INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo install - MP3 from server works, Video doesn't (Solved)  (Read 1620 times)

eezetee

• World Citizen

Installed Gizmo on android tonight for the first time. Connected to the server as how the guide details.

I'm able to play mp3's but when I attempt to play a video, I receive a "Preparing" screen then i'm sent back to the list of videos.

1)  After “Preparing” it just goes back to the Gizmo screen (quits preparing). - Solved. See Item 2

2) When I attempt to play the video on the server itself, it just hangs.  Not sure because this is a Virtual Machine?  This is similar to question 1 — But just wondering if when you play something in Gizmo, does it render on the server? if so, Theatre mode doesn’t work on the server because it says “Window cannot be displayed”  -- [/s]Solved with DirectX installed on VM and remove of HTTP Streaming setting.

3) Is it possible control another client, say a jukebox that gets its server/media from a hosting media server?  Gizmo has the option to change mode and "Choose where to play" that I hadn't seen before.

4) I’ve got a bunch of kids shows.  If I properly create Season 1 and Season 2 under Thomas the Tank (yeah I know) — I can go under “shows” and Thomas the Tank is there with all the episodes listed.    But if I just toss 10 random kids videos into a folder like Media/Kids/Random -  Some show up as Shows , some show up under Other.
D2

5) Does streaming to gizmo, both audio and video involve transcoding?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gizmo install - MP3 from server works, Video doesn't
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 01:01:33 pm »

2) When I attempt to play the video on the server itself, it just hangs.  Not sure because this is a Virtual Machine?
If video won't play on the server, it won't play in Gizmo.  Try to solve that problem first.

When you initially try to play video, MC will download some software.  Let it finish.

Try other formats of video.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:50:49 pm »

If video won't play on the server, it won't play in Gizmo.  Try to solve that problem first.

When you initially try to play video, MC will download some software.  Let it finish.

Try other formats of video.

Hi JimH. 

Thank you for your note.  I'll investigate that issue and response back. I use a VM so that way it's easy to back up and image it (it does many functions)

For the gizmo app on my android, it says "preparing" and then after about 5 seconds, cancels out.  It never seems to load anything like codecs or other stuff.

Will take a look on the VM issue.

Should I move my post to the remotes section so as to take care of question 3, 4, 5 ?

TCube

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 09:22:59 am »

Have to check in the Dev. Board but in MC19 a "hand shake" was preset to 2 MN between Server/hand held so waiting for vid. on smart phones would remain active (badly needed for vid. on 3G 4G or poor Adsl)
I will edit if relevant.
Tc

edit : Infos

That was a year ago Jan. 22nd - MC 19.0.133 - the hand shake (MC Server calling back the requesting URL) was set by Hendrik to 5 minutes  - common for all - but badly needed for MP4 vid. Thus, I am not sure about about it : Check Gizmo update, check spec. of vid. files, check other devices, check other vid.  files with Gizmo, ect.

Point 5 : Yes some pre-process is needed if you are downgrading the file size depending on your com. settings (aka low bandwidth stream) But does pre-processing means transcoding ...hum ..it needs a secondary file. Requesting a file "first" will take time to compile, requesting the same file again will call the temp. file much quicker.
But I may be wrong here as MP4 is the worst scenario for Hendrik   :D

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 11:27:20 pm »

I need to fix this VM issue before i can report back.

Right now I cannot go into full screen mode on my VM (DirectX issue) and Gizmo will only play audio, not video. 

Based on JimH's note, I'll try to get this going and report back.

3) Is it possible control another client, say a jukebox that gets its server/media from a hosting media server?

4) I’ve got a bunch of kids shows.  If I properly create Season 1 and Season 2 under Thomas the Tank (yeah I know) — I can go under “shows” and Thomas the Tank is there with all the episodes listed.    But if I just toss 10 random kids videos into a folder like Media/Kids/Random -  Some show up as Shows , some show up under Other.
D2

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 03:02:52 am »

Issue has been solved with 2 things.

1) For some reason I had http streaming enabled.  Disabled that
2) Set up the 3D environment for my VM Server which allowed the VM to go into Theatre view which JimH mentioned.

So kiddies are happy now that they can watch their videos on there.

However, side effect is that while they are playing the content, the 3 cores I have allocated to this VM jump to 100% and stay that way.  Finally after a few minutes, they drop back down. A quick fast forward of the video causes them to spike again.  This was for a fairly low-resolution video.  Not sure what happens when high def.

So I can put the gizmo issue to rest.   I guess it does indeed require transcoding on the fly as these CPU's are pegged during video playback.

Pages: [1]   Go Up