INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is JRiver anyway?  (Read 3006 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
Who is JRiver anyway?
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:32:51 am »

(Sorry, but a search for the string "jriver name meaning" returned no insight, so there'a new question some may have wondered about... ;-)

What does the name "JRiver" stand for, simply a imaginary brand name?  OK, we regular users know "Jim H." is a leading figure, developer, inventor or what have you. So that might explain the 'J' -- but what about the 'River'?
Frankly, although I'm used to it, I keep wondering about this name in my taskbar while having no idea what it means... To me, the title "Media Center 2X" would be sufficient.

Anyone please fill my knowledge gap!
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Who is JRiver anyway?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 11:56:41 am »

It was originally James River Group.  In around 1990, we changed it to JRiver to distinguish it from James River Corp, a very large paper company.  Shortly after that, they merged with Fort Howard and changed their name to Fort James.

A year or two ago, we changed it to JRiver, to make it work better with search engines.

I wrote this about the company in 2011, when it turned 30.
http://jriver.com/30.html

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 12:20:58 pm »

Interesting....thanks for the link and the info
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 12:28:21 pm »

It was originally James River Group.

Thank you for that historical account! So assuming a certain Mr. River actually existed, perhaps founded the company, is he still part of it today?  (If not, that may be an item worth updating... My suggestion: Preserve the 'traditional' company name for all uses but the application's title bar ;-)

A year or two ago, we changed it to JRiver, to make it work better with search engines.

Arguably, people looking for a media software solution will barely enter a term like "River" in their search engine... they will look for more relevant terms such as "media, video, audio, player" etc (unless they knew about you and where to search in the first place ;-).
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 12:32:33 pm »

Sorry.  I forgot the River part.  We're just west of the Mississippi River, on First Street North at the corner of Second Avenue North.

Map

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 12:43:18 pm »

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 01:06:01 pm »

Sorry.  I forgot the River part.  We're just west of the Mississippi River, on First Street North at the corner of Second Avenue North.

Funny, at some point I had actually considered this fact as an explanation... a curious idea! ;-)

wibblefish

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 06:40:42 pm »

I wrote this about the company in 2011, when it turned 30.
http://jriver.com/30.html

We still publish ICE.TEN and ICE.TCP for terminal emulation on Windows.

It was only after reading this article some time ago that I finally realised that the multiple copies of ICE.TEN and ICE.TCP that I purchased in about 1990 (to connect to SCO 3.2.4.2) were from the same company!
Great software then and now.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 06:43:04 pm »

We still publish ICE.TEN and ICE.TCP for terminal emulation on Windows.

It was only after reading this article some time ago that I finally realised that the multiple copies of ICE.TEN and ICE.TCP that I purchased in about 1990 (to connect to SCO 3.2.4.2) were from the same company!
Great software then and now.
Thanks!  I suppose you bought them from Custom Business Systems in London.

wibblefish

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 07:03:26 pm »

Thanks!  I suppose you bought them from Custom Business Systems in London.

I thought it was from Frontline but damned if I can recall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up