INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I cannot create a playlist: New to Mac and JRiver for Mac  (Read 1574 times)

GeorgeBoles

• Recent member
I cannot create a playlist: New to Mac and JRiver for Mac
« on: March 04, 2015, 10:07:29 am »

Hello All,

I am feeling particularly dense at 0137 a.m.

I have installed JRiver for MAC 20.0.64. It all plays nicely through my external USB DAC, using files which are on my network.

I am trying to create a playlist as follows: Create and highlight  "New Playlist" at the left of the screen> Select Tools>Import>Import a single folder>scroll through and choose the folder I want>Finish: this selects the files I want and puts them into the "Recently Imported" folder (which I can play the files from) but NOTHING goes into the "New Playlist" which I selected. Tried and tried with my tongue out in various contortions.

Then I tried dragging and dropping an individual file or a collection of files or the folder of files from the Mac Finder into the "New Playlist; Drag and drop files here" windows in the bottom left corner and they just bounce back into the Finder screen. Tried dropping onto the words and into the clear white space in that window. Bounce back.

I am ABSOLUTELY hopeless at Macintosh, and bought my MacMini purely for playing my audio files through my hifi.  I am not used to its conventions so I could be missing something here or I might be misunderstanding how JRiver makes these playlists.

Once I have got this to work, I want to automatically import my files and folders (created with EAC using something like their default folder setup), and then use the auto function to create "drawers" full of my "albums" which I can pluck out and "play".

From what I can tell, no-one else in the Google-world has such basic problems as I do.

Once I have got this to work, I want to automatically import my files and folders (created with EAC using something like their default folder setup), and then use the auto function to create "drawers" full of my "albums" which I can pluck out and "play".

(I am not looking forward to working out how to get my Help! Mono, Help!Stereo, Help!1987, and Help!LP all catalogued automatically into JRiver, along with my other titles which I have multiple different copies of, but that is another problem. I saw how to do this once on Google, but can't find it any more .... sigh.)

Thanks to anyone who can help get me round my ineptitude.

Regards,
George.

(Next time I will buy a Windows computer. I understand them at least.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: I cannot create a playlist: New to Mac and JRiver for Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:34:48 am »

I have installed JRiver for MAC 20.0.64. It all plays nicely through my external USB DAC, using files which are on my network.

I am trying to create a playlist as follows: Create and highlight  "New Playlist" at the left of the screen> Select Tools>Import>Import a single folder>scroll through and choose the folder I want>Finish: this selects the files I want and puts them into the "Recently Imported" folder (which I can play the files from) but NOTHING goes into the "New Playlist" which I selected.
Those are two separate functions.  Import what you want.  Then build a playlist from the files in your library.  Open a playlist or start a new one, then drag the files you want into it.

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A curious journey called "Life"
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:06 am »

Hello George,

Once you import a folder, the music files that you imported will be shown in Audio section of the left pane. Click on Audio tab on the left pane, then the files will be shown by Albums, Artists, Audio, Files and so on. You can drag the files from there to the Playlists on the left pane, or you can control+mouse click->Send To->Playlist and either create a new playlist or click whatever playlist you want to put the files in.

I would also configure Auto-Import to the folder where you have the music files, so that in case you add more file, they can automatically show in JRiver MediaCenter.

Actually, JRiver MediaCenter also has the CD-Rip function, so I feel that using the JRiver MediaCenter CD-Rip method would work better for you than using the EAC. I would set up the Encoder to either Apple Lossless Audio Codec or FLAC Encoder in the "Encoding" at the Options menu if you are ripping only audio CDs because ordinary Audio CDs use 16bit 44.1kHz encoding method.

I've used many different players in Mac and Windows, and for me, JRiver MediaCenter works out the best, so you are in the right hands.

Good luck! :)

Best regards,
Y. G.

GeorgeBoles

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:45:23 pm »

Thanks JimH and YG Bae.

The first thing I have learned is that an Album as I have always known it to be is no longer as I have always known it to be. Sigh.

And I cannot find the term "Images" in the menu, so it looks like JRiver for Mac does not play slideshows. Which I think means that I cannot see my high res scans of my CD folders ... I like to mull over the covers of Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band within which I can follow the words or identify the wax dummies? (I miss not having Theatre view in Mac River, too.)

YG, your answer very much suits my level of knowledge. Information like yours could be put into a "manual" for JRiver.

Regards to you both and All.
George.

Y. G. Bae

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A curious journey called "Life"
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 08:22:42 am »

Thank you for your compliment, George. I am also learning day by day.

I am sorry I couldn't help you more. The Mac version for JRiver MC is relatively new, so in my humble opinion, compared to the Windows version, there are some features still desirable, and I am certain that the people at JRiver are working on it as we speak. In Windows world, it was very easy to choose the right media player, but I had to use pretty much every commercial media player that I could get hands on in the Mac world; however, I haven't been yet to find a player as robust and intuitive as JRiver MC. I think it's because the other players started out as iTunes integrations. As you know, Apple got their hands down on iTunes' UI, but iTunes doesn't natively support some of most common high definition/resolution formats, so I feel that the feature rich player with better UX like JRiver MC has a good chance in the Mac audiophile market, and as the resolution of media becomes higher, I feel that the timing was just right for JRiver. To tell you the truth, I hope Mac version would look more OS X-ish than Window-ish and support foreign languages better, but I am sure it will happen some day. Am I right, Jim? ;)

I don't work for JRiver, but I just love music very much. :)

Best regards,
Y. G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up