INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: noisy CD playback; not digital/analog problem  (Read 1714 times)

mikewillnot

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
noisy CD playback; not digital/analog problem
« on: January 27, 2003, 05:48:04 am »

With 8.392 I regularly find that playing a CD (ultimately, for ripping) produces a lot of noise--loud pops, mainly.  I found that playing/ripping in WMP produces no such problem.  I posted this a few weeks back and someone suggested switchiing from digital to analog for the Audio CD setting.  I did that, and it did the trick--sort of.  Much less (almost no) noise.  My WMP settings, though, are for digital playback as well, and it's working perfectly, with clean rips.  I'd prefer not to use WMP, and have a lot of .wma rips around.  Any more thoughts about what could be wrong?  THANKS.  BTW, it's a new Gateway machine with Windows XP Pro and a combo CD/DVD burner, unknown manufacture.  

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: noisy CD playback; not digital/analog problem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 06:29:30 am »

Try going to Device Settings and check which drive type is selected. Try both "IDE" and "Aspi" to see if it makes a difference.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

mikewillnot

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 07:33:56 am »

Thanks.  I'll give it a try, tomorrow.  It's my office machine, and I don't have any CD's here today.  How would one know what the setting "should" be for this drive in the first place?  

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 12:15:37 pm »

Your not running WMP v9 are you? It messes with MJ (usually in a more direct manner than what your seeing).

10-27

mikewillnot

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 09:28:57 am »

I've tried all the above suggestions, including the setting for drive type.  It's set at IDE, and that's the only setting that works at all; and digital playback (analog hardly helps).  New data: I don't get the behavior when playing through MusicMatch, nor through WMP (version 8, BTW); only MJB.  Also: I have the problem when playing back from CD; HOWEVER, today, a RIP from CD, using MJB, came out clean.  Still looking for suggestions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 09:35:34 am »

Have you looked carefully to see what other audio software is running?  If any, disable it.

Try a search on google for this type of problem.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 02:14:47 pm »

It's not a laptop is it? (or a desktop machine with an IRDA infra-red interface)

I just ask as I had a laptop which had aweful scratching messy sound, until I found a fix which was to disable the IRDA adapter in the Device Manager.

This completely fixed that problem.

Just thought I'd mention it...
Cheers
Rob

mikewillnot

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2003, 05:22:55 am »

I can't find any other audio software running.  It's a desktop, with no IRDA installed.  I do have a Logitech cordless mouse/keyboard combination, but I don't see how that could be a problem.  I'll see if I have another corded set around I can try, though.  

mikewillnot

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2003, 05:44:26 am »

I don't know what this means, but I made the problem go away completely today.  I installed an additional DVD-ROM drive.  It didn't come with or seem to need any drivers, and I didn't connect it to the sound card with that little wire that it came with.  CD's now play through the system just fine, with MJB set to digital audio playback -- through either drive, both the new one and the original one, which now seems to work fine.  Go figure.  I'd love to find out what just happened, some day.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up