INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC forgot how to read/write Russian  (Read 3145 times)

impalerau

• Recent member
MC forgot how to read/write Russian
« on: February 22, 2015, 02:57:44 am »

Round 2 video import testing...

I've started with a collection of Russian videos.  Most of the directory and filenames are also in Russian.  I selected a small directory with some sub directories - about 60 files in total.  All imported pretty quickly without a hitch.  File view showed the file and directory names correctly.  Then I got over excited and selected my whole Russian collection for import - about 1600 files.  After a few minutes both CPU cores were at 100% and the system was totally unresponsive.  Eventually I managed to kill MC (via System Monitor).  When I fired it back up, all the Russian characters in file names and directories were replaced with rectangles.  Same thing when selecting a directory for import.

I even tried changing MC's language to Russian and got the same thing.  All menu text changed to rectangles.

What happened?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC forgot how to read/write Russian
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:23:43 am »

Round 2 video import testing...

I've started with a collection of Russian videos.  Most of the directory and filenames are also in Russian.  I selected a small directory with some sub directories - about 60 files in total.  All imported pretty quickly without a hitch.  File view showed the file and directory names correctly.  Then I got over excited and selected my whole Russian collection for import - about 1600 files.  After a few minutes both CPU cores were at 100% and the system was totally unresponsive. 
Unresponsive doesn't mean that it's not working.  Let it run.

Try restoring a backup.  MC makes them automatically.  File > Library > Restore.

impalerau

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 07:56:02 am »

Hi Jim,

Yes I figured that out.  I just paniced when the CPUS went crazy :)

There was only one backup.  Unfortunately it was taken well after MC lost its command of Russian.  I restored anyway and reimported some Russian videos.  Same story - all Russian text shows as rectangles in all MC windows.  The videos play fine.  Just have no idea what they are :)

Another difference since the loss of Russian is no thumbnails being imported.  All I see is either black rectangles with a faint film image or bright purple movie cameras on tripods.  I've tried manually importing.  It goes through the motions, retrieves data off the remote disks, heaps of CPU load but still no thumbnails.

I need to get to bed now, its a "school" night and nearly 1am here, but keen to get your feedback before resuming playing after work tomorrow.

Oh, speaking of time, did you know that MC seems to be running on GMT?  The files I just imported are showing an import time of 2:30 PM.

Hope you get to enjoy some of your Sunday :)

P.M.

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 01:11:52 am »

I have same problem with Russian symbols in MC.
Solution was to install Cyrillic fonts (xfonts).
After that go to: Tools - Options - Tree & View - Select Font... - User Defined Font String
Choose - User Defined.
Then enter the following:
-rfx-courier-medium-r-normal--15-150-75-75-m-70-iso10646-1
or
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-150-75-75-c-80-iso10646-1
My IntraLine Pixel Trim is -3 for a better arrangement of the text in buttons. 

In my opinion this is a temporary solution.
I hope the developers will make it possible to select the font and font size more humane way.
To be able to choose from a set of fonts in the OS, instead of xfonts.

impalerau

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:13:16 am »

Thanks so much P.M.  I'd swear that I saw Russian text when I first imported but maybe I imagined it :)

Anyway (for the benefit of others with the same problem), I installed ALL available Cyrillic xfonts using Synaptic and rebooted.  I tried your 2 options.  Both gave me the missing Russian text but cut off the bottoms of the English text (g,p,y etc.).  That's no good for me because I want an English interface and have both English and Russian content.  Judging by your email address, you don't have this problem :)

I had no idea where your "magic" font name strings came from (still a bit of a mystery) so I did a bit of Googling and discovered this directory - /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi.  It has a very handy text file in it called "fonts.dir".   It contains a list of all the name strings of the fonts in the directory.  After a LOT of experimenting I found 2 that worked for me:

-cronyx-times-medium-r-normal--20-140-100-100-p-74-iso10646-1

and

-cronyx-helvetica-medium-r-normal--20-140-100-100-p-77-iso10646-1

The first is a bit more elegant but I've gone with the second one for readability even if a bit chunky.  I've also done the 3 pixel trim.  There is also a 75dpi directory with a corresponding directory list but they were just too agricultural :)

Now, if I can only get the video thumbnails to generate again...

impalerau

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:49:30 am »

... doing another import and getting thumbnails  ;D

impalerau

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 06:50:27 am »

The language woes continue :(

MC now displays Russian text OK but won't recognise anything that I type in Russian.  I've tried both fonts that P.M. suggested and both of the ones that I liked.  I have a choice of question marks, rectangles or just blank space :)

Any thoughts?

P.M.

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 09:24:55 am »

Thanks so much P.M.  I'd swear that I saw Russian text when I first imported but maybe I imagined it Smiley
It is true. JRiver correct show Russian text until the system is rebooted for the first time. After that we have problems with text.

My friend after migrating from Mac OS to Lubuntu, has no such problem with text. Very strange, because i try Lubuntu and i have same problems...

I tried your 2 options.  Both gave me the missing Russian text but cut off the bottoms of the English text (g,p,y etc.).
It is strange, but possible. It was not easy to find a font that correctly displays Cyrillic.
For normal display, I had to change the parameters in bold.
-rfx-courier-medium-r-normal--15-150-75-75-m-70-iso10646-1
Perhaps even matter what the skin is selected and what the screen resolution.
To see all available font I type in terminal "xlsfonts".

All that we doing is not normal for usual users.
I hope that the developers will solve the problem with fonts.

p.s.
We can discuss this in private, in Russian)

impalerau

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 09:31:02 pm »

Thanks again P.M.  Glad to know that I'm not going mad :)  Being an IT developer myself, I'm always careful about being that user who claims that they witnessed behaviour that is clearly impossible.  But in this case it seems it IS possible - MC only recognises Cyrillic fonts the first time it is run.  Amazing!

You say that the font name strings may be changed.  I assumed that they had to match what was installed exactly.  Are you (or anyone else) able to point me to a resource that explains what each part of the string means and how they may be modified?

Can anyone help with entering tags in Russian?

P.S. P.M., I've sent you an email about this separately.

P.M.

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 03:50:13 am »

Are you (or anyone else) able to point me to a resource that explains what each part of the string means and how they may be modified?
http://www.x.org/docs/XLFD/xlfd.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up