INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting - Questions about Tags, Filters...  (Read 1490 times)

eezetee

• World Citizen
Sorting - Questions about Tags, Filters...
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:35:08 am »

I've been reading up and I have some questions (and discovered some issues during my tests).
Day 2 of my setup ...

1)  I've imported a directory with 500 audio tracks, then I used an mp3 tagging program to modify the tags to be proper.  Now there is a red circle beside the original file.  How do I refresh the DB without deleting and re-adding? Is this a refresh or a re-find? Will it discover the new?

2) I've loaded a bunch of foreign language songs for family members. I will never be listening to these songs. Is the best way to tag those songs with the person's name and create a new "Customize View" and match just on that abritary TAG.   For example. the mp3's with the name "Bob" will only show up in that view. Or better for a particular file location like D:\MP3\Bob\*

3) If #2 is correct, do I need to go and filter out Bob from the other views? so that it isn't mixed

4) Is it possible to add BoB to the Theatre View or is the Theatre View not editable.
Found an option under Tools > Options > Theatre View    so I can make a folder caller "BoB"
However, it also seems to show things that are not "BoB"

eezetee

• World Citizen
Re: Sorting - Questions about Tags, Filters...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 06:45:20 am »

Edit to close out #4, but ended up asking another question :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 06:52:30 am »

#1 -- It seems that the files have moved.  Is that possible?  Please read the topic called "Moving Files" to read about tools to fix this.  Tagging with MC might be safer.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:11:56 am »

#1 -- It seems that the files have moved.  Is that possible?  Please read the topic called "Moving Files" to read about tools to fix this.  Tagging with MC might be safer.

Yes Jim, indeed the files did "move" after I renamed them. I'm in the initial phases of cleaning of a collection that was titled "new new stuff" and " new stuff 07/12" and such so i've got a bunch of work.

Still toying around with the TAGS and figured out how to create custom views for those that will only be in Theatre view. 

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 09:27:59 pm »

I've been able to created a new Theatre view by mimicking the Artist/Album views already predefined, added a filter based on tag (eg.  Bob=True) so that only "Bob" stuff displays there.  That seems to work well.

However, in order to not have that "Bob" stuff display in the regular view, I have to filter != Bob  right?

Is there an easier way? File Location based?

Are there best practices for sorting/tagging as the wiki is pretty slim in this area.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 09:30:19 am »

You can create a view that only shows files in a given directory or excludes files in a given directory. In Customize View just pick Set Rules for File Display and add a rule Filename (path) contains Bob  or Filename (path) does not contain Bob, assuming Bob in part of the path. You can also create a custom tag to use for display. You can set it to only allows 2 values, like Bob and Regular.   The downside of that is you have to make sure you tag each new entry. You can set up a smartlist that displays only those tracks that have that tag empty and check that periodically.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 11:13:20 am »

Hi DTC,

Thank you for your note.

If Bob is the one off list, that means i have to go to all other views and choose to ignore "bob" right. But I cannot do that for the root. For example.

Main folder is Music. I want a seperate folder for Chinese songs (or Bob),  but in order to not have those chinese songs in my AC/DC folder or the like then I have to say is not Chinese right?  Would I be better of taging all the files as English except the Chinese songs ?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 11:58:43 am »

Yes, each view that does not show the Bob files needs to have the rule to exclude them based on the filename (path). Note that you do not need to use the exact path in the rule, since there is an option "contains" or "does not contain". If you have a tag, you are still going to have to have a rule in each view to select according to the tag.  The advantage of doing the selection by filename (path) is that you do not have to be sure to enter the new tag values each time you add new albums. But either can accomplish the task.
Pages: [1]   Go Up