INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iTunes ratings to MC  (Read 3066 times)

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
iTunes ratings to MC
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:35:53 pm »

Haven't found this answered elsewhere.

Can I import the song ratings I have applied in my iTunes library into MC20?

It was easy enough to let MC go through my library by pointing it to the root folder. What I really want to do is import all my iTunes ratings and tags along with the file locations.

Almost all of my iTunes playlists are "smart", so to reproduce them in MC I need my metadata.
HT#1: Sony STR-DA5400ES, Polk RTi 7.1 speakers
HT#2: MC30, Frankenstein PC, Sony STR-DA5800ES, Polk RTi 3.1 speakers (bi-amped A9 mains)
Id: Original 120GB SSD NUC
Mobile: HIFI Walker H2 and H2 Touch

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: iTunes ratings to MC
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 10:49:15 pm »

Standard id3 tags will transfer fine.

All of the proprietary Apple tags (ratings, play count, etc) will need to be converted.

Try here: https://boldig.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/how-to-import-song-ratings-and-playback-statistics-from-itunes-to-foobar/

Once done, pat yourself on the back for leaving non-standard tags in the dust.

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 10:51:36 am »

Looks like this is specifically for Foobar. It also requires the Foobar Masstagger. How does this result in file tags in MC20?
HT#2: MC30, Frankenstein PC, Sony STR-DA5800ES, Polk RTi 3.1 speakers (bi-amped A9 mains)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 11:26:05 am »

Did you try all the numerous links in here?   http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=88818.0

Not coming from iTunes i can't help specifically but there is a lot of information in the link....maybe you'll get lucky!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 12:15:47 am »

Looks like this is specifically for Foobar. It also requires the Foobar Masstagger. How does this result in file tags in MC20?

Foobar and MC support the standard %rating%/[rating] tag, unlike iTunes which does its own thing. Once the tag is written MC will read it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:55:27 am »

If we could get a file from an iTunes library, we might be able to import some of the unique Apple tags.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 08:39:48 am »

Yes.  Please send a sample file to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks for your help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 07:17:07 pm »

OK, I think I understand now.

I believe iTunes saves all of the metadata in the iTunes Library file. It's an XML file that includes the tags for a particular music file and the path to the file on disc.

I don't think the iTunes library music files have the tags embedded in them, but I will send one of my tracks to Matt. Thanks for the help!

ashs

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 06:52:48 pm »

Haven't found this answered elsewhere.

Can I import the song ratings I have applied in my iTunes library into MC20?

It was easy enough to let MC go through my library by pointing it to the root folder. What I really want to do is import all my iTunes ratings and tags along with the file locations.

Almost all of my iTunes playlists are "smart", so to reproduce them in MC I need my metadata.

I've never used MC20, but if it uses standard id3 file tags for rating and playcount, you can use foobar to inscript iTunes ratings and playcounts to the file. Then it'll also show in MC20. You can read the instructions yo do so on my blog here:
https://boldig.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/how-to-import-song-ratings-and-playback-statistics-from-itunes-to-foobar/

GuitRdone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 09:12:58 pm »

So Matt helped me determine that MC looks for tags embedded in the music files themselves.

But iTunes doesn't write ratings and play counts into the music files. It keeps them in the iTunes library XML file.

So does the Foobar process described here take the iTunes tags and write them into the music files? If the answer is yes, I expect that MC20 will find the tags.

How close to right am I?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 09:50:56 pm »

Yes. I should have been more clear about iTunes "doing its own thing." It's indeed stored in its database but there are ways (that have been posted) to write them to file tags using foobar.

ashs

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 01:13:57 am »

So Matt helped me determine that MC looks for tags embedded in the music files themselves.

But iTunes doesn't write ratings and play counts into the music files. It keeps them in the iTunes library XML file.

So does the Foobar process described here take the iTunes tags and write them into the music files? If the answer is yes, I expect that MC20 will find the tags.

How close to right am I?

You're right except about the last part. I can help you write the file tags to a file, as a list, for all the songs, in whatever format you want. But getting them to music files, that is done by a foobar component, masstager. If MC20 has any such component, probably it can do the trick.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 07:19:01 am »

I think that others have used playlist export from iTunes and playlist import in MC to do this.  A playlist is created in iTunes with 5 stars, for example, then exported, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up