (nothing playing).

I think I have a similar problem with maybe some corrupted files, which cannot be analysed correctly:
Before running "Import", CPU usage of MC is at 0%

When I start Import, CPU usage goes up of course and stays there.
I recognized that MC got stuck analysing "1 of 88 files".
This happens even after doing a new import after having deleted all my audio and video folders from auto-import.

How can I identify these 88 files (or at least these ones, which are maybe corrupt)?

I looked in the log files of MC - canīt tell a lot about it, could post it here. What I have recognized is this, but not sure, if this is related:
0332563: 9128: Sharing Plugins: CHTTPListenerWorker::HandleConnection: Start
0332563: 9128: Sharing Plugins: CHTTPRequestMessage::ReadPreamble: Failed to read Method
0332563: 9128: Sharing Plugins: CHTTPListenerWorker::HandleConnection: Finish (0 ms)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2015, 01:40:01 pm »

Win 8.1/64
Running currently .063, but issue persists now for several versions:

Fan is coming up on a regular basis, I recognized that JRiver is using 20% CPU on average for no reason (nothing playing).

I think I have a similar problem with maybe some corrupted files, which cannot be analysed correctly:
Before running "Import", CPU usage of MC is at 0%

When I start Import, CPU usage goes up of course and stays there.
I recognized that MC got stuck analysing "1 of 88 files".
This happens even after doing a new import after having deleted all my audio and video folders from auto-import.

How can I identify these 88 files (or at least these ones, which are maybe corrupt)?

I looked in the log files of MC - canīt tell a lot about it, could post it here. What I have recognized is this, but not sure, if this is related:
0332563: 9128: Sharing Plugins: CHTTPListenerWorker::HandleConnection: Start
0332563: 9128: Sharing Plugins: CHTTPRequestMessage::ReadPreamble: Failed to read Method
0332563: 9128: Sharing Plugins: CHTTPListenerWorker::HandleConnection: Finish (0 ms)

If it's failing during audio analysis you can try the following diagnostic steps:

1) Check and see if all of your imported files are analyzed by creating a smartlist that looks to see if any files have empty values for one of the fields populated by the analyzer (volume level for example). 
2) Assuming all files are analyzed, turn off the option to analyze files on import temporarily.
3) Try the import again.
4) Go back to the smartlist in 1) and find the new files that don't have any audio analysis information in the tags.

That should give you your 88 files.  If it's failing before the analysis step, that won't necessarily help, but it will tell you that MC can't import the files at all for some reason.  Then you'll need to selectively include directories in the import until you find the bad one(s).

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 03:55:46 pm »

I hate to say it, but it seems my problem was NOT solved after all... Having turned "auto import" on/off a couple of times it becomes clear that CPU usage keeps pushing up to 50% several times per minute whenever auto import is ON...
With respect to the previous postings, I have now tried to log running MC processes for ~1 minute after turning auto import ON. The resulting file contains (among hundreds) these lines, would they give anyone a clue?

Code: [Select]
Media Center; Version: 20.0.63; Types: 2147483647
0000000: 2608: General: Starting logging: Date: 03.02.2015 22:10
0000000: 2608: General: Log Reset: Logging reset
0001797: 2608: General: CMCResourceHelper::GetIsModalPopupShowing: Main window disabled
0005953: 3572: Reader: CWinINetReader::Open: Start
0005953: 3572: Reader: CWinINetReader::Open: Opening http://192.168.0.229:37904/upnp/event/RenderingControl1
0005953: 5888: Reader: CWinINetReader::Thread: Start
0005953: 5888: Reader: CWinINetReader::Connect: Start
0005953: 5888: Reader: CWinINetReader::Connect: Finish (0 ms)
0005953: 5888: Reader: CWinINetReader::DownloadFromHTTPURL: Start
0005953: 5888: Reader: CWinINetReader::DownloadFromHTTPURL: Failed (header status code: 412)
0005953: 5888: Reader: CWinINetReader::DownloadFromHTTPURL: Finish (0 ms)
0005953: 5888: Reader: CWinINetReader::Thread: Finish (0 ms)
0005953: 3572: Reader: CWinINetReader::Open: ConnectToURL failed, m_bConnectError=true, URL=http://192.168.0.229:37904/upnp/event/RenderingControl1
(and so on...)

I looked for lines containing the word "failed" and found the following bit repeated many times in this 1 minute log:
"0005953: 5888: Reader: CWinINetReader::DownloadFromHTTPURL: Failed (header status code: 412)
[...] 0005953: 3572: Reader: CWinINetReader::Open: ConnectToURL failed, m_bConnectError=true".

