INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does MC have such a delay when switching sample rates?  (Read 847 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Why does MC have such a delay when switching sample rates?
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:25:55 pm »

Thought I would ask this since I have nothing better to do today:)

With my workstation install of MC - I have been using a TEAC UD-501 DAC on Windows 7 (WASAPI) and I love it. Been rocking it for the better part of two years now - but it's always bugged me that I can have a 16/44 track playing and then decide to fire up a 24/96 track and MC will insert a very distinct delay/pause into the proceedings - I then hear the UD-501 "click" over and the song finally begins...feels like 2-3 seconds to do this.

Is this by design? Is it my TEAC driver just being itself? Have I got some option off that I should have on - or vice versa?

Would love to know why this is - and if there is anything I can do to smooth these transitions out.

VP

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Why does MC have such a delay when switching sample rates?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 02:36:28 pm »

You can tell MC to resample everyhting to the same rate. No switch, no pause, no click.
Many DACs need a bit of time and may audibly "click" when switching rates.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Why does MC have such a delay when switching sample rates?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:59:50 pm »

The delay isn't caused by the Teac drivers, but rather by the time it takes the hardware to change sample rates and resync to the incoming stream. It varies by device. Like Hendrik said, the only way around it is to use a single sample rate for everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up