INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Losing "saved" tag content  (Read 2037 times)

jannil

• Recent member
Losing "saved" tag content
« on: March 03, 2015, 01:29:00 pm »

Media Center 20 is in many respects a wonderful program. The use you can make of tagging information is very good, but....

You never know when the tagging information you add, is stored in the Media Center database or in the Music file!
If, for some reason, you don't have write access to a Music file stored at your NAS or similar, no information is given on where the tags were saved.
No warning like "No write access to 'filename'" or what so ever!
No problem as long as you don't move the file, but if you do, the addedinformation is lost.

In Media Center 19 a message appeared, not brilliant but far better!

(Yes, I do have write access to the file according to Windows file properties, still no information i written to the Music file)
(Yes, the option to save information in the file IF POSSIBLE is activated on the tag)

The problem seems to be the same for FLAC, WAV and DSF files.

Is there anything to do on this? I want the "warning meassage back".....

jannil

• Recent member
Re: Losing "saved" tag content
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:22:11 am »

Some more on this subject....
It seems the loss of tag information can be reduced but you have to pay attention and make a manual check yourself.

When you believe  you have made tag changes, check the date of last change in Explorer. If not altered into expected date and time, check Properties of the file(s) and make attention to the checkbox "Write protected". If checked, you most likely got the message of write protected file. If the checkbox is "filled", not checked nor unchecked, called indeterminate state, no popup message of write protection will be shown. In pratice, the file is write protected for the moment. When this state changes into unchecked, I haven't got a clue...
You can make it unchecked and apply the change.
Then:
Under Tools;Library Tools (or right mouse click) menu, choose "Update tags (from library)" to make another attempt to update the tags in the file.
If no change of the date of last change in Explorer shows up, repeat the two actions until it works.....

Two unfortunate errors/bugs/stupidities cooperate, Windows setting the indeterminate state far to often (possibly a matter of lack of "Power" of my server, 250 000 files in the storage or my lack of knowledge how to choose settings) and Media Center 20 avoiding to handle this "error like" state.

Turning the indexing service of my server off seems to decrease the problem but it is not completely gone.

dreandre

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Losing "saved" tag content
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 05:55:52 am »

Yes, I did some extensive tagging and then lost it when I transferred files to a new drive... is the a setting or something to avoid this?  I batch tag using the pane tagging feature and I would like the tags to be saved! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up