Interestingly, the log section related to import does actually NOT contain failures:

Code: [Select]
0014953: 2608: General: JROptionsWnd::Finish: Command: 1
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::StartBackgroundProcessing: Start
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::StartBackgroundProcessing: Auto import enabled, starting processing
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::StartBackgroundProcessing: Starting background import
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Start
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Stopping current auto-import processing
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Creating job
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Running job
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::Import: Start
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::Import: Creating processor
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::Import: Process
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabaseProcess::Process: Start
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabaseProcess::Process: Notifying UI
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabaseProcess::Process: Starting thread
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabaseProcess::Process: Finish (0 ms)
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::Import: Finish (0 ms)
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::ImportAutoImport: Finish (0 ms)
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::UpdateWatchFolders: Start
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::UpdateWatchFolders: Finish (0 ms)
0014953: 2608: Import: CSynchronizeDatabase::StartBackgroundProcessing: Finish (0 ms)
0014953: 3596: Import: Process: Starting import (Media Center 20.0.63)
0014953: 3596: Import: GetNewFiles: Start
0014953: 3596: Import: GetNewFiles: Searching: B:\Music\
0015000: 3596: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Filename; Files: 260528; Pointer bytes: 1042260; Data bytes: 786368; Elapsed ms: 47,669
0015156: 3596: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Name; Files: 260528; Pointer bytes: 1042260; Data bytes: 6276168; Elapsed ms: 140,284
0015281: 3596: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Genre; Files: 260528; Pointer bytes: 263112; Data bytes: 16440; Elapsed ms: 20,091
0015297: 3596: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Artist; Files: 260528; Pointer bytes: 165740; Data bytes: 32832; Elapsed ms: 2,465
0015343: 3596: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Album; Files: 260528; Pointer bytes: 1042260; Data bytes: 32832; Elapsed ms: 15,616
0015359: 3596: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Track #; Files: 260528; Pointer bytes: 89564; Data bytes: 16440; Elapsed ms: 0,969
0015484: 3596: Database: CDataHolderLookupMap::Load: Field: Filename; Elapsed ms: 484,588; Data bytes: 5244608
0015484: 3596: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Library Server URL; Files: 260528; Pointer bytes: 0; Data bytes: 48; Elapsed ms: 0,423
0015547: 2608: Database: CSearchFilesHelper::GetResults: Search: [Media Type]=[Audio],[Video],[Unbekannt],[Data],[Image],[Playlist],[TV]; Elapsed ms: 0,492
0015547: 2608: Database: CSearchFilesHelper::GetResults: Search: [Media Type]=[Audio],[Unbekannt],[TV],[Video],[Data],[Image],[Playlist]; Elapsed ms: 0,226
0015562: 2608: Database: CSearchFilesHelper::GetResults: Search: [Media Type]=[Audio],[Playlist],[Unbekannt],[Data],[Image],[TV],[Video]; Elapsed ms: 0,325
0015562: 2608: Database: CSearchFilesHelper::GetResults: Search: [Media Type]=[Video],[Unbekannt],[Image],[TV]; Elapsed ms: 0,345
0015562: 2608: Database: CSearchFilesHelper::GetResults: Search: [Media Type]=[Unbekannt],[Audio],[Data],[Image],[Playlist],[TV],[Video]; Elapsed ms: 0,489
0015593: 2608: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Start
0015593: 2608: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Finish (0 ms)
0015609: 2608: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Film-Subgenre; Files: 260528; Pointer bytes: 101948; Data bytes: 16440; Elapsed ms: 1,564
0015625: 2608: Database: CMediaFileIOLoad::Load: Loading: C:\Users\Privat\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Library\Cache\File List Sort\Cache (2).dat
0015625: 2608: Database: CSearchFilesHelper::GetResults: Search: -[Film-Subgenre]=[6. Erotik],[Anime],[] ~sort=[Date (year)],[Country]; Elapsed ms: 29,762
0015625: 2608: Database: CMediaFileIOLoad::Load: Loading: C:\Users\Privat\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Library\Cache\File List Sort\Cache (3).dat
0015625: 2608: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Start
0015703: 2608: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Thumbnail Offset Small; Files: 260550; Pointer bytes: 1042348; Data bytes: 1131032; Elapsed ms: 59,958
0015703: 2608: Database: CMediaInfoArraySort::Sort: Files: 22; Elapsed ms: 0,063
0015703: 2608: General: CMJFileListCtrl::SetItemCount: Start
0015703: 2608: General: CMJFileListCtrl::SetItemCount: Finish (0 ms)
0015703: 2608: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Finish (78 ms)
0015750: 2608: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Series; Files: 260550; Pointer bytes: 108140; Data bytes: 16440; Elapsed ms: 2,435
0015953: 3596: Import: GetNewFiles: Searching: B:\2. Animate\
0016015: 3596: Import: GetNewFiles: Searching: B:\3. Frolics\
0016156: 3596: Import: GetNewFiles: Searching: B:\4. Funn\
0016250: 3596: Import: GetNewFiles: Searching: B:\Dokus\
0016281: 3596: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Playback Range; Files: 260550; Pointer bytes: 0; Data bytes: 48; Elapsed ms: 0,337
0016500: 3596: Import: GetNewFiles: Searching: F:\VRecs\
0016500: 3596: Import: GetNewFiles: Finish (1547 ms)
0016500: 3596: Import: GetMissingAndUpdateFiles: Start
0016500: 3596: Import: GetMissingAndUpdateFiles: Getting files
0016531: 3596: Import: GetMissingAndUpdateFiles: Sorting files
0016547: 3596: Database: CMediaFileIOLoad::Load: Loading: C:\Users\Privat\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Library\Cache\File List Sort\Cache (1).dat

Any useful feedback much appreciated, thanks!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 03:59:07 pm »

Those http failed things don't mean much generally, some sockets just regularly time out when nothing is happening, its perfectly normal behavior.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 04:04:03 pm »

I see, fine. The only thing not normal is my CPU boosting up constantly (only stopping down once auto import is OFF)...
Did you look at the other log lines too? What else can I do to get rid of that?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2015, 05:26:03 pm »

For anyone posting in this thread, it would be much more useful to post the entire log package as is described here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2015, 05:58:30 pm »

Will do. Can I submit the package by email or upload here to Interact somehow?
(Sorry, hadn't seen the attachment button neatly hidden under "Additional Options" ;-).

This attached logfile covers about 10 minutes of MC running processes. While no file was playing, all I did was - yet again - turn auto import on, watch the CPU boost up as described a few times before, then turn auto import off after 10 minutes...
It should be noted that, while the issue seems clearly related to auto import, all files in my library were perfectly scanned at the time of this log, no thumbnails are missing and no audio analysis taking place (always disabled)!

I look forward to your feedback!

(Note: I just noticed some of the attached file "System info.txt" is in German; let me know if you need translation into English ;-)

Al ex

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2015, 02:56:25 pm »

If it's failing during audio analysis you can try the following diagnostic steps:

1) Check and see if all of your imported files are analyzed by creating a smartlist that looks to see if any files have empty values for one of the fields populated by the analyzer (volume level for example). 
2) Assuming all files are analyzed, turn off the option to analyze files on import temporarily.
3) Try the import again.
4) Go back to the smartlist in 1) and find the new files that don't have any audio analysis information in the tags.

That should give you your 88 files.  If it's failing before the analysis step, that won't necessarily help, but it will tell you that MC can't import the files at all for some reason.  Then you'll need to selectively include directories in the import until you find the bad one(s).
Well, I created a smartlist with all "unanalyzed" files, anaylized them manually in batches until 3 files were left over. It happened that they were in a temporary folder of my media library.
One (an mp4) was definitely corrupted, as it wasnīt completely converted to mp4.
Two others had similar problems, so i deleted them as well.

Doing a re-run of the import process, still it got stuck on analysing "1 of 3 files".
Deleted the three files from library.

Doing a re-run of the import - now everything seems to be OK on my side!

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Re: process "Media Center 20.exe" causes high cpu usage - help please
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2015, 06:32:49 pm »

This attached logfile covers about 10 minutes of MC running processes. While no file was playing, all I did was - yet again - turn auto import on, watch the CPU boost up as described a few times before, then turn auto import off after 10 minutes...
It should be noted that, while the issue seems clearly related to auto import, all files in my library were perfectly scanned at the time of this log, no thumbnails are missing and no audio analysis taking place (always disabled)!

Will anyone provide feedback on my logfiles, please? The problem still persists, high CPU usage only stops when "Auto Import" is turned OFF. I would really like to resolve this matter, thanks!

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: process "Media Center 20.exe" causes high cpu usage - help please
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2015, 06:43:37 pm »

Will anyone provide feedback on my logfiles, please? The problem still persists, high CPU usage only stops when "Auto Import" is turned OFF. I would really like to resolve this matter, thanks!

They are in Minnesota and it is almost 7pm there...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2015, 06:57:09 pm »

There are a pile of these:
0148547: 5988: Reader: CWinINetReader::Open: ConnectToURL failed, m_bConnectError=true, URL=http://192.168.0.229:37904/upnp/event/AVTransport1

Could you turn of Media Network and post another log?  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2015, 07:02:08 pm »

There are a pile of these:
0148547: 5988: Reader: CWinINetReader::Open: ConnectToURL failed, m_bConnectError=true, URL=http://192.168.0.229:37904/upnp/event/AVTransport1

Could you turn of Media Network and post another log?  Thanks.

Thanks. Are you referring to the DLNA server? And should I start logging before or after turning that OFF?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2015, 07:28:17 pm »

Just turn Media Network off to see what happens and report back.  Tools > Options > Media Network.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up